RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

Very impressive, those rubber feet are usually pretty grippy on the concrete. The truck and your skills are amazing.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Glue, glue, machine parts, glue, paint.... you get the point....Almost there!

I'm using HPI E-Savage diffs (13/38T)and I keep breaking spider gears(HEAVY HEAVY). I was just wondering if anyone knew of an upgrade for these. I see that they make an upgrade(4 bevel) for some but I don't know if they fit...Help!lol

Videos to follow....

Thanks, Reg
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The videos...http://youtu.be/mqXvmf2AXHc http://youtu.be/XWg2XJ3rzI8 http://youtu.be/9ApxS1HkMxw

Thanks for looking!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

Wonderful!

Kerst
Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful Reg! All the details sure paid off. The handles, the windshield, the wipers, and paint all turned out really nice. You have to be happy with the results! The 850 looks great driving around in your videos. It's very sharp.

Did I read right, that your differentials have already let go? You might want to give these E-Savage differential kits a try. Made by a Canadian shop as well, so shipping shouldn't kill you.

http://gcmracing.ca/viewitem.php?productid=44

For your cab clearance lights, I would just run 3mm orange LEDs inside them, with the appropriate dropping resistors, which depends on your battery source. It's pretty easy to figure out. It's hard to tell, but are your headlights already functional too? In some of the photos it looks like you have white LEDs inside them, or else it's just the aluminum reflecting the natural light. You could probably try warm white LEDs there too.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Beautiful Reg! All the details sure paid off. The handles, the windshield, the wipers, and paint all turned out really nice. You have to be happy with the results! The 850 looks great driving around in your videos. It's very sharp.

Did I read right, that your differentials have already let go? You might want to give these E-Savage differential kits a try. Made by a Canadian shop as well, so shipping shouldn't kill you.

http://gcmracing.ca/viewitem.php?productid=44

For your cab clearance lights, I would just run 3mm orange LEDs inside them, with the appropriate dropping resistors, which depends on your battery source. It's pretty easy to figure out. It's hard to tell, but are your headlights already functional too? In some of the photos it looks like you have white LEDs inside them, or else it's just the aluminum reflecting the natural light. You could probably try warm white LEDs there too.
Still a few things missing detail wise but it's getting there. Yes the headlights are lit and so are the side makers on the fenders. I'm not sure what route I will take with the clearance lights. I'm thinking that may be a winter project.

The diffs are fine until I pull a generator across the floor or load it with logs and drive on the gravel.. I pulled apart the rear diff Thursday night and it was sick(I had one spare set of spiders). I think they are sick again so I need to do something different. I will shoot those guys an email and see if their upgrade will work with my axle shafts. I almost bought aluminum housings in the beginning but didn't. I would like to do the upgrade that adds another shaft and bevel gear set. That would help displace the load more evenly on the side gears. I think I am expecting a lot trying to move around close to 100lbs with these tiny little pieces.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

It's kind of an after thought now, Reg, but maybe some 1/8 scale buggy differentials would have been a stronger option. Or some nitro Savage differentials.... It would stink to have to remake the axles, but maybe you could do a retro-fit.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'll get it figured out. Funny how the parts I thought would be good are the ones giving the problems. I will try the aluminum housings and see what happens. Axial makes them and the local hobby shop has them in stock. They may reduce the flex a little and give better gear lash. If not I'll have to find some lighter wood! I could make spools but it would never steer.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Journeyman

Hemi1966 is on a distinguished road

Great job Reg, it's a beauty
Love the videos, it moves so realistic due the weight and size

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Simply stunning!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Reg which 1's did you get ? I put the nitro sets in the mack and the 990 and they took some abuse

truck looks great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

These ones are from the E-savage. The axles have two flats and slide into the side gears. I'll pull it apart today and see what's happening for sure. I'll take some pictures and post them up. I guess this is the trouble you run into sometimes when the stuff is so big and heavy. The truck and trailer are around 50 pounds and it moves that just fine with no issues. Add a load and $h!t goes south...it looks pretty though...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 AM

louie r/c nut is on a distinguished road

Very nice looking rig .
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 AM

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

I assume this 1 http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-E...item51adac50e1

this is the 1 I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Nitro-Sa...item53f86f238a Much beefier and the gears are hard as (-)3!!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes Steve, same as the first one except on mine the axles enter the housing and slip into the side gears. I don't think I could make what you're using work in these rear ends so I will try to upgrade the plastic case to aluminum. If that doesn't work then I will make new diffs in the fall...

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 AM

I'm wondering If the gear mesh is a little loose . Yea put the alum case on . I have that on mine . The plastic may be flexing just enough under load to tear them up . Worse case you could lock em up Turn a solid spool on your lathe ? to put the ring gear on . Looks like you got enough weight and length it shouldn't effect steering to much . + you wont get stuck unless you spin all 4

Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
I'm wondering If the gear mesh is a little loose . Yea put the alum case on . I have that on mine . The plastic may be flexing just enough under load to tear them up . Worse case you could lock em up Turn a solid spool on your lathe ? to put the ring gear on . Looks like you got enough weight and length it shouldn't effect steering to much . + you wont get stuck unless you spin all 4
After I broke the first one I spent the time to make sure the gear mesh was as tight as possible(shims). I can see how the plastic would flex under this much load and cause the gear lash to change though. An aluminum case should stop any flexing and that may be enough. Like you said I could change it to a solid axle and that would stop it for sure! Then I'll break something else...
Old 06-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I did some more fiddling and I think I made some progress. There is no shims for the planet gears and upon further inspection there needs to be. You can't get good gear lash by using the supplied shims on the side gears alone so I made some out of washers for the other gears. I had to assemble and disassemble them a few times each, carefully filing the washers each time. Seems to be much better now as it towed the gen-set from one end of the shop to the other with no complaints even while turning left and right.

Here's what breaks...

Here's what I'm hoping fixed it...

and a couple pictures of my trucks together....

Thanks for lookin
Old 06-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Reg, shimming the differential's planet gears is a good idea. I think that will help you for sure, but getting an aluminum diff carrier in there to support the gears will be better yet. Who knows, maybe between both of these ideas you'll be all right! I have to agree with you....locked differentials, and a full load will probably equal a truck that only goes straight!

Boy, the 850 sure looks good outside! I was meaning to ask - how did you make the window gaskets? I need to figure that out for my Needlenose KW. I was thinking square o-ring material (splicing kit), or styrene (probably the better idea) would okay. Just kind of fiddly. I'd love to hear how you pulled it off because it looks really nice.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yeah hopefully I will have the diff issue solved now. I will buy the aluminum housings and cross my fingers.

The window gaskets(Euc and KW) are made from old wiper blades(I keep telling you guys...HOARDER). I use the part that holds the wiper to the arm. One side of it is a little wider so you have to trim that off somehow or it will not sit flat in tight corners. Works pretty decent for the price of a pair of wipers you were gonna through away ... One wiper does a couple windows if your careful.