RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dragline Crawler Build

My parts came in yesterday and it looks like the sprockets are going to fit really good! the plasticky "roller" chain is sort of cool, it comes in a bag and you snap each link together. It will make things much easier than the O ring setup since I can break it at any link to take it off and on. I ordered HiTec spline hub sprockets so I made new hubs and tapped them for mounting to the sprocket and put a set screw in the hub.

I STILL have to make rollers! but, this baby is really close to moving to the job site!

Jim
Old 07-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Looking good jim-You are really close to making a move across the floor. This is when it gets exciting!! Did you find a slip ring that will fit this model?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:16 PM

Wiskybilt is on a distinguished road

It's been a while since I was on. You are really getting it to all come together nicely. Thanks for sharing all the pics and your build with the rest of us.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Craftsman

ITS ALIVE, enjoy the mistakes the operator makes, you can tell it has been several
months since I ran this thing

http://youtu.be/MBk1NOU6REk

http://youtu.be/pKyItv_0cYU

Thanks to everyone for the comments, helps me keep going!

Now, I wonder what my subconscious aversion is to making the upper and lower rollers? I know it will work better once I get those done. I'm sure that is the first thing the shop manager is going to throw at me when I show up tomorrow!

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 07-14-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:26 PM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road

A fricken brilliant job you did on that little machine!

Congratulations are in order

Stephan
Old 07-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

That's great, Jim! But I don't think that driver was very happy with the way you treated his truck It walks just like the Link Belt LS-52 I've been around a little. Tracks snap, pop and squeak just like it. Rollers will make it smooth as long as they stick down lower than the tumblers/idlers. You don't want the bottoms of the tumblers and idlers at the same height as the bottoms of the rollers or it will still hop. When the pad transitions from flat on the ground to the tumbler, the leading edge goes up but the trailing edge has to go down since it cannot conform to the radius of the tumbler. If you see any steel tracked machine that is hopping along, it means the undercarriage or at least the bottom rollers are worn out. Sucks when you are trying to hold a grade with a dozer or walk it any distance on hard ground.

Did you have to do much monkeying with those drive chains to get the proper amount of slack? Where'd ya get 'em at? Looks like the direction I might want to go.

I see one more item to add to the list: a fairlead to keep the drag cable away from the tracks.

Last edited by Jared; 07-14-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Craftsman

Thanks guys!

Ya, Jared, you got it right on the truck driver. I was cracking up when I watched the video the first time. It was like I was sleeping as I swung around and clanged into his truck.

If I had a fairlead on the drag rope it wouldn't try to boom up when the rope get stuck on the track. My current rope path goes around two pulleys low on the boom so when it pulls hard it booms up

The chain is from servo city. It is .25" plastic and I used their plastic sprockets. It comes in a little bag with all the parts loose and you have to snap the links together. I got lucky with the slack, I didn't make any adjustment allowance in the drive tumbler or motor mount. I could put on a smaller tumbler sprocket if needed but I was able to pull it together with needle foreseps and pop the links together. On one side I removed the pin from the tumbler and assembled the chain and then slid the pin in place. I already had some standard steel chain bit the plastic stuff is going to work good and is munched easier to work with.

Jim
Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Looking good Jim. We could bind that up to my controls next month.
Anyhow, Try changing the host chain length and dump cable length. I noticed the drag chains not pulling like they should because of the dump rope. Just some minor experimenting you will be able to dial it in I'm sure.
There seems to be an art to getting a bucket to work correctly as I had found out with mine.
Next project would be to build a fairlead to get the drag rope out away from the track.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Craftsman

Some photos of the chain drive setup...

Working on upper and lower rollers today

Jim
Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Craftsman

Nice work jim-this is the pay-off for all that work. The operator does look a bit rusty but I'm sure this will work it's self out . How many channels are you running? You have a lot going on there.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Craftsman

Steve, ya a fair lead would be good. I was trying to dig wet packed sand the other day and my attach points on the drag rope at the bucket are too high and cause it to tip the aft end of the bucket up. I plan to make some new brackets so I can move the attach point up or down for different soil types. I haven't really tried to tune this setup since I got it running last fall. I have the airplane instrument panel ripped apart for an upgrade so it looks like I will be driving again this year. I should find a topper for the truck so I don't have to sleep on the ground this year don't think Jennifer is coming with me this year. Going to be a long drive doing it all myself

Tom, i thought i had the bucket a bit higher on a few swings. As soon as i sat down i knew it was going to be a crash fest.

I am running 6 channels. The stupid motor controller is fussy so I have to use a separate BEC for the radio and servos, and that means every one of the seven sockets on the RX has a plug in it! They put the pins so close on the RX that the plugs hardly fit.

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 07-15-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Craftsman

I should have just copied this picture from your thread Jared!

Jig to make the roller axel shafts. I decided to do it just like you did with a flat on each end of the shaft and drill them and tap holes in the side rails.

Jim
Old 07-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Those drive chains fit very nicely under there.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Craftsman

Steve, ya I got lucky! They have a smaller plastic chain but I didn't think it would hold up and it might have looked too small? I think this stuff turned out just about right.

Here is a picture that explains how I get any work accomplished in the shop AND read the forum and post updates all the time. The iPad is on the wall right above the band saw.

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 07-15-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Craftsman

Jim-I know what you mean about the rec.. The last one I hooked up was so small I almost couldn't deal with it. I think you made a good choice on the roller pins. It may take some time to make the jig but then it should go well and I think you will like the results.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Craftsman

Rollers and pins, rollers and pins...and I'm only about halfway done

Need to make 5 more of these and then match drill and tap the holes. And that is only the bottom, five each side

I think I will/can do 2 each on the top.

Another one of those things that I think, "well, that shouldn't take too long" and then I spend all day doing it

Jim
Old 07-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nice
Old 07-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Craftsman

Ha! I'm kicking some pins, spacer and roller butt now!

Going to be five on the bottom and probably two on the top. I tried it last night with just the two outboard rollers on each side and it works SO much better with rollers! it almost like having bluetooth on this sucker!

Jim
Old 07-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Craftsman

I got the idlers rollers all finished and installed!

http://youtu.be/fiCI-9QpdCQ

Makes me wish I had a truck and an low boy to haul it on...

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 07-16-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Craftsman

Jim-that seems to work really good!! Your suspension looks a bit stiff to me though. Just my opinion but you have gone this far, I say put a 3rd. roller on the top just for looks if nothing else. The bottom looks much better to me but the top needs more. Great job either way!!Maybe you are tired of making little parts.