RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Green Horn

Trucker Al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3D printing KH Body Attempt

I LOVE this technology. Just think of the possibilities..
Great job on the designing phase too.

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road

Oz,
Yes there is. That is the next technology that needs to be made more for the consumer base. Just as the 3d printers have become. The real good scanners which use lasers to define 3 dimensional objects are really pricey now, but ive seen people hack The Xbox Kinect to be used as a 3d scanner. Microsoft has caught wind of it and has realized the market for poeple wanting to scan for 3d prining and has said they will release a version of the Kinect for scanning sometime this year. You can also so search youtube for 123d catch which is a program which utilizes multiple photographs taken with a camera to produce 3d imaging. I have the app on my Iphone and its pretty neat when you get all the lighting right..Youll need to clean up the model in a program like Autodesk Meshmixer which fills in holes and fixes details..then you are able to export your model into am STL. file which is what 3d printers recognize and can pprint.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM

outcastrc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztruck View Post
Is there such a thing as a 3D scanner?
You can modify a xbox kinect for a poor resolution scanner. IMO it's only good for rough body scans.

Personally I am waiting to see what the Leapmotion can do. https://www.leapmotion.com/ They claim resolution down to .01mm. for about 80 bucks. Assuming they can hack it for 3d scanning of course.

Then there's also projecting laser line using a web cam. That does pretty good results.

Lots of info on youtube.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Wannabe

Thanks Al!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcastrc View Post
Every time I asked my wife to do that I come home to a failure...
Yes, im familiar with that too.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

Oh, thats low guys...

Then again, I'm glad I'm single, with only a feline to get in my way. I can blame her for anything and everything, and not have to worry about my stuff ending up on the lawn (which is bad, as I'm on the 4th floor!)

Only thing is that I ~may~ have to watch where I step if I ignore her too often...

Now I wonder if I can talk JDH into making the slabby body of an Oshkosh HEMTT, or one of the M35-series beasties... (the 'Nam successor to the venerable CCKW-353 'Deuce') The M35 cab alone would be great, as its still in use in many areas... and with more body's than one can imagine!

WhiteWolf
(glad to see you're here, Outcast!)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Ahh, that hood combined with the fenders and grille....beautiful! This is going to be one of the nicest cabs ever. I can already see it. Beats scratchbuilding with styrene, that's for sure! It's going to be a one of a kind truck, when done, and I can't wait to see it.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:18 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH429 View Post
Yes so true on everything you said. Ive had good luck with the gray..And yes i do have faith...I also had My GF home today and asked her to keep an eye on it every so often.
So if something was to go awry, what is she to do? Pull the plug? Hit a button?

What's the worst that has happened in your absence?

How many hrs of trial/error do you have logged (approx) to get to the level you're at now?

Joe
Old 03-12-2013, 03:01 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

Wow....this is definitely one part of new technology i can say is well worth it
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Wannabe

Sp, Thanks man, Im trying..I wish i had a fraction of the skills to scratch build like some of the guys on here do and did like FGD. What a legend.....

Maybe by the weekend i should have more parts ready to assemble.

Joe, theres a killswitch for just such an emergency. The sucess rate for a print is around 95%. the occasional mishap us usually software related but once i figured out what causes some of the probs ive had iv been able to prevent them. Im pretty confident to leave it run unattended now.
Hours to get to where i am now as far as smoothness of the whole process...lol lots of late nights for the past few months...maybe 100 hrs of experience roughly.

I set up a wheel to print last night to play with this morning at work. Wanted to try some smoothing and painting to see what i could get.
Before and after Acetone dip.

with a primer and rustoleum metalic..not a fan i prefer Krylon alum better but this was all i had.

A Clearcoat removes the super metallicy look.

The picture doesnt do it any justice...it looks much better than it does in picture. Id prefer a flat clear finish..think it would look much better and closer to oxidized alum and hide the uneven surface which is cool with me because this truck is going to be a working class truck and a dump truck doesnt always look like a show truck.

And for those of you into the Garth Knight look.. again, a flat primer black would look better.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Wannabe

Id like to print another set of these and use hardware to simulate the lugs. Anybody know if you can buy just the screws and nuts that RC4WD uses on their semi wheels? Im actually missing 4 from my set of white front steel beadlocks. Id like to get more. thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

The rim looks great, Jason. Honestly though, I don't know that I like the way it looks, coming out of an acetone dip. The clean edges it had before hand are melted and somewhat obscured. Perhaps it would be better to lightly sand the surfaces by hand? Can't complain to much! It still is very cool to see something like this made.

RC4WD does have 2, 2.5, and 3mm hex head scale bolts. Not sure what size you need. If those aren't small enough, Scale Hardware has American sizes even smaller!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Wannabe

Oh wow, great. thanks for that info. I think like you said sanding the face would be the way to go, good call. On such a small part the acetone really removes the hard lines but i wanted to show an example of what dipping can do for anyone interested anyway.
Sanding will be alot easier too without the printed lugs..

Last edited by JDH429; 03-12-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

No problem, JD. Here are some links, if you are interested.

http://www.scalehardware.com/

http://store.rc4wd.com/Titanium-and-...rews_c_38.html
Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

I wonder if the acetone vapor process would smooth out the build lines and still leave some detail. Being that it takes longer I would think it would be a bit more controllable, but I haven't tried it myself at all.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM

RCLaser is on a distinguished road

Awesome work there JDH..
Nice to see such a success with the 3d printer. I have toyed around myself with the 3d printers.
I have a Makerbot Think-O-Matic worked great for a couple of years but having trouble now... What is your 3d Printer make and model?

Regards,
Jeff
Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Wannabe

Sp, your the man! thanks for the link. Never knew about Scale Hardware..looks like a great place.

Pugs, i dipped this wheels a few times to see if it would smooth out all the ridges so im sure one dunk for just a second or two would have been less aggressive. Let me know how the vap goes if you try.

Just a few pics after moving axle forward and printing a prototype cross member.

Crossmember with hood hinge,and servo mount. Also using it as a front spring hanger to figure out positioning. Designed it with multiple mounting holes for adjustments.
Will reprint and add the bumper mount after i figure out what looks the best.

Roof of cab.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLaser View Post
Awesome work there JDH..
Nice to see such a success with the 3d printer. I have toyed around myself with the 3d printers.
I have a Makerbot Think-O-Matic worked great for a couple of years but having trouble now... What is your 3d Printer make and model?

Regards,
Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I have an Afinia. I like it so much i bought another one to have at work. I use them often. Its a great printer for many reasons. Search Afinia/UP printers on youtube. Lots of good info there. Thanks for lookin.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

so what is your total print time so far?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM

dirthalr is on a distinguished road

Wow that is incredible! I could see that becoming a full time job producing cabs, and such. The possibilities are endless.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Wannabe

Dirt, ya its time consuming for one cab.

Izzy, fenders- 4hrs each, hood top-2.5 hrs, hood main -5 hrs, cab roof-4 hrs, cab rear wall 4 hrs. 23 hrs roughly so far, and prob got another 10-12 hrs for the rest of the cab im guessing...but thats what i said initially for the whole job... Still have the body mounts, and cross member to work out. If i changed the quality settings on the printer I could cut the time in half probably...But they always say you cant rush a good job so what an extra 12 hours or so. Im not in a huge rush. I hope it ends up looking as good as i planned...what a disappointing build up if it ended up looking like garbage.

Last edited by JDH429; 03-12-2013 at 04:33 PM.