RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 10-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Default Trailer Tips and Tricks

This thread is for posting pics of trailers and what you used to build it. Questions are encouraged.

Here are some pics of my home made trailer parts.

Quad axle lowboy frame and suspension

Pup dump trailer

Two box trailers turned into single axle pups.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Last edited by Tamiya Cowboy; 10-31-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trailer Tips and Tricks

Flat bed converted to a dump trailer.

Travis

Old 10-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Out of control

Here is a pic of it hooked to my tri drive Areomax and this trailer gets a new home next Sat. Doug (firefighter30) bought it. I sold it to get some money to start a new one.

Thanks
Travis

Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Heres a few pics of trailers

modified flatbed now Drop deck - another fella had posted this kind of build previously - lower bed is a full flatbed - the upper is just longer than the jack legs.

My Dump - on a Box trailer frame (rails flanged outward for space) - the upper is all styrene and it has a 2 part extending thread drive - Double Tamiya suspension, on sub frame

LowBoy - aluminum frame with double steel arch stiffeners and steel front neck - aluminum is from Lowes - 2 sizes - neck uses Tamiya 5th wheel plate for quick attach

Modular Home Frame - All steel with custom length Wedico Axels

Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

here's some pics of my low-boy now if you don't have access to a mill to make the I beam frame you can always weld it ,braze or solder what ever you have available . Just takes some patience

I'll try to get more up in my build tread
http://173.201.47.108/showthread.php?t=51

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Backyard enginier

Mike - thanks for the compliments ......
The dump was made using CA glue. Since then I have discussed it with Travis - should have used styrene weld - I believe the joints would be much better. There are weak joints but none have popped. It has only seen the crushed rubber. I believe it to have enough power for dirt though. If you are familur with the Sand MAster units - it takes three whole hoopers to fill it.

On the low boy - I copied the pictures of a trail king into a cad program then drew over top - so the lines are there's - the details are a bit different though. Here area few more pics of the workings of the neck..... I'll look for a video of it in action - several people have taken vids over hte past two years - many don't share though....wonder why???

Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road

i have a flat bed trailer costume built by freddy and i am looking on how to secure 1/16th scale john deer tractors to the trailer with the stock flat bed chains. i have 3 tractors to hold tight to the trailer any help would be great. now the trailer has 5 loops on the side of it allready to pull chain through it but i cant figure out how to pull them tight and keep them tight . also i am 2 loops short so i need to think of another way to tighten them down. any help would be great thanx cory!

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Out of control

Cory how about something like this.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=DUB300

Travis

Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Oh I see Izzy, you used a fifth wheel on the bottom of the neck... That works for sure.

The real things have a surprisingly easy attachment method.

The trailer really looks good. Congrats..

-Mike

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Backyard enginier

Mike - check out IhBuilders home built - he is working on a really scale attachment method - very realistic..... Also if you had a chance to get a unit out of PMD - they are very realistic as well - especially if you spend the extra bucks for the hydraulic unit.

Tanker Yanker - I would strongly suggest the turn buckle concept - nice and secure - the over center binders from PMD work but are very delicate - but are fabulous for detail.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 PM

firefighter-1177 is on a distinguished road

how did you make the axels for low boy travis? They look like a great affordable option.
All the trailers look great guys, very inspiring I wish I had more time to build.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter-1177 View Post
how did you make the axels for low boy travis? They look like a great affordable option.
All the trailers look great guys, very inspiring I wish I had more time to build.
They are delrin tube with a thin brass tube inside and an aluminum axle shaft for the bearings in the wheels to run on. For the rims I driled out some plastic hex hubs and inserted a flanged bearing and drilled out the out side rim to hold another flanged bearing so each set of rims has two bearings an outer and inner. I then threaded the aluminum axle for 3 mm screws to hod the wheels on. I will post some pics in a minuite.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Out of control

Here are some pics.

Travis

Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 PM

firefighter-1177 is on a distinguished road

Sweet. Thanks Travis, I might have to borrow that idea if ya don't mind.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Out of control

No problem and good luck with your build.

Travis

Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Travis This question is directed your way. First thanks for starting this thread ,as there's going to be lots of question coming your way. First one is, You seen to have used lots of different all thread sizes, does that depend on the load weight or the length of stroke for the slider. What rpm gear drive and torque power seems best. Whats the best lift action, to push from the front to the back, or back to front. That's it for now. Thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Out of control

I use 10/32 in all of my builds but the dump trailer and it is 3/8 fine thread. The dump trailer was my first screw drive and I did not think about the fact that the sliding block would carry the load and the all thread just had to move it. All of my screw drives push from back to front. For gear reduction my traler is 32:1 with a 65 turn 540 lathe motor the two dump trucks are 50:1 carson gearmotors and the dump pup trailer is a black & decker $10 screw driver from Wall-Mart.

Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Travis This question is directed your way. First thanks for starting this thread ,as there's going to be lots of question coming your way. First one is, You seen to have used lots of different all thread sizes, does that depend on the load weight or the length of stroke for the slider. What rpm gear drive and torque power seems best. Whats the best lift action, to push from the front to the back, or back to front. That's it for now. Thanks

Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
I use 10/32 in all of my builds but the dump trailer and it is 3/8 fine thread. The dump trailer was my first screw drive and I did not think about the fact that the sliding block would carry the load and the all thread just had to move it. All of my screw drives push from back to front. For gear reduction my traler is 32:1 with a 65 turn 540 lathe motor the two dump trucks are 50:1 carson gearmotors and the dump pup trailer is a black & decker $10 screw driver from Wall-Mart.

Travis
travis , I have to correct you on 1 small thing . the thread does carry the load and the greatest of the load in the down position . your force is transfered from the motor through the thread to the carrier to the push rod to the box . now for our purpose a 10/32 treaded rod is plenty but you start increasing power and weight your gona brake something . most likely the thin threaded rod could start to bend or the body will push out at the rear hinge or in the front where your rod is connected . now like I said for what we do all the screw drive I've seen are sufficient , even over kill

IHSteve

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
travis , I have to correct you on 1 small thing . the thread does carry the load and the greatest of the load in the down position . your force is transfered from the motor through the thread to the carrier to the push rod to the box . now for our purpose a 10/32 treaded rod is plenty but you start increasing power and weight your gona brake something . most likely the thin threaded rod could start to bend or the body will push out at the rear hinge or in the front where your rod is connected . now like I said for what we do all the screw drive I've seen are sufficient , even over kill

IHSteve
Exactly Steve the block holds the weight and the rod provides the push.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Trailer Tips and Tricks

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I have a large sheet of paper in front of me right now and trying to put this down on paper. I've got the Rod thrust bearing and a piece of nylon for the slider and I'm just figuring out the length of the push rod. Looks like it's about 8". What's the normal tip angle for the box to empty, I've used 45 and hope that's high enough. I think now that I should have waited before I ordered the gear motor. I only ordered a 34 rpm and it's going to be way too slow. Look like it would be better in the 150 rpm range. Anyhow, thanks again for the help as I'm getting more on track.
Rob