RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Default Aeromax AWD flat bed.

I started this build to test out the Integy axles and as the title says it is an Aeromax with a flat bed, well sort of.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Default Re: Aeromax AWD flat bed.

And here is the sort of a flat bed part.

So when there is a trailer that needs a little more truck to pull it just pop off the bed and you have an AWD work horse.

Travis

Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Out of control

Good eye there Oztruck. It is one of many trucks I have in the build process.

Travis

Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road

Looks good there Travis Is the front axle cvd or something else?could you show turn radius full lock on both axles? where did you source them from?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhog View Post
Looks good there Travis Is the front axle cvd or something else?could you show turn radius full lock on both axles? where did you source them from?
Chris they are form Integy or you can get them from Tower Hobbies as well.

When I was playing with the axle before I installed it the knuckles will turn about 70deg and still turn free so the only real limiting factor is the off set of rim and the tire hitting the springs. With a stock front rim and a round drive hub the track width is the same as a stock axle and the turning radius is better than stock.

Travis

Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
The Man The Myth The Ledgen RUSS OF DA LOUD!

russisloud is on a distinguished road

Nice, i've been wondering about those axles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks i did find them at integy.There is a set on the bay that has lockers on all 3 axles but they are higher than the integy ones Im wanting to build a truck to put one of Izzy's dumps on
Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Ahh, a Mack CH 6x6! Sweet! How many more of these cabs do you have? I tried getting a crate, but the seller wouldn't respond to emails....
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhog View Post
Ok thanks i did find them at integy.There is a set on the bay that has lockers on all 3 axles but they are higher than the integy ones Im wanting to build a truck to put one of Izzy's dumps on
I think you will like them.

Travis.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Ahh, a Mack CH 6x6! Sweet! How many more of these cabs do you have? I tried getting a crate, but the seller wouldn't respond to emails....
I just threw the Mack out there since Oztruck ask about it. The Mack will just be a tandem drive with a dump box. I kept putting a dump box on my black Mack while I was building it and just could not resist building one. This is the only other one I have besides the Black Mack and I will tell you it cost me a good chunk of change to get it. We tried buying some of these trucks and every body has them in stock until you order them then they want to ship you some thing else instead.

Travis

Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Stepside will become famous soon enough

Travis tks for posting! Those axles look pretty BOSS!!!

Can you lock the axles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside View Post
Travis tks for posting! Those axles look pretty BOSS!!!

Can you lock the axles?
Thanks Rod and I am sure you could lock them but I just have not taken one that for apart yet.

Travis

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM

crazy4yachts is on a distinguished road

That looks really nice Travis good job man.

John
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

And another powered steering axle with the tie rod on the wrong side of the axle!!! ...you guys, do you not peel the tires off in a sharp turn, nor do you notice how it seems to slide more than it carves?

Joe
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Joe, I'm not quite sure I understand the logic behind the tie rod location. Behind, or in front, what matters most is the proper ackerman steering geometry, isn't it?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 AM
BANNED

Yes you're right Nathan, the Ackerman principle. Tie rod infront completely screws that up.

Joe
Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

I like the versatility Travis. Really good idea for someone who can't have several trucks, leaves the options open for several different functions. Thumbs up.

Ben
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Explain to me the logic behind how being in front or behind the axle makes a difference . Maybe because the way the modle axle is setup . But , in real life it doesn't make a difference as too the effect of the steering . I've seen it both ways . I believe the reason for tucking the tie rod behind the axle is more of a protection thing , whereas the axle is designed to take bending loads while the tie rod is designed for tensional loading . To put in simple terms that spinaly lil tie rod will bend fairly quick if it were to get snagged . As for sliding there are a# of factors : weight distribution , locked rears , length of truck . My paystar has the tie rod in the front , being it's long and heavy , I have no steering issue whatsoever . FWIW , it's no shelf queen

on edit : having review the Ackerman design yes in principal it should be in the back when ever possible . but also the position of the steering arm is critical to have the true Ackerman effect . If not followed , it ( in theory ) wouldn't make a difference as to what side of the axle you put the tie rod on . I would like to get a pair of these axle's just to see what can be adapted to them

Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 AM
BANNED

http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Steeri...erman_Steering

The pic above, say up is forward. Notice how the left tire (inside wheel of the turn) is so much sharper than the right? Then picture down is forward & you'll notice the opposite has happened.

I got this lil red dump trk that Freddy built, 1st load on it I peeled the tamiya floats off the rims (WTF?!). Thinking the floats didn't have enough sidewall strength, I changed them out to the Tamiya standard tire & the same thing happened.... turn the trk over for a look see & yep! tie rod infront! Something else that I took note of was this shorter wheelbase dump couldn't make turn before the entry level to the wooden ramp by the water heater. My KH which is a 6x4 too & the w/b 3.25 inches longer does make the turn without backing up.

I built some hay wagons from semi truck frames, I turned the front axles around so the tie rod is in front, made it easy to cut the tie rod tube, weld in another ball joint & bolt each side directly to the hitch tongue for easy control of the steering... what a mistake!!! you should see this thing rip up the ground while turning sharp loaded, the two tires fighting each... ofcourse the wagons still make a reasonably sharp b/c the tractor pulling them ultimately decides that, but the outside tire of the turn really rolls up the dirt b/c it's way too sharp!

Heck, even my combine with rear steering has the tie rod behind the axle. Combine cuts pretty sharp going forward, much wider turn in reverse, it will not follow the same track.

Try putting your tie rod behind the axle Steve, I'll put money on it that it turns shorter & smoother.

Joe
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

I'm about to make new knuckles for it doo to the weight I'm twisting the steer arm that you put the extension on for the drag link . on the FDM's and most real axles you have steer arms on the top and bottom of the axle . I'd like to doo the same to eliminate the extension . With a full load of logs , I might be taxing out the plastic axle . I just might put a pair of these on it . Would've been nice if the ratio was the same . But maybe these rears will werk better with my hendrixson walking beam