RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Mruder (bruder cat320 something look alike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
2.5mm which is what is recommended on the tap list.

used 2.7 as well but wasn't happy with the thread bite. it was certainly easier going tho
Is there a letter or number drill, that would give you a better fit? What are you using for cutting fluid?
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Green Horn

cdm is on a distinguished road

Alum is soft and doesnt generate enough heat to use oil (especially the alloys i am using).. dont need it do i.. i mean i dont know, wouldnt think so.

Had to cut painting short today, rain is annoying. But i did get a few coats on my bucket and coupler, still needs more. im still contemplating if i want to just complete the curve cut, make lower side scoops or both. i can do either at any point now so i'll worry about it later.

would have done the lower body/base as well if weather cooperated. it's ready for paint now

also shimmed one track with all rollers and returns. i need to cut a few more shafts for the idler and sprocket. but i did get both sprockets sleeved from 8mm to 6mm shaft. it was a slight pain because i had to get the set screw holes to line without bending or destroying the sleeve. drill press was a no go.

finishing up the cab, newish hydro tank and what not. im trying to do one thing every day without adding 2 more on the to do list. good news is i can cheat under the excuse of this being my first const build. convenient

Last edited by cdm; 03-18-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Green Horn

figuring out the proper lenght.. waiting on some spacers around the roller bolts.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Green Horn

that's done.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Green Horn

so is this. bugger you cant edit posts after like 2 minutes.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Just curious... what does your boom/stick/bucket weigh all together?

Joe
Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Green Horn

5lbs before the hoses, fittings, cyls and fluid.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:39 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

That's pretty heavy! I think most of your problem with surging oil out of your tank is from letting the boom drop too fast (just b/c how heavy the boom is). You could limit valve opening by lowering epa rotation considerably, then you won't have such a rush of oil filling the tank.

My 850's boom is really heavy (didn't weigh it) and I limited the epa on the down to 60% , plus careful control on the tx.

Also, I use Suflo cutting oil from Gunk for all drilling, milling, threading of aluminum, keeps the alloy from sticking/gumming up the bits. I have never broken a 3mm tap, and I use a 18v Milwaukee drill to make a quick job of it.

Joe
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Green Horn

the boom is actually weight balanced at the lift point pivot. stick and bucket throw it off though. can't really balance for that

it's surging because the original leim was designed for cyls 1/3 to 1/2 of what i am using. and for less of them. just not enough space for the fluid to go when the pistons push in. then when they push out, you have to keep it full past the 3/4 (more like 10/12) to avoid the pickup from getting dry, since the pickup is really 1/3 off the bottom. so really the design is only 1/3 of the tank being usable - pathetic!

the one that is in the wedico is the big version, both in tank and pump ml/m. however that is not available outside wedico kits.. that tank is actually as big as what i have right now, and still not enough.

i've fixed that with a yet another expansion of the fluid tank. (total 3x original capacity). i wanted to make a 10oz tank and started cutting it out, but as i lay the pieces together noticed that would have really thrown off my canopy and made it way unscale. so i dropped that idea for a yet another expansion of the miniscule oem one.

will try the oil for future taps. just that only time i used it is with carbide bits into hard steel due to heat. never even thought about aluminum, especially with hand tapping (tried machine tapping too but very hard to control blind holes)

i might have to limit the epa on the downward now. good idea

Last edited by cdm; 03-20-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

I use "rapid tap" the aluminum version for both drilling and tapping.
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Green Horn

I have enough scrap blocks to play with. Though i am pretty much done with tapping for this project.

Worked some on the cab... my mini dubro hinges arrived so with some trimming, they will work great.

Meanwhile decided i would assemble and paint this thing here because i wanted to. Then i decided i would sand parts of it.... I'll recoat with a lighter paint on the inside.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Green Horn

began making my cab guard.. if i can find them, i will mount some cool lights under the ledge. leds i can fit, its the casings that will be an issue finding that small that look good (or i could just make my own, fiddly but if it has to be done... hmm!). not sure if i want to make a front piece or just the top one. once i mount and offset this one i'll decide.

gotta love shrinking putty but i found that the tamiya one, once it shrinks, it doesnt deform over time and it really sticks great to the styrene. so i just overply it/layer it till it fills up. looks scary i know!

there is no floor because the floor will be a separate piece. this way i can take it out and maybe do an interior at some point. although i really want to put in a wireless camera in there so i can dig from the comfort of my home...... then again, i can just make 2 floors. 1 with interior, the other with FPV and exchange them as needed. but i am getting ahead of myself.

i forgot to mention, my replacement seals came in. i actually got in 2 orders before they arrived. took like 2 months. figured i would mention that before i forget. deutche post is weirdddddddddddd. sometimes 4 days (really!), and then 8 weeks.

Another correction for those who actually read everything. the drive servos are rated at 212OZ/17RPM @6v, not at 100ish as previously noted. I think i was mixing them with the parallax which i also have (weak crap). Im running a 2:1 reduction now so that should be plenty unless i want to do pivots on carpet; that won't cut it i am sure. takes an assisine amount of power to achieve that/ but we wont be pivoting on the carpet anyhow.

my turntable motors are 70oz each @ 90rpm, running a 1:14 reduction. there is 2 of them. bench tests with a 1.5v battery made them into a grinder. i have no doubt i'll tear the boom off before they stall with 12v.

Last edited by cdm; 03-23-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Green Horn

thats all done. now to make the casings around it, lube chain up again (had to wash most of the factory gunk as it was unhandleable) and give it a new dull coat of paint.

i had to make so many slots to get it all to fit right. got it all scratched up in the process.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Green Horn

After leaving the upper body out in the rain and ice for a few days i found a few seams that need attention. While my cool new hardcore filler dries i tackled the carriage wiring yet again. Still need to connect the turntable motors and the little plug next to the switch is the charge connection. Still thinking of a good place to put the on/off switch and charge plug.. Every single component is independent and can be unplugged and replaced when the time comes. Finally found some JST connectors with soft wire so bending it all and tieing as needed is not an issue. That's why i left planty of slack on each wire. Also i dont think i'll even connect the balance leads.. I can't imagine the cells getting out of balance with the pitifull amp draw they will facilitate.

Also the chains are not rusted in the photo above. That's from my torch flash drying them to prevent rust. Some of the left over factory gunk grease just burned

Also colorsanded and clearcoated the boom last night. Will not do the stick as that will take a beating anyway. Also played with the pressure screw on the pump. Not sure what i set it at.. 15bar? Let's see what breaks/leaks. From weighting parts so far it seems i am going to be right at my new target weight of 40lbs.

Last edited by cdm; 03-27-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Green Horn

While waiting on parts i did a few things... worked on the undercarriage, figured how to make the chain covers and where and how to put the power sw and charging jack. also spent some time folding cables. i have more space than i thought i would in there now.

i'll spare the details on that until it is done.

mounted the cylinders. The joints are sleeved and greased but if they ever do wear out, just insert new sleeves and ready to go.

it is heavy. somewhat of a concern really but will know soon enough if i overdid the bucket.

the metal encasing came out quite well. not machine precise but unless you stare, all angles look good. i had massive issues with the seams here since my usual fillers just flaked off. it goes all the way around as you know..

now i need to cut a new riser plate so i can push it further towards the wall and do other changes as well. this will allow me to use the space better. the small riser which was for the esc/receiver will be removed in favor of another deck.

the line that is penperdicular with the back of the cab? that's how far the tank will go. but wait, what about the motor? belt driven off the side next to the pump this way i can shove it all backwards and have a nice scale slope up the front.

now of course we cant have things go easy and lamebacks pump shaft is m2ish while the motor side (and my pulleys) are m3ish (3.17mm standard size). a challenge... cool. I can also fit another battery in there, either inside the canopy or on top the counterweight as an addition on top. Will decide later. I'll also wire it up for an external cell like my fleet of no longer holding charge optimas (they wanted them back to study them but wanted me to cover shipping 200lbs. HA!)

The end is near! Once i finalize all the stuff inside i can cut up the canopy. Also working on a few other things in the downtime of waiting on parts and supplies.

wired up the hydros for a leak test and pressure adjustment (have to as i totally spun the screw for fun). found a 8$ 300psi gauge but i'll only use it to dial in pressure and then remove. this time i am testing outside the model. took me days to get that oil out of all cracks (end caused me issues with paint)

The waiting games are real.

Last edited by cdm; 04-03-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Green Horn

Performed leak test, the plunger screws leaked but because i left them too lose. corrected that and had no further issues at 14 bar. will test more later. just to make sure.

i got my pulleys and timing belt but i was thinking.. if i connect it directly, it might put too much sideways pressure on the pump shaft, wear it unevenly and create a leak, essentially destroying the pump. since there is no bearing present, i doubt it has any lateral support built in. i will need some tension on the belt to avoid it jumping and vibrating, but i fear even the slightest pull will be enough to cause damage.

to correct this i would have to build a rig and suspend the pulley on bearings and use the stock connector - basically the vario design but with the motor on the side, not on top) this further complicates the task and takes yet more mm off my space i wanted to leave up front. 3mm plates x2 = 6mm, 3mm w bearing + 2.5mm w bearing = 11.5mm wasted space. and thats before the pulley and coupler.

i am only trying to do this for better aesthetics. not sure it is worth pursuing, might just go back to my original plan of having it as a short slope/high step mining canopy

Last edited by cdm; 04-04-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Green Horn

managed to get the pump to a steady

17.581599 bars.................. yes it is possible.

i can push 18 if i wanted to.

pump to gauge directly. just out of curiosity.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Green Horn

20 bars highest it would go but flow really fell off after 18bars. by 20 it was more like a dribble. so their 16bar max setting is somewhat accurate. but i noticed no reduced flow (visually) @ 17.5 but i'll take 16 as the max usable.

now that i am done messing with that, i can get back to working on everything else. time to cut some metal. i really wish i could edit posts beyond 20 mins and not have to daisy chain them but it is what it is

Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Green Horn

i made a pass through block. This will take the cables from the boom and send them to the valve. I am trying to shorten cables i have to cut during disassembly and also getting nice cable routing. I will use a combo of straight and 90d fittings as needed. Lower boom cyls are pass through, those up the boom (2 on each side) are 90d most likely. Hopefully buswick has what i need, my maiden order with them is due next week. If those fit, awesome. I am concerned about the thread lenght on nipples. Leimbach is quite short which is great.

This will route the tubing from the block above and onto the boom, a bit like leibherr style (which i love because the way it gets the cables out of your way down below). I drilled this as a joke so 2 in the center are actually off the line a bit. But i like it actually. I'll cut them both to final shape and mount once i get fittings in. Dont want to drill nothing in my boom till i know it will stay there

it goes here.

I am pretty much done with my hydro oil tank enclosure. The actual tank is done and tested, this is just the cover around it i am making. Depending on how much fluids are consumed tonight i will either get a lot done, or nothing else. hah

cheers

Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Green Horn

It was time to build the slewing ring cover so i had to measure just how much clearance i had. Figured i would take a few photos for posterity.

yep, the filter is in a nice spot out front. Just think of it as a slewing motor.

ended up remaking the carriage cover from styrene (in progress). metal proved too flimsy on the 2 slope sections joints and i cannot extrude it to shape from 1 piece.

Still waiting on german post. so inconsistent.

silver can for testing purposes. i also scrapped the belt driven idea i was talking about above. i would not get the clearance i wanted unless i direct mounted to the pump, which would cause side pressure and file the seals in no time.

you can marvel at my brute job of trying to seal it out with epoxy so when leaks happen oil doesnt get in all cracks again and cause problems...... i could have made it nicer but then again.. next build. this one is for learning

Last edited by cdm; 04-06-2013 at 08:18 PM.