RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:02 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: dresser TD40B dozer

Steve, on your links for your rail, as big as your tractor is going to be you may want to go with a double pitch chain. Not sure what your pitch scales out too but you don't want to have a pad setting on two of the links because you would have to weld both links to the pad and then you stand a chance of the pressure when going around the idlers or sprockets breaking a weld. It would be simpler to just weld one link to one pad. I started out with the same chain as you but was apprehensive of the weld giving away.
Using the doulbe pitch chain you will hit every other tooth on the spocket as well saving wear and tear, and it is flat on the profile side giving it a smother ride. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpusher9 View Post
Steve, on your links for your rail, as big as your tractor is going to be you may want to go with a double pitch chain. Not sure what your pitch scales out too but you don't want to have a pad setting on two of the links because you would have to weld both links to the pad and then you stand a chance of the pressure when going around the idlers or sprockets breaking a weld. It would be simpler to just weld one link to one pad. I started out with the same chain as you but was apprehensive of the weld giving away.
Using the doulbe pitch chain you will hit every other tooth on the spocket as well saving wear and tear, and it is flat on the profile side giving it a smother ride. Just my 2 pennies.
Joe you mean something like this ?

I had these laying around for a couple years . my pitch scales in 1:12 to .875" this is #60 double pitch . By going with these I'm 10 links shy of what I'm supposed to have (39) also , I have them , just need the bars welded to them

well you all can see this is what I did today And yes ,I'm going to attempt to run this on 1 motor and make It steer like the real machine . It is going to be in 1:12 to make sure I can get some guts in it .

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:59 PM

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

1 more pic . I had some .5x.125 bar laying around and welded some on extra links . my pads are to be 2" wide and these are 3" wide , no biggy just cut them down

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Apprentice

trucker n is on a distinguished road

thats looking great steve
Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

You can run a differential and steer via brakes on each side like a Cletrac. That will give you more push in a turn.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
You can run a differential and steer via brakes on each side like a Cletrac. That will give you more push in a turn.
I was thinking of that . how is the differential set up in the cletrac ?

IHSteve

Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Have a look at this
http://www.gizmology.net/tracked.htm
Old 10-31-2010, 09:16 PM

funny I was just reading that . very simple design . I've come up with something very similar just I'm going to use drill planetaries and a right hand drive for the diff . basically the back off the machine will be all trans/rear .

IHSteve

Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Looking good Steve. Nice and heavy! It'll push some dirt.

"No load is too Small"
Old 11-01-2010, 08:07 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, that 's what I meant on the links, except the half links have the staight profile.

Man, you must not ever sleep with all the progress you make. It is a really good start. Be sure and post details about your steering cluches and final drives. I had thought about doing that on the 9 when I was researching and just didn't think I could pull that off.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpusher9 View Post
Yeah, that 's what I meant on the links, except the half links have the staight profile.

Man, you must not ever sleep with all the progress you make. It is a really good start. Be sure and post details about your steering cluches and final drives. I had thought about doing that on the 9 when I was researching and just didn't think I could pull that off.
joe I may not do that either I started figuring $ and what the guy wanted for 2 milwaukee drills was cheaper than 1 servo for a brake . I'm hoping to keep this low budget as I got some investments I don't want to loose ( 2 kittys ) but I'm dying to have something to start on my rr in scale . heck I could get the roadbeds dun in no time flat with the big stuff . but I was hoping to have the fun way into my retirement years .LOL Now I'm doing shop work full time , I can spend the weekends on my stuff + I put a lot of planning time in this and still changing as I build , go figure LOL

IHSteve

Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Great start Steve really likin those old Skool dozers...Having those steel pads is going to add some weight and be a pushing machine...Being a TD 40 in 1/14 scale what kind of dimentions are you gone have and will your lowboy be able to handle it?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Thanks , Lou , I was going to go 1:14 but I bumped it up to 1:12 to make sure I can get some power in it and as close to scale looking as I can was a last minute change order the trailer will get a 2 axle jeep yet but since you said something , I figured my weights out . I'll need 2 more axles to be legal here so looks like a dolly is in order between the tractor and trailer . man It never ends
here's a comparison pic

IHSteve

Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

one drill motor with the planetary drive to drive one savage diff and 2 disc brakes off of a t maxx then gear out to a 4 to 1 reduction one regular servo for steering to disc brakes on each side then out to a drill planetary on each sprocket that drives the tracks then it is just like the real thing you could even put in a 3 speed with a high rpm motor then you would have a servo to shift 3 forward and 3 reverse
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td9clyde View Post
one drill motor with the planetary drive to drive one savage diff and 2 disc brakes off of a t maxx then gear out to a 4 to 1 reduction one regular servo for steering to disc brakes on each side then out to a drill planetary on each sprocket that drives the tracks then it is just like the real thing you could even put in a 3 speed with a high rpm motor then you would have a servo to shift 3 forward and 3 reverse
why is it , I just get ready to ditch a thought , and someone has to put it back on the drawing board I have what I need cept a diff , brakes and planetaries .

Old 11-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Dozer Builder

Talking Re: dresser TD40B dozer

i thought i would lighten the drawing board up
Old 11-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td9clyde View Post
i thought i would lighten the drawing board up
yea , it still got some weight on it I come up with so many ways to drive it with 1 motor but the $ the guy gave me for the 2 drills is hard to beat . my biggest cost is the sabertooth esc and a 2 spool valve for now , till I put the riper on it . I'll be back on it this weekend .

Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Dozer Builder

use the other motor from the drill for another build
Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 PM

A little more for now , until next weekend .

Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Dozer Builder

nice progress on the td 40 i can't bring myself to primer or pait a thing till it is all built then i don't have to do touch ups and try to match the paint in