RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > R/C Truck's Manufacturers/Venders/Retailers > Freddybuilt goodies

Freddybuilt goodies Add-ons for our hobby

Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Admin RIP FGD 2-12-59/12-19-11

FreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the rough
Default Side dump anyone?

Made a side dump trailer awhile back. & was toyin with the idea of producing these for sale.

Now this one in the pics works by hydraulics,which makes it kinda pricey by the time your done. I've all ready made most of one via the machine shop,& it looks darn good. So I'm thinking of getting rid of the hydraulics & useing screw drive or actuators to keep the price down.Also working on one to mount on back of truck.
Now before I go through all the steps to bring this to market.
I'm posting this for your input on this.
Is this something you boys would like to have in your fleet?
Hard to put a figure on it at this time,still researching all the different routes to take for parts to build this baby.
From what I can tell,should be reasonably priced.
So guys,please let me know your feeling on this.
Thanks!
FGD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM

jjackso5 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Side dump anyone?

Freddy, yes it sounds as though there could be a market for this, but it would be based on the cost of course. And the simplicity of the unit. Would this be a complete kit ready to use or an "add-on" to a commercially available trailer, or parts of one of these trailers. Using the hydraulic system could be the optimal in terms of realistic operation, but my thoughts would be a gear drive with a simple reduction gear system. Use steel gears, not nylon to insure long life of the unit. Maybe using a couple of the "gear reduction" units that are available commercially. Just a thought.

Thank you,

Jim
Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

It would be a cool trailer to have but what kinda $$$ range?
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Side dumping trailer with options for dumping mechanism would be the way to go. Hydraulics are nice but like you said 'expensive'. I would make a price list showing prices with each style of mechanism and see what happens. If you go this way, I would include the ESC needed for the screwdrive or actuator. Your regular dumpboxes with all of the options you list should keep you plenty busy.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: Side dump anyone?

Man, I'd love one of these! Much cooler then the more common end dumps. But to stay true to the prototype, I'd stick to hydraulics! These cylinders do not leak like the telescoping rams for end ups, which is a bonus, in my opinion. On the downside, now the tractor should have a wet kit to run the side dump, but I am sure a full contained hydraulic system could be fit to the trailer.

One thing I do want is a replica of a Jet dump trailer. They mount their cylinders on a trunnion, which stops the sudden acelleration of a side dump trailer, as the cylinders pivot near the end of the trailer's side dump travel.

If anyone can pull this off, it'd be you Freddy! Go for it! But remember us 1/16 scale Wedico guys too.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:03 PM

fuzzy is on a distinguished road

yes sir if the price is not to high i would like one. note, tub in photo may need ceinter brace to stop from bending out. i will keep an eye out for it
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Admin RIP FGD 2-12-59/12-19-11

FreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the rough

Well,this is what I've come up with so far.The changes made,were definetly in the right direction.

This style seems to work better than the first. This baby will dump mud.
But,I kinda like the looks of the first one better.
What do you boys think?
FGD

Old 04-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I'm all for the new design. Trunnions are the only way to go! Beyond that, the look isn't much different. Pretty slick trailers, no matter which one you look at. Way beyond what many of us could ever build with basic hand tools, and that's why I like these side dumps. Totally different from the usual end dumps. Your end dumps are great too, but I really like these side dumps!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 AM

Roadmasters is on a distinguished road

I like the new design too, how are you going to switch sides?

Next East Coast Minitruckers Meet:

Arioch
Old 04-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

looking good!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

lets see one in paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!