RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Old School Peterbilt - First Build - lots of photos

I've tried cutting with thread and it never worked good for me. I do like the fine razor saw that X-Acto offers. It has a thin kerf and does a nice job in all types of plastic. Like everything else, you just have to take your time and go slow.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Green Horn

CrimsonCorsair is on a distinguished road

One vote for - one against! Thanks - I think I am going to try it and see what happens. I can always get another cab on eBay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

I prefer a fine tooth razer saw, I have used nylon grade checking string for cutting pvc sewer pipe. I learned that string wear's out, so keep moving to a new section of string for cutting. Don't wait for the string to break. That's my $.000002 worth.
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Green Horn

Thanks - will keep it in mind - not sure what the exchange rate is, but depending on where you live that could be a lot of money!

Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Mike I have cut 3 hoods off using an Xacto razor with no problems. They work really well!

Brian
Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Green Horn

OK - Xacto Razor's are now winning - might have to change my mind. I need to cut out AROUND the A/C hole for the 359 look - was thinking the string might be easier as it would follow the groove - but may just bite the bullet and try the razor. Thanks for all the input!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:25 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

I meant razor saw. I got a whole kit and it came with a "keyhole"saw that works great for "micro" cutting. I never cut out the breather sections that stay on the hood but this should do the trick!

Brian
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Wannabe

Snowman is on a distinguished road

I've tried sewing thread and x-acto razor saws and I am definitely most comfortable with the razor saw. There's more control, especially when cutting a straight line. Can't comment for cutting out the A/C section of the hood, but for everything else, a fine razor saw works a treat for me.

My Peterbilt build thread:
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Green Horn

Well the deed has been done...

The thread cutting method did NOT work. I could never get the thread to even start cutting the plastic before it would break. I even tried using my Xacto saw to start the cut and then insert the thread. No dice. I also tried my Xacto saw, but the blade was too thick to cut around the corners. SO - knowing that I was going to use S & P's excellent fenders, I knew I could 'hack' them off - which I did with a set of tin snips. Then I used the snips to cut around the corners and along the hood line. Doing this worked REALLY well - right up until I cracked the drivers front corner of the hood cutting through the thicker part where the grill is to be attached later. However, it is a clean crack and I am sure I can patch it.

I am happy with how well the hood fits, BUT I wanted to extend the cowl a bit for more of a Pete look so the fit may not matter as much. Anyway, after months of not working on Old School I am back in the saddle again.

Thanks for looking - as always comments are welcomed.

Note: The 'dirty' look around where I cut was intentional - I made a wash out of black paint and thinner - which I then applied around the area I was cutting. This made the indented lines on the cab where I wanted to make my cuts turn black. I cut just outside the black lines and then used a file to remove the black and I had a nice even cut right along the existing body lines.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Green Horn

To All: I have not abondoned the truck - it is just a bit delayed by a busy life. I am starting a new business and it has taken precedence for the time being. I will get back to the build when things slow down some I am still reading the boards and following builds - Go Claus!...

Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome, cant wait to see more.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Need an update, what's going on with this build?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

yea i just tuned into this one .....new pics and an update pleeeze
Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Green Horn

It is in various boxes in my craft room. To be honest I am stuck at the drilling of my rails. I just don't have the tools and at the moment I don't have the money to buy the tools. I have started a business portraying Santa and all my time and money are going towards that at the moment. After the Christmas season I hope to get back to it. Thanks for the interest - I still want to finish it, but I need some wheels, some pipes, a top for my sleeper...lots to do!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Green Horn

I an trying to get back to work on the truck - see my post in buy/sell for someone who will help me drill and tap my rails

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ead.php?t=9916

Last edited by CrimsonCorsair; 01-13-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Green Horn

Back at work but scaling back on the customization - at this point I want a working truck and will update later - or build another. Sorry about all the missing photos - I ran out of room and they wanted me to start paying to keep them all so I had to delete them. I thought I was not going back to the truck but I was wrong