RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough
Default Indy 2017

Hello everyone, Izzy here. First an apology for knowing information and not sharing as quickly as some would prefer. Some of you may recall that I was chosen to speak for us all to coordinate activities at the annual Indy show.

If you have already made hotel reservations, please consider canceling soon. My sincere apologies.

It is true, the traditional Indy show for us is canceled. Specifically, I could not reach an acord with Toy Trucker. Because of this they will not have provisions for anyone wanting to run an Rc truck.
You could however buy into a sales room from her and run you're truck in that room.

Reasons for this situation.
The contract at thevjotrl was due. As such they wanted to double the space costs to Toy Trucker. Therefore they wanted to double our costs. On the surface this didn't seem to bad as it is a three day show for us.
You may have noticed that we have been getting pushed further and further away. That there are more other events happening that we feel intrusive and creating a nuisance to others. Cathy wants us to run the halls but we get stares and offensive looks from other activity guests.
What you don't know is that, not only have we been covering our room cost but we have been supplementing the costs of other rooms as well. That this past year was the first we have gotten a share back of the drivers fees over the agreed coverage amoint. The first year Toy Trucker pocketed several hundred dollars while a select few dished out hundreds each to cover the costs of supplies.

So I talked with many and made a decision to stand our ground. I wanted reduced fees, room cost allowance and food vouchers.

Here is my reason why.

We were there as Entertainment for the buyers of toy trucks. Toy Trucker acts as a promoter to the hotel to fill their rooms with guests. Toy Trucker then charges a per vendor fee for the opportunity to be present. Then Toy Trucker charges a door fee for each guest to attend.
Today trucker not only wanted us to cover our space cost but to supplement other rooms, to pay door charges and to provide a service to attract their guests.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Backyard enginier

Default Re: Indy 2017

The only provision Cathy offered was to hold our costs and maybe drop the entry door fee. To basically hold our costs.

The other show here in Indiana that was in Lebanon was a good show. Food at very reasonable costs. Hotels nearly half that of Indy. No door fee. As much or more space. New facility ( no leaky roofs). Polished concrete floors. Dirt or Rubber our choice. No restrictions on what we bring. And a group that directly understands we are providing a service to them, to their customers.
It is however a home improvement show. Not directly related to us, but they appreciate us.

Ever notice the looks we get from the vendors at Indy. A few give us a smile, but most grimace because they think we are trying to steel their customers.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Backyard enginier

So, if the toy show happens, and you go, youre just a customer. There will not be any provisions for you to run you're truck.

Once again my apologies. Maybe I should have went withe the flow and kept up the charades, but I believe their must be balance, respect and fairness.

There was no apology, no balance, truths only when cornered and an attitude that we are now responsible for closing down her business opportunity.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Green Horn

firefighter30 is on a distinguished road

Glad to see a stand was taken it did seem like we where being pushed away from the rest of the show. So when is the lebanon show.

Member of the East Coast Mini Truckers
Old 01-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

So they really didn't want us there did they?

I get charging us gate, we can wander the show too. I get the promoter should make a little for making it all happen. But i don't get having the entertainment paying welfare for the vendors. Gate to walk the show seemed really low, our rate seemed awfully high, and i don't know anything about vendor rates but with most tonkas, 1/64, and such going for $100+ i think they could probably absorb some cost.

2016 was my first year running at indy, i was suprised at how much attitude i got when i went around the hotel trying to purchase a pit pass. I'm wanting to give you an absurd amount of money to drive a toy truck inside for a couple hours, even if you don't like us, atleast pretend to like my money.

How were we trying to 'steal' their customers? It's not like tamiya or weidco kits or rollers were being sold. Their toys can become rc if someone has the motivation. Converting is not really a great budget option, and in making it more expensive and fun loses value to the collectors. How were we really a threat?

I wish i could have made it to more of the indy shows, the prior show pics always looked great.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:16 AM
Green Horn

CustomRCmodels is on a distinguished road

wow Chris , I am blown away - since I couldn't make it in 2016 , I didn't know about any of that - though the past few times , especially since that show was done at the Marriot , it felt to me like it wasn't the same anymore as it used to be ....
what a darn shame - it was always great to see all you guys , plus meeting all the new guys getting in to this hobby - considering how it all started way back then with just a handful of us and Rick ......

http://www.customrcmodels.com/Events/id45.htm

Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Wannabe

up9018 is on a distinguished road

Wait until next year and see if they come around. I bet they hear "where are the RC trucks?" a lot this year. I haven't made it to the event yet, but have been involved in shows in other hobbies and know exactly what you are talking about.

Even if it is not directly related, the Lebanon thing sounds like a good way to get together and have some fun.

Chris
Old 01-05-2017, 05:02 PM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road

Glad to know that you have stood your ground. I think that in due time they will be wanting us back. Each year it seems to have been some kind of issues. This year being that their vacuums couldn't get the rubber up. Next thing is the cost issues. I realize we are a very scattered group of people but just travel expense alone is costly much less if you bring a couple of houdlums(Liam and Jax) that just adds that much more to put passes and gate entry. So maybe it's all for the good. But whatever I'm in for Lebanon if possible. Good decision IZZY
Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Good for you Izzy

I was blown away when Travis explained it to me how you guys were being hosed to provide entertainment at your own expense for the sole purpose of the promoter's profit... perhaps the promoter will realize your $ value in lack of attendance through door sales & come back with a better deal in the future.

Joe
Old 01-06-2017, 08:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

A big thanks to Izzy and Travis for keeping "Indy" going as long as they did, and Izzy or putting up with the promoters. It was very obvious what the group was up against in 2016. I agree we need to move on and look forward to 2017 and move on to the Lebanon facility. It's only 30 to 40 minutes from the old location. I won't repeat all the positive things that Izzy pointed out above about the new location but for those that weren't at the meet in Lebanon last year or missed the photos here they are again. We all need to get on board with this. Indy isn't over it just needs to move for all our benefit!

Old 01-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Wannabe

Mustang46555 is on a distinguished road

As already stated, a big thanks to Izzy and Travis for keeping Indy going as long as they did after Rick's departure from the event. The pictures from Lebanon last year look fantastic, I'm really sorry I had to miss that first event. A mistake that will not be repeated if we can get things going in Lebanon for 2017!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Any chance an event like this can take place in California?
Old 01-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Backyard enginier

Liftmys10- sure can. As posted elsewhere Indy started with 2 guys and a card table at a toy show. Then they invited and welcomed others to come play.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Indy 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Liftmys10- sure can. As posted elsewhere Indy started with 2 guys and a card table at a toy show. Then they invited and welcomed others to come play.

That's interesting, just curious, who were the two guys and where was the toy show?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Backyard enginier

It was this toy trucker show. Ric who was a vendor trying to sell wedico and Scott I believe. Scott had bought a truck, and ric invited him to come show it off.I think by year three they had 4 people?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftmys10 View Post
Any chance an event like this can take place in California?
Depending where you are, you could approach tamiya U.S.A headquarters in Irvine CA to possibly get a truck event rolling along their events. Of course wouldn't hurt to let them know "mostly" tamiya trucks would be run. Back in the earyly 2000's they used to run a "tamiyacon" in their area where my tank club ran demo's till they said they didn't want to deal with dumping a pile of dirt anymore.
Not sure if they still run that event but would't hurt to pick up the phone and rattle some heads.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 01-08-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Green Horn

Location: Up a hill above the dirty Ohio river on the Indiana side.
rcguyfarms is on a distinguished road

Chris u are correct about it was Ric and I at the very first Indy show. I had a wedico semi, dump trailer and the cat loader. I played in real sand on 8x8 raised table for three days. At times I drove semis throught out the hotel. I am in the back in a blue shirt

Old 01-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Didn't Ric used to do a show in Arizona?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Wannabe

Mustang46555 is on a distinguished road

I believe Ric still does a show in Arizona, he quit traveling to Indiana due to the distance involved after his wife passed away.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBennyB View Post
Depending where you are, you could approach tamiya U.S.A headquarters in Irvine CA to possibly get a truck event rolling along their events. Of course wouldn't hurt to let them know "mostly" tamiya trucks would be run. Back in the earyly 2000's they used to run a "tamiyacon" in their area where my tank club ran demo's till they said they didn't want to deal with dumping a pile of dirt anymore.
Not sure if they still run that event but would't hurt to pick up the phone and rattle some heads.
I will ask Jason Lane if he has connections with Tamiya in Irvine. Thanks for the advice.