RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road
Default Help, 4200XL Excavator Electronics?

Question for those of you familiar with the RC4WD 4200XL Excavator. Gearbox on the left side track went out, so I Replaced both gearbox and motor. Put everything back together and fired it up, and now I only have reverse direction, no forward on both tracks? Pulled it back apart and found that i unintentionally stripped a black wire going to the motor, fixed that and I still only have reverse on both tracks. Wonder If it reset the ESC, when it grounded off the black wire? It's weird that both sides were affected?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help, 4200XL Excavator Electronics?

Each track drive has a separate esc. So in this case don't know exactly what's going on but I bet it might be in the slu ring that the turret spins on and let's power go to the tracks . That's the only thing I can think of that would affect both sides. If you take that thing apart pay attention how it comes apart it's a pain in the rear
Old 10-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

You may have to re calibrate both esc for motors with radio. Usually it is done by having model on then full throttle (track motors/esc) turn on radio wait for a beep (usually pretty quick) then nutral then full reverse. Will have to repeat for both. I'm not familiar with those specific esc but in general most programming of throttle end points are done this way. But it may go into program mode. Just remember to have full throttle forward before radio is turned on. I would disconnect anything not need just to keep it simple. Maybe have to google that model esc to check throttle calibration.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:38 PM

osikasculptor is on a distinguished road

Martin Hough really knows these things inside and out!
He is super nice and his site on youtube is diggingwithmartin

Last edited by osikasculptor; 10-14-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Wannabe

Thanks alot guys. I did notice that when I pulled all three ESC's out, (one for turntable an two for drive motors), that the two drive motor ESC'S were blinking red. Tried to re-set them by pushing little set button on each, but dident do anything, still just have reverse? Will try Coopers operation. Could also be woodhogs idea? osikasculptor, have heard that Martin is very good at these Models, but does youtube reflect his E-Mail address?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Wannabe

Still have found no solution? Tried Cooper's method, was unsucssessful, left a comment on Martin's youtube
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

If at first you don't succeed, read the instructions. If they did not come with this model I am sure you can go online and find out all about how the esc's work. YOU took it apart, now YOU need to fix it. You are sitting in front of the greatest research tool that has ever been developed yet you are asking questions hoping someone will solve your problems but just do the research, find the solution and fix it yourself. That is the satisfying part of this hobby. You may not like to build so you buy a model pre-built but sooner or later you have to work on them so learn how. Just my opinion but I cannot imagine having a model and not knowing how to work on it. That would be no fun!!
Old 10-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Modelman is correct. i lost all settings on my first complex radio and had no idea what to do. Not a good feeling. I immediately came to the forum hoping someone could give me a quick fix.
Well you don't learn squat from that and ultimately I spent the time reading and trying things and I figured it out. Now, I'm comfortable with it and understand it completely.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Green Horn

Dieselchopper is on a distinguished road

No better way than learn as you go. I was frustrated with my 4200 as well. No real instructions. All is available online. I have not had esc problems as of yet......
Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 AM
Wannabe

Thanks guys, but I do have to dissagree with you on a couple of things. First thing, there is nothing on these Chineese ESC's on the internet. That being said, unless you are an elctronics guru, it is nearly impossible to repair an ESC. I am not at all afraid, or lazy in isolating, reasearching and fixing somthing on this machine. When I got into this "Hobby" I went into it with the understanding that one day I would completly disassemble the models I own, because I enjoy doing it. The Machines that are frustrating are the one scale Machines I have, now thats frustrating because you rely on them to do a real job!!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

thebigo-I was not accusing you of being lazy or accusing you of anything. I was just trying to get the point across that more people need to learn how to work on there models. Sounds like you know the steps to take. Locating the problem is 1st.. Repairing the esc is probably not gonna happen. If you accidently stripped a wire, you may have shorted the esc and ruined it. I would test the replaced track motor to see if it runs in both directions and if so I would hook the esc to a known power source and a good motor and see if it would work. If it does you probably just have some wires wrong but my guess is the problem is with the esc's. A systematic approach to trouble-shooting is very crucial to quickly finding problems. Good Luck
Old 10-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

If you have it apart, just hook up a 2s, 7.2 volt battery directly to track motor. Just have to touch wires. Like model man said, this can acknowledge that motors work, hook up one way and then other way for forward/backwards. Chances are that motors are fine. But this can start to eliminate things. Next if you have it apart swap the esc used for rotation and check each track motor for operation. That way you know you have an esc that works. Did you mess with any radio settings?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Wannabe

Thanks for the help modelman and cooper. I have reversed the wire's on both motors with the same results, just ran in reverse. Diggen with martin, suggested to go into the radio's e.point and make sure the limit's for the motor chanels were at 100%, they were at 120% so i reset them at 100%, with no different result. So I will next swap the ESC for rotation, see if this proves a bad ESC,

Thanks again David
Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
Thanks for the help modelman and cooper. I have reversed the wire's on both motors with the same results, just ran in reverse. Diggen with martin, suggested to go into the radio's e.point and make sure the limit's for the motor chanels were at 100%, they were at 120% so i reset them at 100%, with no different result. So I will next swap the ESC for rotation, see if this proves a bad ESC,

Thanks again David
I had the same problem with mine when I put it together. I bought mine used and it did not come with the pump and pump, pump motor controller, radio, and receiver.

I put it all back together using my DX10 and receiver as well as the stock pump and motor and an esc. The stock escs for the drive and swing were still in the model so I used them and as soon as I fired it up it wanted to drive each track and swing in only one direction. After messing around for a few hours I found that the on/off switches for the 2 track drive esc's and the swing have to be in the OFF position allow just the pump esc to provide power to the receiver.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Wannabe

So, Diagnosed it with the help of Modelman and Cooper down to the drive ESC's. Took the Swing Esc and put it on one side of the drive motors and it worked for both reverse and forward. fhhhstix, Are you talking about the programing of the ESC's or for operation as well? I wish I could find the programing operation for these? With my armageddon dump i could never figure out the programing on it, and RC4WD couldn't provide me with anything either, so they sent me a new ESC for the hydraulic's . The Esc's are most likly shot, I sent a message with vidio to RC4wd see if they can help.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
So, Diagnosed it with the help of Modelman and Cooper down to the drive ESC's. Took the Swing Esc and put it on one side of the drive motors and it worked for both reverse and forward. fhhhstix, Are you talking about the programing of the ESC's or for operation as well? I wish I could find the programing operation for these? With my armageddon dump i could never figure out the programing on it, and RC4WD couldn't provide me with anything either, so they sent me a new ESC for the hydraulic's . The Esc's are most likly shot, I sent a message with vidio to RC4wd see if they can help.
For operation as well all of the on/off switches except the pump esc should be in the off position. Turn them OFF because in the on position all they are doing is powering the receiver so turn them off and let the pump esc run the receiver. With them on you are back feeding to the esc's

Old 10-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Wannabe

Ya, when I turn my turn table and drive ESC's off and have my pump running or not, niether of my drive motors work or the turn table?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Ya, when I turn my turn table and drive ESC's off and have my pump running or not, niether of my drive motors work or the turn table?
Well then I dont know what to tell you mine works perfect that way turn on the switches and they act up.

Travis

Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Wannabe

Travis, If you have a different pump motor ESC than stock, that could be why, I don't Know? But anyway i think RC4wd is going to set me up with a couple of free ESC's, we will see. So far they have been very helpful, as with you guys on the forum.

David
Old 11-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Wannabe

So, finnally got my excavator running again, it was the ESC's. To everyone who has a RC4WD xl4200, a good replacement ESC for both the drives and the turntable, is the Hobby Wing 1060. It is only twenty Bucks through Falcon RC.com, and is a very durable ESC.