RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM

Midtown is on a distinguished road
Default Euro dump truck

Hi guys. New to this scene and want to get a plan together for my first truck. I really like the Euro trucks ( Scania and Actros). I also really want a dump truck so was thinking about mixing them? Has anyone on here don't one of these?

http://www.servonaut.de/shop/product...and370tam.html

I assume if I bought a Scania and this kit that's all that's needed to make it a roller?

Dave
Old 11-11-2015, 02:47 PM

Digger_Bear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Euro dump truck

Not done a tipper truck build myself. But this might be worth sharing

http://www.magomhrc.com/en/tipper-fo...th-tipper.html
Old 11-11-2015, 03:50 PM

Digger bear, awesome find! That's the Bruder dump bed and I already have the Actros truck and trailer with it. I like the price too! The Servonaut set up looks a lot more sturdy though. I guess the question is what's better for this application hydrolic or electric?
Old 11-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave. What many do is to purchase a standard Tamiya tractor 6x4, Scania or MAN, and ad the cab, drivetrain and more to the Servonaut dumper kit. In case of the Actros there is currently just 4x2 tractors from Tamiya, so one have to purchase a third axle and rear suspension for 2 axles. Optionally there is the Hercules Hobby Actros 6x4, which is a copy of the Tamiya kits.
Now, a dump truck based on the standard Tamiya tractors are a bit like 'Bambi on ice' when put in to 'off-highway operation', according to many, me included But on a good even road it's okay.
So, many start adding option parts, step by step, like

1. Change the high rpm original 540 Tamiya motor with a lower rpm, 6000-8000 rpm, higher torque motor. (Or get rid of the original motor and 3 speed transmission, which don't do much use in a dump truck and takes a lot of space, and install a 1 speed Servonaut GM32U390, + bracket, 7.2 V, the 'Rolls Royce' optional Tamiya transmission in Europe. (or GM32U450, 12 V, even stronger)

2. Replace the original hard rear tires with the soft Hauler 1.7" tires from Rc4WD, for a lot better tracktion. http://store.rc4wd.com/Hauler-17-Com...res_p_728.html

3. Replace the original rear suspension, with very limited travel, with a much better one, like this one from Wtb (other dealer as have it), my number 1 rear suspension; http://www.wtbcar.com/shopping/index...&product_id=95

Last edited by Rimrock; 11-11-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown View Post
Digger bear, awesome find! That's the Bruder dump bed and I already have the Actros truck and trailer with it. I like the price too! The Servonaut set up looks a lot more sturdy though. I guess the question is what's better for this application hydrolic or electric?
Yeah, there is a price difference naturally, and for a reason..Magom Bruder : 'toys'. Leakage risk. Noisy pump. But probably do the job. Servonaut, clean and dependable electric hoisting mechanism, nearly soundless : for the 'proffesionals' (my personal belief as a dump truck builder I build my own dumpers, more detailed than Servonaut, but similar electric mechanism, http://rctruckandconstruction.com/sh...ad.php?t=10352)
Old 11-11-2015, 04:09 PM

Well I guess I should say I'm not one to "half ***" things so if I'm going to do it I'm going to do it right....lol
Old 11-11-2015, 04:18 PM

Wow rim rock, your stuff is top shelf quality. I really like the look of the euro half pipe boxes myself. Being as. Would probably being doing all the suspension I guess I could go with the Actros kit and add the the axle. I guess I would look at making it a 6x6. At that point if your going to build it with a lot of aftermarket parts is there any point in buying the tamiya kit or just buy what parts you need? I'm guess ping you still need a lot of the bits and pieces from the kit?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:48 PM

I recently bought a Hercules 8x8 tipper truck which has a lot of Lesu parts and seems quite capable compared to my tamiya truck which can get stuck on the smallest of items.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 PM

That's a nice truck. I'm a bit surprised that you went for as you seem more than capable to build your own?
Old 11-12-2015, 01:02 AM

I think it will be the Hercules Hobby Actros, you can't beat this price!

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Her...d=108771&pid=1
Old 11-12-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
That's a nice truck. I'm a bit surprised that you went for as you seem more than capable to build your own?
Well my friend bought it but had issues and gave up so I bought off him. Glad I did it's a well crafted truck and very capable machine.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I think it will be the Hercules Hobby Actros, you can't beat this price!

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Her...d=108771&pid=1
That is a great price, I want one now.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Wannabe

It's possible to buy all parts for a dump truck separately, but the easiest way is to a start with a tractor kit, e.g the Hercules 6x4. then you have the Actros cab and axles for a good deal.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:38 AM

How many channels do I need to build a truck like this? I like the price point of the DX6i. Is a 6 channel radio enough if I want to run a MFU?
Old 11-14-2015, 03:48 AM
Wannabe

6 channels is enough for a dump truck, with the MFU. If one will have a dump trailer later on, it's better go for more channels, like 8-10.
Tamiya MFU is naturally much used, there is sound, lights, speed regulator, it works okay. A drawback with the Tamiya electronic is that the speed regulator is not that sensitive at low speeds, like when fine-manoeuvring, reversing. It tends to make the truck suddenly 'jump' on occasions. In Europe, people that are quite into the hobby, tend to but the Tamiya electronics in the drawer, and install the 'good stuff', again; Servonaut. If you're planning to order from Servonaut, they have speed regulators, sound and light modules, at about the same cost as one will pay for the Tamiya units, but quite better performance. I can explain a bit about the different modules if you wish, a bit later on.

Last edited by Rimrock; 11-14-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
How many channels do I need to build a truck like this? I like the price point of the DX6i. Is a 6 channel radio enough if I want to run a MFU?
If your buying a radio maybe look at the FlySky FS-TH9X or Turnigy 9X (both same basically) and come with 8 channel receiver and when you get use to it quite flexible with programming. Or if you've a bit more to spend the Turnigy 9XR Pro is the updated version.

Like Rimrock said the Tamiya MFU isn't that good and was the first thing I changed on my Tamiya truck. I won't say what I swapped it with as I sell them and don't want to break any rules.

For your information this is what came in the in my Hercules tipper

http://www.wtbcar.com/shopping/index...product_id=136

It does speed control, and sounds. Looking at instructions it does have a tipper hydraulic pump control output but it doesn't give any details.

It appears to have good slow speed control but the truck does have planetary gears so really low ratio so that might hide low end speed control

http://www.wtbcar.com/shopping/index...product_id=356

and a lighting system like this, I can't find the right one now but there is a version which also has a reverse buzzer.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I am not a radio guru by any means so take this with a grain of salt. Since re-entering the hobby a few years ago I have been using Spektrum radios(DX6i-DX8). I recently bought a 9X for an upcoming customer project because it was affordable with lots of options. I hadn't taken it out of the box but found another one used locally for a good price so I bought it for my own use. After trying to program the 9X I can honestly say that for me at least it is a pain in the @ss compared to the Spektrum. It has features and is really cheap but I will spend more and buy another Spektrum next time. Like I said, I am not very smart with programming so I am sure it is a breeze for some(9X) but not for me. I love my DX8. I wish it had more channels but it does everything I need to run all of my equipment mixing hydraulics ect and very user friendly. No matter what radio brand you go with (as there are many options) buy one with more channels than you need. I bought the DX6i think 6 was plenty to run a truck and then I built a track loader the needed more proportional channels so in came the DX8. 8 channels is just enough to run an excavator but more would be nice...

Just my 2 cents.

Reg
Old 11-14-2015, 11:58 AM

Well on the radio topic, I was planning on sticking with spectrum or futaba. From what I've read people are happy with spectrum. I'm not sure what my fleet has in store yet. I do know I want a dump truck and a regular tractor/trailer combo. I have bought a Bruder 320 to one day convert, I would assume that would require quite a drew channels?
Old 11-14-2015, 12:28 PM

I guess the benefit of the MFU is it only uses one channel where are the Servonaut is multiple modules that would require more channels?
Old 11-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Tamiya mfu uses 4 channels, if you go for simple esc for drive then you need just one for that, one for steering, don't know if the hurcules has changing gears if so will need a channel also.