RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Odds and Ends. > Non Rc Model Trucks and Equipment

Non Rc Model Trucks and Equipment This area is for the custom builders of the "MODEL" world to show there NON RC metal and plastic creations and builds.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 PM

Muleskinner is on a distinguished road
Default Butler Brothers logger

Way back when I was logging in the Willamette Forest here in Oregon, I had heard tales of an Off Hiway rig in Nianamo, B.C. on the Island of Vancouver which was said could haul three times the load of an average Off Hiway rig any where in the Pacific Northwest. Being a logger you hear a lot of tales, which make Paul and Babe look like midgets. This truck was one of them.

I really didn't believe it until on one trip to the Island to see some friends, I saw this rig sitting in the back lot of a logging outfit in Nianamo, but never had time to stop and look it over. I was steered not to long ago to a web site which had sketchy pictures of the same rig, which I used to do the model. The biggest problem was the size in comparison to what model trucks were on the market today. Then one day I was looking at the models in my stash and low and behold I found the one which I was looking for in the ERTL Payhauler!

I needed two and only had one so I made a trade with Loghauler who lives close by and began my quest to build a hopefully model of this truck, if not perfect but a facsimile to it.

I began by stretching the frame a great deal because of the length of the 1:1 and converting the axles so it would have the four as on the 1:1. I also removed the cab from the Payhauler front end at the line where the floor board met the sides and rebuilt it to the type on the Butler truck. With this done the rest of the Payhauler front end was discarded to the parts box and the front of the frame was built into the type on the 1:1, with the offset radiator beside the engine and air cleaners in front.

To make a long story short, This is the unfinished results of the weeks work. I still have a lot of details to add to the drive train and also another fuel tank for the right side. I also have to add the rear spring supports to the back axle as well as detail the rear bunks by adding cables to them. The steering unit for the tandem steer axles also has to be added.

All in all it has been a challenging model as I do not build trucks very often, unless they are historical or unusual in the logging industry but also it gave me a break from the Lidgerwood I am building. This model will eventually have its trailer unit and will be weathered in my usual fashion. When completed in 1/25th scale the model will be about four feet long when scaled to the 1:1.

The Original 1:1

The 1/25th scale model in progress

Front details showing the suspended cab shock mounts.

Another detail shot of the front end.

Panoramic view length wise of the whole truck.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Butler Brothers logger

Sweet! That looks great. I just have one question... why is that 16V71 painted cat yellow? Just kidding, it's really cool. As a long term Sooke guy it's nice to see more Butler stuff being built. They really had a huge impact on the logging around here back in the day.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Sweet! That looks great. I just have one question... why is that 16V71 painted cat yellow? Just kidding, it's really cool. As a long term Sooke guy it's nice to see more Butler stuff being built. They really had a huge impact on the logging around here back in the day.
The pictures I modeled off of were really scetchy (Mostly Black and white)and didn't show much of the engine. Since the rest of the unit was yellow, I said what the heck and did the engine in the same equipment color. I'm planning to build the other two units I have pics of, which appear to be articulated units, to add to my Historical Logging Equipment collection.

william
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

That sounds good that your planning to build a couple more butler trucks. Oh... You could paint it pink and I would still think it was cool.... Weird but cool.Haha!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

William. don't know if you've seen it but Jordy and his dad are building the same truck on another thread. http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1814
I also know the fellow who built those trucks and he lives out in Sydney on Vancouver Island. Very nice start on a great model and look forward to seeing more.
Rob
Old 06-26-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
William. don't know if you've seen it but Jordy and his dad are building the same truck on another thread. http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1814
I also know the fellow who built those trucks and he lives out in Sydney on Vancouver Island. Very nice start on a great model and look forward to seeing more.
Rob
I would sure like to get in touch with him (Who built the trucks) to get a little more information on them. What I have found on the net is kind of bligh when it comes to clear info and detail.

William
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

William. I'm going to be in touch with Gary this weekend and I'll ask if it's okay for you to
phone him about the trucks.
Rob
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
William. I'm going to be in touch with Gary this weekend and I'll ask if it's okay for you to
phone him about the trucks.
Rob
Thanks Steamer, I really appreciate it.

William