RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Body Shop Tech

Body Shop Tech Body mods and tricks of the trade and painting tricks here.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Big Steve is on a distinguished road
Default Paint?

Can someone help me and tell me what is the best way to paint the transmission case and frame on a King Hauler? Is it best to leave everything on the frame and spray it or pull everything off? Also what is the best primer and paint to use?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paint?

Steve...

I'm no expert on paint, but here is my advice: strip it down. Why? Because the frame and some other support bits are metal, the tranny case (and axle cases) are that black plastic (some form of styrene, as MEK works on it)

A good metal paint may be the wrong one for the plastics, and vice-versa. Not to mention that you paint it assembled, you'll end up with paint in bolt heads, and such. Plus you'll want to clean the parts well before painting, and perhaps lightly sand the frame-rails for added adhesion.

Let me guess, Cat yellow for the tranny case, and mebbe for the frame? Or am I way off. I dunno if its good for both, but I can check my can of it (from the local Cat dealer)

WhiteWolf
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Green Horn

Goose19 is on a distinguished road

I painted my frame assembled with rattle can automotive "touch up" paint, er the same brand of primer. out works just fine, but you'll use a bit more paint trying to get all the angles when its together. I would recommend scuffing everything with a scotch bright pad or some 400 grit sandpaper, and priming it apart, assemble the frame and shoot some color. the only reason I did it that way was so all the hardware holding the frame together was painted aswell as the components. get yourself a write cost hanger or some solid wire to hang the frame off, so you can maneuver it around easily. good luck, post some pics when your done!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Green Horn

REV73 is on a distinguished road

Wow Oz, you're a brave guy, I couldn't bare to go ahead and paint all the springs, and servos and such on my truck...I personally like the look of the different finishes and colours on these kits...but that's the beauty of this hobby..you do whatever makes you happy and to **** with everyone else...the color is pretty cool though!