RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Corral for the IRONHORSE

Corral for the IRONHORSE If it runs on rails,put it here!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:19 AM

CG Bob is on a distinguished road
Default Hi-rail trucks and equipment

Has anyone built any hi-rail trucks or construction gear? I think there is some interesting hi-rail gear out there.

Mitchell Equipment
Sterling Rail

I like the idea of a rotary dump, where the dump bed can rotate 90 degrees left or right and dump the load.

Tractor trailer hi rail rigs:

Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hi-rail trucks and equipment

As a railfan, I find these trucks really interesting as well. I've never thought about building one, simply because there are no affordable, nor readily available model trains in a scale that matches the typical Tamiya or Wedico trucks, so one would have to be happy driving it around, off the rails. But in my opinion, it would be kind of like having a wheel loader, but not being able to use it to load trucks. I think you would be missing out on some 'play factor' by not being able to run a hi-rail truck on the rails too. Never the less, they are neat, and I've only ever seen one scale RC build of a hi-rail truck.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...hlight=hi-rail

That old Kenworth COE is definitely interesting. You don't see those around much, let alone as a hi-rail truck.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Yes there is definitely some cool rail equipment out there. Have you seen the Brandt OTM Tracker? Basically a Deere Excavator with a purpose built undercarriage to move on top of gondolas.

http://www.brandt.ca/Divisions/RoadR...9&cat=Products

There's a bunch of videos of it on Youtube, just search for OTM Tracker. Here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbd8Z-9JUo

Brandt also makes a tractor/power unit for moving railcars, etc. I considered making some of this stuff but then you'd also have to build the railroad, so it's not high on my list. Hope this helps.

[Normal disclaimer: I don't work for Brandt, nor am I trying to advertise their product, blah, blah, blah]

Oh! One last thing, check out the Herzog car toppers. These guys get backhoes up on top of gondolas. Way cool! Bet it's scary as **** learning how to do it right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ddhTvMwSQ
Old 07-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
As a railfan, I find these trucks really interesting as well. I've never thought about building one, simply because there are no affordable, nor readily available model trains in a scale that matches the typical Tamiya or Wedico trucks, so one would have to be happy driving it around, off the rails. But in my opinion, it would be kind of like having a wheel loader, but not being able to use it to load trucks. I think you would be missing out on some 'play factor' by not being able to run a hi-rail truck on the rails too. Never the less, they are neat, and I've only ever seen one scale RC build of a hi-rail truck.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...hlight=hi-rail

That old Kenworth COE is definitely interesting. You don't see those around much, let alone as a hi-rail truck.
all he needs is a 7/8ths railroad and he could use it ,we use g scale track and make 1 1/13.7 scale bodys on it
Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

I've been looking into track for a 1:14 roadrailer I'm building. The 7/8" scale is very close, but everything I've seen is narrow gauge. Not something that would work with the normal hi-railer stuff made for standard gauge. I'm thinking of making some 1:14 standard gauge panel track for my roadrailer to change from road-to-rail and back, but an operating oval and some side tracks would be awesome. Just have to build a std-gauge loco!

Ken
Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Journeyman

I've been looking into track for a 1:14 roadrailer I'm building. The 7/8" scale is very close, but everything I've seen is narrow gauge. Not something that would work with the normal hi-railer stuff made for standard gauge. I'm thinking of making some 1:14 standard gauge panel track for my roadrailer to change from road-to-rail and back, but an operating oval and some side tracks would be awesome. Just have to build a std-gauge loco!

Ken
Old 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

well the closest railroad true scale is 1/16 scale where the track is 3.5 inches wide
this is what the small steamers use
Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Journeyman

Wonder how 1:14 equipment on 1:16 track would look - too much difference in size? Guess I'll have to think on that a while.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Ken
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

Hi ken if you buy rail and spike it down yourself the 3/4 scale will work for you just your rail to 4 feet 81/2 inches it will be good . I'm actually going to build a standard guage boxcar so my narrow guage can load into the big one . Usually you can't buy premodern track in 3/4 scale you have to do it yourself . Mike