RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road
Default Mack R Model

Started on my 3rd Mack R model Build. This Mack will represent the late 80's early 90's work horse. I plan on using this to pull a Short 24' frameless end dump that is common here in Chicago. It will also go good with my flat bed or maybe even a 2 axel lowboy some day. A Pure Chicago construction kind of tractor.
It has a Tamiya 35 turn motor with a RC4WD Disruptor Planetary reduction unit. It sits on a stock Globeliner frame rails. upgraded Hi tec heavy duty servo, and room under the cab for a 7 cell battery. It will be a single stack Mack with Aluminum tanks, Battery boxes and bumper. Both axels are locked in and I will be upgrading it to metal driveshaft's. Im up in the air on what wheels I will be using but Im thinking some aluminum 10 holes up front and 3d printed spokes for the rear or just alum all the way around?. it will look good either way...The cab is 3D printed as a 1973 +3 cab and will have all the Lights powered with LEDs. Hope to have it ready for show for the local spring meet next month.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Apprentice

cabs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mack R Model

looks like a killer start to me
Old 05-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Journeyman

Exclusive RC is an unknown quantity at this point

ill be looking forward to progress on this one!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Journeyman

Thanks guys...

Chris, the cab and hood come as separate parts. However I bonded them together for ease of access to the battery and drivetrain parts. The cab/hood hinges at the front and simply raises up out of the way.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:00 PM

the Dutch guy is on a distinguished road

Very nice start. Love the old Macks
Old 05-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Green Horn

cabrover is on a distinguished road

Looks awesome!! Gotta love the old Macks!! Keep up the good work, and
I will be watching this build!!!

Tim
Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Journeyman

a little more done. I made an "R model" exhaust bracket and test fitted some stock fuel tanks. I do plan to make some aluminum tanks that have the step indent like most R models have. I put some 1/4 fenders on and installed a RC4WD steel driveshaft.

Thanks for looking

Old 05-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Journeyman

MACK Daddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Liking that stubby look

Alfy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always Wheeling, Always Dealing !
Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Cool, you say it's going to be a "Chicago" truck, needs either an Axle or Hilbilt dump trailer, probably the two most common in the area of that time. Spokes on the rear would be a nice touch also. Keep it coming.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Journeyman

Yea a frameless end dump is in the works....hilbilt and axle were very popular in the 80's-90's! .I'm waiting for my guy that designed the front spokes for my 6 wheeler to make some spoke rears. Thinking budd fronts and spoke rears...another common spec around here back then...
Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

My Dad bought a '79 new and an '85 used. The '85 was bought wrecked, fixed and sold the '79 He drove for 20+ years. They were very solid trucks. The '85 had the buds of front, spokes on rear, 350, 9 speed, aluminum fuel tanks. It had a bunk on it, that was taken off in the rebuild that truck was a little longer, it was a very sharp R model when it was fixed. That one had the air ride on the cab too The '79 was a 300, 5 speed, Camelback barebones truck but tuff as nails.

Love the old R models.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

They were solid but would shake your bones lose... 300 was and still is a tuff old engine.... I had the misfortune to drive on for a couple of years.... only with a six speed...

Wayne
Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatdeck View Post
They were solid but would shake your bones lose... 300 was and still is a tuff old engine.... I had the misfortune to drive on for a couple of years.... only with a six speed...

Wayne
If you think those rode rough you wouldn't have liked his '69 Hendricksons at all, man that was a long time ago those trucks were around.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 PM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

And LOUD.... How about a 62 IH V200 5 and 4 with a 220 Com's that's old and I am tell you I did not care (at the time) I was driving a truck... not even a air ride seat... LOL

Wayne

Sorry LMack for getting off the subject....

Last edited by flatdeck; 05-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Master A-Modeler

sneaky-pete is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of your trucks!
Seeing all of these printed cabs is awesome.
Keep those pic's coming.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Journeyman

Thanks guys....i Will keep pics comong as i progress ..

Love to talk trucks no hi jacking here.....My work truck is a "gold dog" Mack RD- 300 / 2 stick 6 speed (5 speed) on camelback. It rides ok wheel loaded but does kick you when empty. For me I love that trans for where I drive all day. I barely have to shift and I can lug her down and she comes right back. I do lowboy work and the little R model can get in and out of those tight spots with ease. The E7 300 was rebuilt by mack and turned up. Its a great running city truck.....We have a few other trucks at work with 8LL and 18 speeds and the 5 speed is so much nicer in chicago traffic. But that's just my opinion...the worse riding truck I have been in was a Mack on walking beam. I think the tires spend more time in the air than on the pavement!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 PM

Akhogrider is on a distinguished road

I love your Mack's. I was around old R models and Hendricksons when I growing up, my dad worked for a company in Naperville Ill. I'm was inspired by your Mack's so I'm slowly trying to build a R 700l custom with a sleeper and stretched frame. Slowly getting $ to order cab and hood. Again very. Nice Mack's
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
Thanks guys....i Will keep pics comong as i progress ..

Love to talk trucks no hi jacking here.....My work truck is a "gold dog" Mack RD- 300 / 2 stick 6 speed (5 speed) on camelback. It rides ok wheel loaded but does kick you when empty. For me I love that trans for where I drive all day. I barely have to shift and I can lug her down and she comes right back. I do lowboy work and the little R model can get in and out of those tight spots with ease. The E7 300 was rebuilt by mack and turned up. Its a great running city truck.....We have a few other trucks at work with 8LL and 18 speeds and the 5 speed is so much nicer in chicago traffic. But that's just my opinion...the worse riding truck I have been in was a Mack on walking beam. I think the tires spend more time in the air than on the pavement!
is your RD a steel fender or tilt hood......I did a restore on a steel fender RD a few years back for a guy....it was kinda funny cuz when I asked him why the truck meant so much to him he told me he lost his virginity in that truck and didn't even have a partner in there with him LOL
I grew up MACK as my dad owned a
Mack dealership so I love the bulldogs great lookin truck so far

RIP FREDDYGEARDRIVE
Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhogrider View Post
I love your Mack's. I was around old R models and Hendricksons when I growing up, my dad worked for a company in Naperville Ill. I'm was inspired by your Mack's so I'm slowly trying to build a R 700l custom with a sleeper and stretched frame. Slowly getting $ to order cab and hood. Again very. Nice Mack's
Thank you....I love the RL/RS700L Mack's. They are the top dog of the R models. Post some pics when you start the build.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudd View Post
is your RD a steel fender or tilt hood......I did a restore on a steel fender RD a few years back for a guy....it was kinda funny cuz when I asked him why the truck meant so much to him he told me he lost his virginity in that truck and didn't even have a partner in there with him LOL
I grew up MACK as my dad owned a
Mack dealership so I love the bulldogs great lookin truck so far
It's a later model 2002 RD glider kit. ( sloped fiberglass hood) I like the flat top hood best but im just glad to drive a mechanical R model mack.....don't see a lot of steel fender Mack's..... the salt used around here would just eat up a steel fender truck. We're the parts hard to source for the restore? Not many steel hood Mack's left running around.

That's cool that your dad owned a Mack dealer. I bet you saw plenty of nice mack trucks growing up. I wish Mack had a better following in today's world. Considering they have so many "firsts" in trucking history.