RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first semi build thread

I love the way SuperMario did Sue's black Peterbilt.

Last edited by Claus; 09-15-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:52 PM
Green Horn

Just_Build_It is on a distinguished road

Pretty creative engineering right there. That's exactly the placement of the servo I was hoping to achieve.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Those are RC Damper crossmembers Mario is using, you can find those on eBay.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Green Horn

Oh alright, I appreciate it. I'll have a look for them. Haven't used eBay in a few years since I've discovered Amazon prime lol. It looks that eBay has a bunch of stuff for these trucks.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:01 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Once it was set up it took a little adjustment bending the Z rod to the correct length from the servo to tt to get the right tention holding the king pin tight with a fully laydend trailer on it but once do it works great and I set it up on the gear channel toggle switch so it easy to operate and not worrying about playing with other settings...
And I still have the power switch in the tt covered with heat shrink..

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Green Horn

That does look like a pain getting the bends set correctly but we'll worth the look of lack of visible servo components.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:08 AM

Backlash is on a distinguished road

Instead of using the 2mm rod, I use a braided fishing line..

The benefits are that its very difficult to see the fishing line, and it will also allow you to couple up to a trailer without having to manually unlock or open the latch on your 5th wheel like you will have to with the rod..
Old 09-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Green Horn

I'm glad you brought that up Backlash. That's is one of those things you don't think about until it's too late. A steel leader would work and look like it belongs also. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

I put a micro servo on my first truck, ran the rod down everything is easily adjusted with a programmable radio, works great....as long as its the only truck you have and your only pulling one trailer or its a shelf queen. As my fleet grew, with both trucks and trailers I realized that it was a huge PIA, mostly when I was at a meet and wanted to switch trailers or in one case a young guy new to the truck stuff asked if he could pull my trailer hooked to that tractor, didn't want to tell him no so I had to shut down the truck I was driving and switch models in the radio just to unlatch the 5th wheel. The cool factor and good clean look wore off real fast as this type of thing happened more than once. You also might consider a separate receiver battery pack instead of the ESC BEC or have a hot spare battery with you all the time, if your battery dies or you have an electrical problem its a real pain trying to move a truck with the trailer attached to it, to the bench or where ever just because its "cool" to have a servo operated 5th wheel. I won't change my first truck but I haven't done it to the last 2 I've built. Have fun, its looking good, liking the purple, waiting for more pics!

Last edited by TRUCKMAKER; 09-16-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Green Horn

With that being said about the rod operated fifth wheel, I'm definitely going to use a steel wire for a servo operated hook. I can see how that would be a problem with a rod as you've experienced. Thank you for the advice TruckMaker. I'm sure I can hook up a BEC to the micro servo and run it off another battery for a plane that can tuck down beside the servo. With a wire and not a rod it would be easy for my skinny fingers to just give it a tug to release a trailer. I'll probably attach an extra wire so it'll be easier to release a trailer.

I haven't really had any updates yet but I'll certainly get some pictures later of an addition I'm working on.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

What I meant about the battery is a 4 cell battery holder that has 4 AA batteries in it which plugs into the battery socket on your receiver, it replaces the BEC in your ESC. MAKE SURE THAT IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE YOU REMOVE THE RED WIRE FROM THE ESC PLUG WHERE IT PLUGS INTO THE RECEIVER OR YOU WILL ALLOW THE MAGIC BLUE SMOKE TO ESCAPE! This way you don't need a BEC or a motor battery to operate the radio system, its also nice for setting a radio system up on the bench and keeps you from watching the truck flying off the bench because something wasn't adjusted right or a servo was reversed etc., again experience tells the tale, LOL.

Last edited by TRUCKMAKER; 09-16-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:35 PM
Green Horn

Oh alright gotcha! Yes I am aware of that disconnection of the red wire is a must when plugged into the rx. Double the voltage isn't always double the fun. I do however have an rx solely for testing on my bench. It is definitely a great tool to have for what you are talking about, I too have experienced runaway motors before , it's not fun lol. Sometimes I tend to over complicate things, case an point the micro servo power suppl and I'm sure it won't be the last time during this build either. With everyone's help an advice is sending this build in a great direction which I'm pretty thankful for.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Green Horn

I had some black ABS plastic laying around so I made a leafspring mount to pull the axle forward a smidgen.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:36 PM
Green Horn

That spring relocation isn't very practical so I did some searching around for a better solution so tomorrow I'm going to roll the leafs and the styrene I ordered will be here tomorrow so I can start working on the hood. Also have an rc4wd 65t motor to replace the stocker. I have plenty of 55t motors but never tried a 65 can. Tomorrow should be a productive day.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Green Horn

Starting to look road worthy. Mounted the bumper nut not finished with wiring the 32 leds on it yet, I'm going to need a larger battery for all the lights that will be on this rolling Christmas Tree.
The axle need to be moved forward, I just don't know which route to take with accomplishing this task. I also found a way to add a steel wire to the fifth wheel hook with an electric wire connector.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

As far as moving the axle forward, loosen the u-bolts and move the axle forward of the bump retainers and check to see if it's enough and tighten it all back up. It won't move once everything is tight but you'll have to adjust your steering a bit. I did this on a chassis about 2 weeks ago and it worked great. It doesn't change the ride height or steering enough to notice.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Green Horn

Thanks, I will give that a go!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Green Horn

Thanks TruckMaker for that quick front axle trick, works great and didn't really need to touch the steering or make any other adjustment.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Looking good! Moving the front axle and lowering the sleeper roof made some big improvements for sure.

I really like the length of a stock Grand Hauler, not too short, not too long.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Build_It View Post
Thanks TruckMaker for that quick front axle trick, works great and didn't really need to touch the steering or make any other adjustment.
Your Welcome, It looks good and I agree with Claus, the length is perfect!