RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Little miss fabricator

Msmaddie is on a distinguished road
Default Building me a mid 80's Chevy pick up

So this build is inspired by my last 4x4 I owned. A 1977 Chevy 2500 on 47 inch TSL's. Its going tp be Charcoal Grey though, In honor of my first Chevy. She was a 86 Silverado. (will post a pic of her as soon as I have a chance to scan it.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Building me a mid 80's Chevy pick up

Look's like you have a plan coming together. And charcoal gray is a sweet color.
I'll be watching this...love the clod

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Little miss fabricator

Thanks John. Ya I agree I love those old Chevy trucks. I think Tamiya did a good job designing this cab. It looks pretty close in all it's dimensions.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

nice start.. the clod body is a great base to work from. just wish it was a bit longer and wider to fix most of the common axles out there. here is one I did a few years ago based on a 86 chevy. using a clod body. sorry didn't mean to hijack ur thread looking forward to seeing yours u can't have enough chevy's especally in that body style.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Little miss fabricator

Lol you didn't hijack nothing. That is a beautiful truck. WOW. I agree though it would be nice if they were slightly larger but that's ok. RC4WD has some axles that are 158mm wide. So I'll be using them for future builds. This truck build is going to change directions a few times before its done. Lol trust me. I've seen me do it lol.

More of a Ford truck girl but those Box style Chevy's are up there on my list.

Where did you get the cowl hood or did you make it yourself?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Little miss fabricator

Here is a front view. I think I'm going to use Leafs. Going to be a bit more work to figure out but well worth the apperance after.

Plus I started messing around with sheet aluminum.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

WOW Msmaddie, you are doing a great job on this beast
Your metal work is supurb...I am soooooooo jealous
Can't wait to see more.

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaddie View Post
Lol you didn't hijack nothing. That is a beautiful truck. WOW. I agree though it would be nice if they were slightly larger but that's ok. RC4WD has some axles that are 158mm wide. So I'll be using them for future builds. This truck build is going to change directions a few times before its done. Lol trust me. I've seen me do it lol.

More of a Ford truck girl but those Box style Chevy's are up there on my list.

Where did you get the cowl hood or did you make it yourself?
the cowl is a is from a 1/12 scale 69 camaro model , I cut out the clod hood enough to fit in the smaller camaro hood. the hood also opens and has a small block chevy under there also from the 69 camaro lol, yeah rc4wd didn't make those axles when I build this truck, I have been thinking about rebuilding it and using a more scale axle then the tlt axles that I used

I wont hijack your thread with more pics but if u want to see the build thread you can go here
http://www.scalebuildersguild.com/fo...read.php?t=748

great job on the sheet metal fender wonderfull skills

Last edited by chaseracer; 01-20-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Little miss fabricator

Thanks for the link. that really is a nice truck you got there. I was thinking about getting that V8 that rc4wd but I think I'll save that for another project.

So I have been thinking about this wider axle issue that we all come across building the domestic trucks since the bodies tend to be slightly smaller. I think these axles I have would be similar to putting a set of axles from a F650 pr a top kick 4x4 under a normal body. So at the end of the day for a lifted scaler. It does pass if your going for a certain look.

The sheet metal work is going to be a work in progress but I'm curious now. I think I may be done with plastic bodies. Time will tell.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 AM
Little miss fabricator

Alright, Did a seperation on the front. Easy way to build a bracket and gain some height.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Little miss fabricator

So I swapped out the axle housings to the Aluminum ones and pretty well got the suspension macked up.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseracer View Post
nice start.. the clod body is a great base to work from. just wish it was a bit longer and wider to fix most of the common axles out there. here is one I did a few years ago based on a 86 chevy. using a clod body. sorry didn't mean to hijack ur thread looking forward to seeing yours u can't have enough chevy's especally in that body style.

This is a sweet looking truck.. Great Job!!!

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Little miss fabricator

This is my first attempt of trying to make molds or casts. Not sure which it is actually called. . Making a mold of the Plastic worked well. Then the the mold that I'll be using to make my aluminum hood from came out very pitty. But really good for the first shot. I wanna have it is I can mold the aluminum over top of the cast after I'm done them.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Little miss fabricator

So I decided to make my own Frame. Was running into to many issues with trying to make the SCX 10 Frame work. Plus got my new rims in, So now I have a Crawler and the Trail truck. Ill post picks of the 2 of them together some time soon.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Excellent craftsmanship as usual Msmaddie. Those wheels look great, and this ride is going to look amazing when she's finished. Keep it up girl.

Big John

Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Building me a mid 80's Chevy pick up

I'm coming in on this late but amazed non the less at these scratch built projects. Especially the aluminum axle housings, front and rear differentials.

Very nice.

~ Jeff
Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Little miss fabricator

[QUOTE=Panther F;48815]I'm coming in on this late but amazed non the less at these scratch built projects. Especially the aluminum axle housings, front and rear differentials.

Very nice.

Thanks for the kind words. I forgot to post the pic of the flat bar with The sketching for the frame rails. The axle housings are slightly modified Integy housings. Don't quote me on the manufacture. The OEM housings were Axial.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 AM
Little miss fabricator

Alright after yet another redo, I have made some progress. I installed the motor and Tranny as well swapped out the Axles for more scale looking. Lets hope I can carry forward now lol.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Little miss fabricator

Got the T-Case Mounted. Not sure if I am going to secure it from both side yet or just from the one side. I want the frame to be able to flex like the 1:1's so can't have to many cross members. As well as I have the steering almost done. Just the matter of mounting the Servo in the cab now. May post more pics tonight

P.S This is still all rough cuts, Will dissassemble after mock up to do all the filing and grinding before paint.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Little miss fabricator

Some more pics