RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U BOLTS

Can anyone tell me where I can get u bolts that would fit the diamiter of the tamiya trailer axles? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:08 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: U BOLTS

I've been looking too! Closest thing I found was at ace hardware was black thick staple tacks. But I didn't know how to thread them when already bent... Could you use thin brass rod and thread and bend them? Just an idea.... Maybe I'll have to try that I have the perfect size at home just dint have a tap and dye set yet. Just my .02
Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I've been looking too! Closest thing I found was at ace hardware was black thick staple tacks. But I didn't know how to thread them when already bent... Could you use thin brass rod and thread and bend them? Just an idea.... Maybe I'll have to try that I have the perfect size at home just dint have a tap and dye set yet. Just my .02
Thanx Aaron, i'm like you and don't have anything to thread with. I wonder if lowes may have something...

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I think brass rod would work great, and it would be easy to bend too. You would need a 3x.5mm die and a die holder to run some threads part way up the rod, on both ends. The rod itself would have to be 3mm in diameter. Easy, right? Well usually guys like to have a slightly undersized rod, when cutting threads, but good luck finding any stocked rod that is slightly undersized just for that purpose. Nomimal diameter works fine. Especially if it's a soft material, like brass. Grind a little taper on the end, where you start the die, and it should cut fine, if you use good oil, and a high quality high speed steel die. I don't know the specific details for the exact outside diameter of rod, for a given thread and pitch, but figure 1% undersized. On small threads, and soft material, it's probably not worth worrying about! On large threads, I think .010 to .015" is plenty undersized, but this really depends on how much thread engagement you want. That's just making it complicated for hobby use, like we'd be after anyway. Readily available nominal outside diameter rod should work just fine for what you'd want to do. The machinists here may chime in and set me straight.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanx Nathan, I think I will try ace hardware and lowes to see what I can find.

Big John

Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

John, I doubt if you are going to find any 3mm taps and dies at Lowes or Ace. I thnk that they stop at 4mm, at least mine do. You can get the brass rod and the die from McMaster-Carr. I get most of my brass rod and dies from them.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
John, I doubt if you are going to find any 3mm taps and dies at Lowes or Ace. I thnk that they stop at 4mm, at least mine do. You can get the brass rod and the die from McMaster-Carr. I get most of my brass rod and dies from them.
Do they have a Web site? My lhs has2 foot servo extensions that are threaded the whole way but not sure if you would want the while thing threaded...
Old 04-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Are the U bolts you are looking for the same as the U bolts on a King Hauler and the other tractors? If so go on ebay and buy a screw bag that has them in it such as this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9405922-Tami...item56493b4cc1
Old 04-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Are the U bolts you are looking for the same as the U bolts on a King Hauler and the other tractors? If so go on ebay and buy a screw bag that has them in it such as this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9405922-Tami...item56493b4cc1
Claus they are looking for u bolts with a radius in them instead of being squared off that way they will follow the radius of the axle.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

macmasterCar

brass 3mm rod

standard brass rod you want .114"

little trick chuck your piece of rod in you drill (hand) , taper end slightly , dip in tapping fluid , and ( in low speed ) thread away to desired length and rev. drill .125 rod is to big , It'll werk but tends to slip in the drill chuck .

3.0000 mm = 0.1181
1/8" =.125

Old 04-21-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
macmasterCar

brass 3mm rod

standard brass rod you want .114"

little trick chuck your piece of rod in you drill (hand) , taper end slightly , dip in tapping fluid , and ( in low speed ) thread away to desired length and rev. drill .125 rod is to big , It'll werk but tends to slip in the drill chuck .

3.0000 mm = 0.1181
1/8" =.125
That helps me out. not sure if it helps Big John out. Not sure his question was ever answered as to if anyone knew where to buy pre made ones.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

"anyone knew where to buy pre made ones. "

not to the extent I have searched while looking for soom for my M75SX mack
haul truck

Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank you everyone who has helped. I will take everyone's suggestions into consideration. This is what I like about this board, the help everyone is willing to give.

THANK YOU!!! Big John

Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
"anyone knew where to buy pre made ones. "

not to the extent I have searched while looking for soom for my M75SX mack
haul truck

Hmmm maybe some of our fine metal venders can consider taking those on in the future. I know id take 20 right away, and im sure there would be plenty to follow.

Now with making them from brass would the brass be too soft of a metal or would it be better to use a different metal rod for strength. i would be afraid of the brass not holding shape... just a thought
Old 04-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Brass u-bolts would be pretty strong, I'd think. Especially given the job that they are doing. Simply bolting an axle to some radius arms, for instance, means there really isn't going to be a ton of lateral force pulling on them. If they are formed properly, they'll have the support of the axle tube also.

You could make u-bolts out of steel rod as well, and it would be stronger, but harder to bend nicely. Nothing a little heat with a torch couldn't take care of. You would just need a jig or something to help the process. A piece of metal, the exact diameter of the axle tubes, and a tab or plate with one hole to insert one end of the rod into. Add a nut to keep it in place. The other end wouldn't need a hole. Just add a little heat and pull the rod around the tube, till it conforms. I think you'd have the most time invested in making the jig. The rest would be easy.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Brass would be plenty strong uness you get a kink in the bend then you start over. Nathan is correct about using heat to bend. You will have a hard time bending 3mm rod without the use of heat. I have already made some stub axles for the trailer axles with no problems out of brass.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

OK, here is what I need the u-bolts for. It's a spread axle flatbed I got in a partial trade from firefighter-1177 (Ken) thanx buddy. I was going to drill through the leaf springs, but I don't have a drill press and it was to much on my hands to go at it with a hand drill.

Big John

Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM

John , I'm assuming your going to make a plate some what like the setup on the front steer axle of a truck . If you do not want to go to all the trouble making u-bolts ( would look scale ) You could make a top and bottom plate and use 4 bolts & nuts . If you have trouble with u - bolts let me know , It wouldn't take me long and they can hitch a ride with your other stuff

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
John , I'm assuming your going to make a plate some what like the setup on the front steer axle of a truck . If you do not want to go to all the trouble making u-bolts ( would look scale ) You could make a top and bottom plate and use 4 bolts & nuts . If you have trouble with u - bolts let me know , It wouldn't take me long and they can hitch a ride with your other stuff
You are correct Steve, I am planning on a plate, but I don't have anything to make them out of. I'll take you up on the u-bolts, just let me know if you need extra $$.

Thanx buddy, Big John

Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 PM

CG Bob is on a distinguished road

2-56 or 4-40 all thread or threaded pushrods can be bent to shape. I've used Sullivan threaded steel rods to make some u-bolts for a 1/8 scale boat trailer. I used the assorted double end threaded rod, cut and rethreaded as necessary prior to bending.