RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road
Default IH 350B Payhauler Truck

Finally posting pictures of a project in-process. I have two, this truck in 1:14 scale and a Komatsu D65EX-15 dozer in 1:10 scale. The truck is going faster because I don't have to build an entire undercarriage. This truck is unique cause it is 4-wheel drive, rigid frame, 50-ton, with dual tires all around. I've finished rear axle area and am working on the cab. Front axle is next.

The 1:1 Truck -actually a Payhauler Corp 350C, but close enough.

Front frame is dropped and narrowed. Aluminum "soldered" the modified channel to shape.

Rear cross-member

Frame and axle layout

Rear spring bracket & hydraulic cylinder mount

Rear frame with spring brackets

Rear springs -main and helpers
Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: IH 350B Payhauler Truck

Wow this is going to be a great build!! Keep up the great work your frame and leafs look spot on!

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

I was looking for this looks great so for , Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

IH Steve and I have talked about these trucks too. I'm slowly getting ready to convert two of the old 1960's 1/16th scale ESKA Ertl Payhauler 65 trucks. These will be 2wd like the original with locking rears to help traction. I'll be machining a whole frame to keep from ruining the originals since these trucks seem to be far and few.
Did you buy a 1/25th plastic model to get your details? First Gear made some diecast versions of these in 1/25th scale a couple years ago.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Journeyman

I appreciate the kind words. Here are more pics.

I modified RC Channel axles - because I had them and they are metal. Turned the bolt bosses off and made the housing a snug fit inside a brass tube so I could make square housing and have mounting holes like the 1:1.

Rear axle & hydraulic cylinder mount.

Rear axle and spring mounting. Still need to add shocks.

The first wheel. Wheels create a lot of swarf! Will look a lot better when the hub covers get made, with all the lugs, studs and washers - and the IH emblem in the middle.

This is the trans pinion bearing block I made, since the motor will be remote mounted under the hood.

The transmission motor mount removed, case lowered, bearing block installed and ready for the driveshaft from the motor. 3-spd trans shaft modified for 4-wheel drive.

Here is the rear driveline with first set of dual tires mounted. They are RC4WD Rock Crusher II's.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
IH Steve and I have talked about these trucks too. I'm slowly getting ready to convert two of the old 1960's 1/16th scale ESKA Ertl Payhauler 65 trucks. These will be 2wd like the original with locking rears to help traction. I'll be machining a whole frame to keep from ruining the originals since these trucks seem to be far and few.
Did you buy a 1/25th plastic model to get your details? First Gear made some diecast versions of these in 1/25th scale a couple years ago.
Details come from several places: Yes, I have an unassembled AMT 1/25 model to reference, plus original IH Shop and Parts manuals and Sales literature, and 40 years' experience as an technical trainer for a dealership. I "grew up" with these trucks and have many pictures I took, plus ones from on-line sources, and my memory (though it gets a bit fuzzy sometimes!) The PH65, 95 & 100 trucks were common in quarries around KY and IN. Didn't I see an RC conversion at the Indy meet two years ago? I think Rick had it on his display.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Love all those scratch built different models, remember this when buildning the AMT version in the 80th´s. Will looking forward to see this build, guess you will need a real strong servo for the steering, a lot of weight on front axle.

Dan
Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Love all those scratch built different models, remember this when buildning the AMT version in the 80th´s. Will looking forward to see this build, guess you will need a real strong servo for the steering, a lot of weight on front axle.

Dan
You're right about the servo. Have a metal-geared one in mind - we'll if it has enough butt for the job when I get that far. I really like your AMT model and trailer rig, reminds me when I built my first 350B plastic model about the same time as yours.

Ken
Old 02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Green Horn

mack kid is on a distinguished road

Great build you have going. i was eyeing this one as build myself. I like what you done with trans. keep them pics coming
Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Man, you're making my gears turn in my head!! I need to find some time soon to start my build. It looks like you're going straight to the wheels without anymore reduction. I'm thinking of using a floating axle with a planetary setup out on the ends.
How much spring is in your leafs? Was watching one of my videos loading Brian's tri-axle and when advancing frames I noticed after every bucket full from my drag ,his truck sunk a little more.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Nice work Ken you are doing a fantastic job.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Journeyman

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Man, you're making my gears turn in my head!! I need to find some time soon to start my build. It looks like you're going straight to the wheels without anymore reduction. I'm thinking of using a floating axle with a planetary setup out on the ends.
How much spring is in your leafs? Was watching one of my videos loading Brian's tri-axle and when advancing frames I noticed after every bucket full from my drag ,his truck sunk a little more.
No further reduction beyond the diff, but do have 3:1 reduction at the motor. Using an 85T motor - 5200 RPM at 7.4V. Calculated wheel speed based on prototype max speed of 40 MPH, with my trans in 3rd gear. Since my motor turns twice the speed of the diesel, should be very close across entire speed range, since real truck has 6-spd trans. Springs are 0.028 spring steel with same number and width of leafs as real one: 9 main & 16 helper. Spring rate has not been measured. Also, shocks will have heavy coils in them. Estimated payload is 50 pounds based on dry sand and bed volume. Should not get on helpers until about 15 lbs in bed?!?! Springs on real truck are almost flat and scale at 0.048" thick but I thought that would be too stiff for the model.

A lot of "swag" in these calculations, so we'll just have to see how it all comes out.

Ken
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

This is a cool build ! I love the attention to detail.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Very nice start to a greatbuild! This should be fun to follow.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Well ken, it' about time you showed us some of your craftsmanship. Very nice work and where the dozer be?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I was digging through some of my... "Childhood toys" today and came across this Ertl model. I'm not sure that it is the same as what you're building but it reminded me of your project.

Reg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0817.JPG (45.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0820.JPG (44.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0821.JPG (45.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0822.JPG (35.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0819.JPG (39.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Journeyman

Reg, looks like you've been playing a lot with the little Payhauler! I have 4 of those in my collection, plus several more my boys played with as kids (now are 32 & 29). Also have some Hough 560 loaders to go with them. It's amazing what we hang on to, then re-discover later and have such good memories with them.

Travelling this week, so may get some time to work on the cab and hood of my truck.

Ken
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Ken your build is just great the rear section you have not missed anything it looks prefect..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

I was goofing around on Youtube this morning and ran across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmVD...eature=channel
Has a Payhauler in action towards the end.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Journeyman

Jared, thanks for the reference. Haven't found too many videos of these trucks working - would really like to see one in a slurry pond or some other soft material where the 4-wheel drive gets a good workout.

Ken