RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Metal forming & tools

Metal forming & tools If it bends,twists,welds,cuts & turns metal.Post it here

Old 10-31-2013, 08:10 AM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road
Default Lathe options

I'm looking at buying a lathe and have 2 options.

1) Craftex 7x12 with a few options such as faceplate, steady rest. I can get one used for $600 with a few extra options such as a face plate, tool bits, thread dial indicator. The lathe sells for $750 new.

2) The other option is a King Canada 7"x12" with a quick change gear box, steady rest, replacement gears, 4way tool post, dead center, threading dial indicator, 4"-3 jaw chuck and ermegency stop button. It sells for $1000 new.

I can get both lathes locally, and wondering if someone has any experience with either makes/models? The 7"x12" would be a good size for me as I still live in a apartment and would be keeping it at my friends place or my parents place. I'm also contemplating to wait until I get get a bigger unit.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 PM

Tinbender is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lathe options

I don't know if you can get these up there, but I have a Sur-line that is about 20years old and it still gives me great service. You can also get a Verticle mill made by them and the add on parts don't ever seem to end. You can even get these in CNC version. Not expensive at all and easy to carry around and small enough to use in an apartment, I know I done it once all ready. These lathes and mills are so accurate and popular there is annual completion with them. They are on the internet.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide on.

Rodger
Old 11-18-2013, 03:02 PM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lathe options

Thanks for reply Tinbender! I was looking at the sur-line as well, they are interesting machines.
This may just be the machine to get for now.

I come to realize that all the 7"x12" lathes I was considering are all made by the same manufactuer. Grizzly, Craftex, King tool are all the same, minus different colors and switches. The King tool comes with more standard options, and that's why its a bit more expensive.
I saw one operate and thought it was nice.

It'll have to wait, on the drive from viewing the lathe my daily driver front right wheel bearing started to roar pretty bad, and after doing a bit more inspection the LF wheel bearing and idler pullies are all crying for replacement.