RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

Thanks for comments, sorry guys, you have to wait some time before machine can run. Sometimes when looking at the model I think it looks almost done but I know there´s still some major parts to do before first test run. I have been building this for last 8 years and to be honest, speed is higher now (thanks to the forums).
Yes Steve, I have met Bob 2 times when visiting the show, would love to go back there in august, always a lot of nice machinery and of course to see the 9W in action. As said before, have some thoughts about a drag line as next model, we´ll see.

Details, details
Well, it was not planned but I like it, added some more today, especially happy with the anti-skid (?) pattern. This part was laser cut to see if it was possible to do with acceptable result. I think it did so now I have to draw all the rest of those plates. The big ones just out side enginer doors have 501 holes each!! This could never be duplicated any other way than with laser. Tried to make the protective mesh below this plate with piano-wire (sorry, don´t know if this is the right word) and braze the parts together but it didn´t work. Have to do them in some other softer material.

Have made all covers for lamps (total 8). Lamps will be made from plexi with 10mm LED. Should be nice to have the lamps CNC cut to original shape, have made drawing but looking for someone to mill them. Some bolts will be exchanged to right look when I get them.

Together with some of the detail parts I finaly got the servo holders. Here the plate that will hold all servos for blade and ripper/scraper control. If will be bended, pics will come when mounted.

The valves for tracks will be covered by interior in cab. Here´s first test mount.

After all servos has been test mounted I will break down model to sand blast chassis and some other parts.
I´m not happy the way the cab roof was done, the original has a slight curve between side and roof. Cab was sandblasted today to braze new corners inside cab and then I will sand down outside to get correct profile.
From now I will stop adding details, (will add a nice details tomorrow but it is not assebled yet), need to make all bigger parts finished first.

When I made the track frames I did not think twice. The tubing that will keep tracks tighten was made from normal steel. That will not work when I start running the model, there will be rust and the gaskets will be destroyed. Now I´m looking for a stainless tubing to replace the old one.
Dan
Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

Looking great!

Could you just get your steel tubes chrome plated?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Dan your craftsmanship is outstanding all the detail is so great to see and to see the detail functional is amazing! I have said it before but you are a craftsman in every since of the word.. Cant wait to see more.

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Dan, this is one great model. Had to catch up on all the updates. Also, the pics of the show was fantastic!

Rob
Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Apprentice

RC farmer,cowboy, Pugs and all other, thanks!
About the tubing, have had thoughts about crome plate it before, but couldn´t remember how I put those parts together. When you mentioned it I had to look into if it could be possible. Did take the machine apart tonight (will go sandblasting this week) and could see that there´s a possibility to break the tubing from front wheel assembly. It´s only spotwelded fron inside

Not so good weldings, this was done some years ago and among the first parts that I tried to weld, have got a bit better now. Will try drill out those 4 weld spots next weekend. Did try to find some stainless tubes with 55mm in diameter but this is not available.

This is what the frame looks like when everything is taken away (oops, need to klean those work benches )

Dan
Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Dan, is 55 mm a common size from supplier's? Have you considered using chrome plated hydraulic cylinder rod? Just a thought, I don't know what's available across the "pond''. Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Very nice Dan
Every time I checkout this thread I can't believe this is a model. You are doing a great job.

greg
Old 02-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Apprentice

Neil, it looks like 55mm is a very odd size (but that also the scale I´m building in). Can not use a hyd rod, need to have a tubing because there will be some springs inside to keep tracks tightened.
Greg, thanks, you are doing a very nice model to.
Did sandblast frame (made from 8mm steel plate) and some ripper parts today, and bracket to hold drawbar for scraper is done. Can´t wait to get the frame painted, it´s much more fun to work with with paint and easier to keep clean when installing hydraulics. Have had problems with paint quality (chipping), will get answer tomorrow what´s wrong. Will end up painting with 2 comp paint to get a durable surface.

The other day I talked about one small detail, had that one put together and cleaned, here it is, the oil filter (on the real one) done from 5 laser cut pieces and 8pcs 1,4mm bolts brazed.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Are you using acid etch primer? That would bite into the metal. On my 1:1 equipment I have used acid etch on sheet metal parts and on the big parts I go with the yellow primer Caterpillar offers. Cat primer goes on nice and builds up well and it's cheap.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Apprentice

Steve, will go with 2C paint, this is more complex to deal with, mostely because I will have to paint small batches of parts, but result should be good.

Good and bad news
The good one is that I got the tubing of front track frame, will do new tubing in 55mm in steel that will be cromed and removable.
The bad part is that the cab got destroyed today, tried to get roof straight but ended up worse than before. Will probably do a new one, this time in 1 mm steel (old one is 0,7mm), was never happy with the thin sheet on the old. 1mm will be more solid and easier to work with.
Dan
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Apprentice

Photobucket up running again so latest update.
Got servo mounted to valves with test linkage, right now trying to get them working the way the real machine do. Using the v-tail mixer/function to combine the 2 servos in command of hydraulic motor valves. The model will be able to turn on spot like the big ones (having differential steering).

Here´s the blade and ripper valves with servos, I´m planning using RC right stick for both of those functions, a seperate channel switching functions.
By the way, any suggestion if servo should be mounted with or without rubber dampners. Looks like they are flexing a little bit because of rubber.

As said before, I was very satisfied with the result of simulating the anti skid pattern by laser cutting. Here´s a paper template from computer, will get the real ones on monday

The hub sides got the small cover done

Dan
Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Only 1 word to describe this build,.................WOW!! The detailing just gets better and better.

Lynn
Old 02-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

Truly amazing build. I only hope to one day build something similar.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Green Horn

Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road

This thing is just awesome Dan. Outstanding workmanship. Keep up the good work. Joe
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

That diamond tread plate looks interesting.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Fabulous craftsmanship Dan.

I would suggest leaving the rubber grommets in place with the servos as the gas engine may create some vibration within the model, which could cause some servo glitching. If the servos do glitch at all anyway, perhaps loosening the servo mounting bolts somewhat would help also... figuring out glitch within a model can be very time consuming & frustrating, here's hoping you have none of that.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

wow!!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:54 PM

Toni is on a distinguished road

Nice work Dan...
You still inspires me as you did with your loder in "killarnas kallender" back in the 70`s
The servos to the valves,,how accurate does them center from end to end under load??
and how mutch resistance is the servo working against?
My home made valves is kind of sluggish, need to solve that i guess..
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the comments, those encourange words make me try harder!

Tony, the servo-valves has not been tested yet, but Roland (builder of 988 loader) has used same series valves (german HAWE) and had no problem with normal capacity servos. The valves are balanced so servo has no more than internal friction to fight against.

Did get the anti skid plates today They turned out just as good as aspected. The big plate outside cab will be cut to fit and bended when new cab is in place. This part has 501 holes, incl some 1,6mm mounting holes for round head Torx screws.

Did the safety railings on cab from 5mm copper tubing, they will be brazed to the new cab.

When trying bend multiparts to same dimension I figured out using one of my old wises, drilled and taped for some screws. Then it´s to get right distance with moving part of wise, and you can do multiples!

Did found a piece 55mm tubing to track frame finaly too, so I´m very satisfied today.
Dan
Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

very nice!

Kerst

Tags
1/5.6, big scale, cat, d8r, dozer