RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

Have been working with internal hydraulic tank, couldn´t get it right done so had to start all over, will post later when finished.
But the ROPS was done to satisfaction, here´s pics when sanded. The piping is breater lines for fuel and hydraulic tank, the do a loop inside ROPS and back.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I somehow overlooked this build, never having seen it before, but I just got done reading everything in your thread and this is another incredible build. The hydrostatic drive is very interesting. As big as your model now is, I think that is a interesting solution to driving the tracks. I'm really interested to see the performance of the model with the hydro motors. Everything about this build is huge! I think it's no longer a model but a functional mini-dozer!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Apprentice

Finaly got the lower hydraulic tank made (did do the copper version 3 times and steel one time). This is made exactly to available space, still made as big as possible (more oil= lower temperature).

As you can see I´m a beginner in soldering (as everything else), there´s a little to much solder here and there but main focus was to get it tight. The tank is inside the frame and can not be seen from outside if starting leaking.

The suction hoses is not connected to pump neither is return hoses to outside tank and hose between the both tanks. Total volume will be 2,3 gallon. This is the main drawback of an hydraulic system, you need a lot of oil to keep temerature as low as possible (unless you have space for a cooling fan). But as you can see there´s not much space left, still engine, servos, muffler, fuellines....... missing.
I will most likely go for a Multiplex radio with feed back system, this will make it possible to see hydraulic temperature in radio control and have a warning level set.
To Espeefan and others, from my expirence now, this is the smallest possible size to use a hydraulic system. I think my D8R is among the biggest modeldozers right now, Dozernerd had an electrical driven D11 in 1:8 I think that´s equal or maybee a little bigger, but it was gasoline-electrical drive line.
Looking forward to the big day starting up but that´s still month´s away.
Within a couple of weeks the model will be dismantled and have frame sandblasted and painted.
Dan
Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Really outstanding I wonder if you could circulate the oil through the push arms and blade. Just another line to run while plumbing the tilt cylinder. On my son's little D1 it has a power steering pump with the tiny tank. I used a big filter for added capacity. It never gets as hot as your machine will though because I don't have hydro-drive.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

Everytime I see this thread I smile. Very nice work!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

Wow, looks great and powerful!

Kerst
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I just read thru your entire thread to find out what volume hydraulic pump you're using, I didn't see it listed.

So you built four tanks to get it right or you are using all four tanks? Is the steel tank for petrol & copper for oil? Copper dissipate heat better than steel?

Do you think it'd be possible to mount a small electrical fan on each side of engine hood to draw in outside air and force the heat out the front with the exhaust gases?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for comments,
Have not thinking about the arms and blade, Steve, but that had been an needed addition. But they are already built, i´m not shure that they are tight, don´t feels like redoing them.

To the specification, Joe and all others, here´s it:

Model; Caterpillar D8R (series II)-95
Scale; 1:5,6
Length; 1,7m (67in)
Width; 0,74m (29in)
Height; 0,65m (26in)
Weight ready; ~230kg (500lbs)
Engine; Honda GX100 4-stroke, with 1:2 reduction
Muffler built to available space
Tank; 5+4L (2,3 gal) hydraulic oil, 1,5L (0,4gal) gasoline
Hydraulic pump; Casapa 6L/min double pump (shortest available)
Valves HAWE;
2pcs DL2 drive
4pcs DL1 working hydr
Hydraulic motor; EPMMS40CP
Hydraulic cyl; home made
Total parts;ca 2000pcs, tracks ca 850pcs

here´s a schematic view of the hydraulic system

About the tanks, only one to use, the copper one was 3 times rebuilt to get it tight and steel one got a little wrong angle on connections to pumps.
There will not be any place for fan, Honda engine fills rest of space. But this engine has a built in fan to cool engine, the hor air will pass out thru holes in hood (real one does it the reverse way I think). As can be seen below it´s tight fit with this engine, had to rebuild carburater/airfilter. Have been thinking on downsizing engine to GX50 but that engine is almost as big as this one, older is better??

Dan
Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Apprentice

Did get the last connection done to fuel tank (orig. hydr tank) and for upper oil tank (normaly fuel tank) incl fuel caps. Why swapping the tanks? Need all volume to oil system, the smaller one will do for Honda engine.
Next for hydr system is to get all connections on adapter to filter glued or welded togheter. Still missing is the 2 front blade cylinders, have the tube but lacking rods. then it should be done, I hope.
Tubing from fuel caps is breating lines that will be connected to lines inside ROPS.

The battery box was redone, now sliding forward with hidden box that will have reciever and battery. Brackets between ROPS and Cab foundation added.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Nice metal work. It is looking really good.

"No load is too Small"
Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Dan, it looks like your getting close. This thing should be a beast. I hope you keep the 463 intact but the 20 would be really cool too.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

awsome job on your dozer i like the size and how you have everything in it and very nice metal work can't wait to see a video and paint
Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Your skills are amazing Dan, keep us posted on all your progress. You mentioned in the past that you were going to post more photo's of Faszination Modellbau. Did your really enjoy the show ?

greg
Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for comments. Greg, didn´t know if it was of interest with more pics, but here is some more. Yes it was a very nice show, very many models of all kinds with seperated areas for each scale. A lot of producers, big and small, was there to!
This picture from on one of trucking areas in one of 6 same size halls.

A nice big grader

Did like the farming area, had all type of equipment

Scratch built models of all kinds

Scale Art and their models are something special, look at that frame, wow

New range of MAN models, all different chassis, 2-3-4 axles, trucks-tractors

Lot of part suppliers

and of course latest models like Liebherr loader and digger

this one controlled from a real scale 1:1 seat with real controls

This truck has an RC controlled crane, he built a prefab house out of concrete parts

Did do other things during this vacation, like a ride on RhB narrow gauge from Chur to Arosa with spectacular scenery (like Durango Silverton).

Have a couple more pics but not uploaded to phototbucket yet,
Dan
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Iron Art is on a distinguished road

Wow! Boy there is a lot of talent on display at that show, thanks for posting the pictures. Fred
Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Do you have more pictures yet?

Is the O&K grader 8th scale?

Someday I hope to attend one of your country's notorious rc heavy commercial exhibition shows.

You going to run your exhaust thru the stack atop the hood?

I was refering to the slim electrical fans like what's in a computer, I wouldn't think it need to be overly big, just enough to suck/blow the heat & keep the air moving within the model.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

The grader is 1/8 Joe You could use one in the Pit ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Uw1...eature=related

greg
Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Apprentice

As Greg already said, it´s a 1/8 scale, all models in this section was same scale. The 1/14 had seperate section.

You should try visiting one of the Fasination shows, have only been at one but are already planning going back this year. Think there was around 40000 visitors during 4 days open. And you can bring wife with, there´s a lot to be seen around Fredrichshafen, close to the alps, Boden see and some very nice senery.

yes, the exhaust will be coming thru stack, will build a muffler adapted to available space, probably built quite heave to absorb some noice, will test with different solutions to get a sound as proto as possible, remember that engine is a 4-cycle and will never run higher than 3000rpm (max torque). Stack has a movable cap, hope that it can flapping like original one.

Now to pics:
This Freightliner had a RC Subaro coming out of trailer when loading platform was lowered

A Scania 10x4 heavy hauler

Not so common model , Åkerman H14, givs some vibs from past when working extra at that factory

CAT dumper (on of severeral) being loaded by the 988

My self shopping around for some more much needed tools!!

The big Komatso had breaker attachment and did destroyed the building

Another image from Scale Arts booth, this time their working Meiller 3 way tipper model

One more from chair controlled model, used for precision work, putting different parts togheter

Fantastic small hydro motors for tracks, think Damitz models

Smallest construction model

Overview

Nice Volvo A40D model, don´t remember manufactor

A one of a kind Liebherr dozer in 1/8

And as said nice surroundings, here castel Neuswanstein that was used by Disney as proto for Snowwhites castle

Next on model will be during weekend when I got opertunity to take photos and messurments of interior of a 1:1 D8R. Hope this will be last trip for documentation. New parts for ripper attachment incl scraper drawbar will be welded to.
Dan
Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

Dan nice photo thanks for taking them and them with us. O and by the way the D8 looks great. Ed
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Ed,
a little correction:
Neuschwanstein is the correct spelling and it was Sleeping beauty´s castle!
Dan

Tags
1/5.6, big scale, cat, d8r, dozer