RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 777 HAUL TRUCK (1/12 size)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSGARAGE View Post
There is a place here in Canada it's called Princess Auto...well almost...LOL
(don't tell anyone...but I tried this thing out at the shop today....HEEHEE..)
Princess doesn't have enough junk anymore! Too much made in China new stuff!

...and how did it go???? Did it steer???
Old 12-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

How did what go ??? Can't tell ya !!!
( Hey man.... I told you not to tell anyone !!!!..... LOL....I will add more soon....)
Old 12-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Apprentice

Cut new plates for the rear swing arms to limit the down travel and avoid pulling the rear suspension cylinders apart everytime I picked it up.....needed to do this a long time ago....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

I see what you mean about "SPACE".
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the link!!...yes a diff. would be much better!!! but space is a problem even on this bigger model...the axle housing (pipe) is about 2.850" OD
Old 12-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Apprentice

Here is a vid of the steering...it is a bit slow but it does seem to have enough torque ( about 4 seconds , full travel, left to right)

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for looking....
Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Sweet! Now lets see it driving around!
A friend of mine is running a brand new PC5500 face shovel in a BC coal mine. Yesterday he dropped by for a Xmas visit with a present for me...A 400 page operation and maintenance manual for the machine... In 1/10 it will be 35" tall at the house, and about 29" wide with the standard tracks. I'm not sure if I will try to build it but if I did it would be huge.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

Hi, thats a fine steering setup you've got there) The speed seams more than fast enough i would say. Is that just a standard servo? It seams to follow the stick, is it some special programing that makes the servo travel that many turns in each direction, is it available on several kinds of radios? what about the pot.meter that usually is in the servos, is it removed or?
I've got a Airtronics Sd-10G here, that I really haven't started to get that familiar to yet, but I noticed something in the book about adjusting servos up to 150% travel. On your, you must have but it to several 1000% travel?

Last edited by Rimrock; 12-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Great job on the 777 lot of nice ideas and it also helps to have a water jet close at hand. You have put some great thought into this build and it shows. I would like to do one to match my 1/12 scale excavator with some changer to what you did. Keep up the good work you have a talent. Ed
Old 12-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Sweet! Now lets see it driving around!
A friend of mine is running a brand new PC5500 face shovel in a BC coal mine. Yesterday he dropped by for a Xmas visit with a present for me...A 400 page operation and maintenance manual for the machine... In 1/10 it will be 35" tall at the house, and about 29" wide with the standard tracks. I'm not sure if I will try to build it but if I did it would be huge.
Thanks...( I didn't get a video when I was trying it out the other day, the steering set up does have enough power even with 60lbs of weight in the box, but this is on a flat concrete floor...dirt could be a different story.I just have foam in the rear tires and the 60lbs was really flattening them out but it still seemed to turn OK , but I think the rear tires might be slipping on the rims)

A PC5500 in 1/10 would be awesome!!! If you build it you almost won't need your mini ex. anymore. What about the PC3000, just a bit smaller

http://www.equipmentcentral.com/nort...nt/ACF1184.pdf
Old 12-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimrock View Post
Hi, thats a fine steering setup you've got there) The speed seams more than fast enough i would say. Is that just a standard servo? It seams to follow the stick, is it some special programing that makes the servo travel that many turns in each direction, is it available on several kinds of radios? what about the pot.meter that usually is in the servos, is it removed or?
I've got a Airtronics Sd-10G here, that I really haven't started to get that familiar to yet, but I noticed something in the book about adjusting servos up to 150% travel. On your, you must have but it to several 1000% travel?
Here is a link to the winch servo I'm trying in steering, it has 3.5 turns
http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product

I got the steering idea from looking at this set up at Servo City
http://www.servocity.com/html/spg785...tom_mount.html
Old 12-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

This is such a cool build to watch, and you are making incredible progress! I'm glad you got some larger photos up. I like your drivetrain and that steering system is pretty cool. I hadn't seen that style servo rack on servocity before. Those guys are constantly coming up with lots of new products. Genius idea on limiting the rear suspension travel, with those new arms and the set screw stops too.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to offer a suggestion for your steering knuckle drag links are set up. I've tried an identical system just like that before and I found that you can't get the proper ackerman geometry with it. The inside (of the turn) tire should turn in sharper than the outside. It makes a huge difference in steering. Right now, yours is the opposite. On a heavy truck like this, you might notice an improvement even more so than smaller models. It will 'plow' less in the turns.

It looks you could pretty easily fix the geometry, if you wanted, without changing anything but the way your drag links are bolted to the center steering arm. You just need to swap the right and left side drag links, where they mount to the center arm, with each other. Obviously you can't do that without interference, unless you bolt one drag link on the top of the arm to the top of the steering knuckle, and one on the lower side of both the arm and the knuckle. Picture worth a thousand words....

I don't know if you have the room for changing the drag links to one under, one over, but if you do, give it a shot, and then take your truck for another drive to check how much better it steers. Like I said, I've been there, tried that! Just wanted to share my experiences. I hope you don't mind me suggesting this, and my intention is not to offend you. I can't wait to see this truck all finished up!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Thanks...( I didn't get a video when I was trying it out the other day, the steering set up does have enough power even with 60lbs of weight in the box, but this is on a flat concrete floor...dirt could be a different story.I just have foam in the rear tires and the 60lbs was really flattening them out but it still seemed to turn OK , but I think the rear tires might be slipping on the rims)

A PC5500 in 1/10 would be awesome!!! If you build it you almost won't need your mini ex. anymore. What about the PC3000, just a bit smaller

http://www.equipmentcentral.com/nort...nt/ACF1184.pdf
I think a 1/10th 5500 would be a little hard to move around but you are right, I could probably sell my Kubota!lol I have been planning a big Euc R18 in my head for a while so the shovel may come in handy some day...

Instead of running foams in the rear tires, couldn't you just put the valve stems in the center between the duals?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
I think a 1/10th 5500 would be a little hard to move around but you are right, I could probably sell my Kubota!lol I have been planning a big Euc R18 in my head for a while so the shovel may come in handy some day...

Instead of running foams in the rear tires, couldn't you just put the valve stems in the center between the duals?
Ya a 1/10 shovel that size would be a challenge to move around sounds like work....you would just have to build a bigger truck to haul it around, something like the photo but bigger...much bigger

I plan on using air on the inside duals and have the stems facing in toward the frame, I really don't want to see valve stems but I can't help it....there is no room between the tires to get at the valve stems, and they are a split rim (two halves) so that means the tires must be mounted in order to put air in them.....may need a way to connect the rims together before they get installed....
Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Could you extend the valve stem on the outside dual and run it through the rim of the inside tire so that both stems were on the frame side? Having air in all the tires would be nice so that you could adjust things to suit weight or traction.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Apprentice

Good question....need to give that idea some thought !!!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

What about some of those short chrome valve stems?
Cheers, Neil.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
This is such a cool build to watch, and you are making incredible progress! I'm glad you got some larger photos up. I like your drivetrain and that steering system is pretty cool. I hadn't seen that style servo rack on servocity before. Those guys are constantly coming up with lots of new products. Genius idea on limiting the rear suspension travel, with those new arms and the set screw stops too.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to offer a suggestion for your steering knuckle drag links are set up. I've tried an identical system just like that before and I found that you can't get the proper ackerman geometry with it. The inside (of the turn) tire should turn in sharper than the outside. It makes a huge difference in steering. Right now, yours is the opposite. On a heavy truck like this, you might notice an improvement even more so than smaller models. It will 'plow' less in the turns.

It looks you could pretty easily fix the geometry, if you wanted, without changing anything but the way your drag links are bolted to the center steering arm. You just need to swap the right and left side drag links, where they mount to the center arm, with each other. Obviously you can't do that without interference, unless you bolt one drag link on the top of the arm to the top of the steering knuckle, and one on the lower side of both the arm and the knuckle. Picture worth a thousand words....

I don't know if you have the room for changing the drag links to one under, one over, but if you do, give it a shot, and then take your truck for another drive to check how much better it steers. Like I said, I've been there, tried that! Just wanted to share my experiences. I hope you don't mind me suggesting this, and my intention is not to offend you. I can't wait to see this truck all finished up!
The pics of the steering are deceiving...I didn't have the tie rod lengths set up properly when I took the pics.... one side is longer(oops), which means the steeing arms are not parallel to each other or the frame when pointed straight. I think I know what you mean about the steering geometry when turning the inide tires always have a smaller turning radius which is why the inside front tire need to turn at a sharper angle than the outside tire...this is also the reason why a differential is needed....

Best part of being on here is learning from others...thanks for the input!!

Here is a screen shot of what I used to set up the steering on the truck at full lock....maybe I did this wrong??

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
The pics of the steering are deceiving...I didn't have the tie rod lengths set up properly when I took the pics.... one side is longer(oops), which means the steeing arms are not parallel to each other or the frame when pointed straight. I think I know what you mean about the steering geometry when turning the inide tires always have a smaller turning radius which is why the inside front tire need to turn at a sharper angle than the outside tire...this is also the reason why a differential is needed....

Best part of being on here is learning from others...thanks for the input!!

Here is a screen shot of what I used to set up the steering on the truck at full lock....maybe I did this wrong??

[IMG][/IMG]
Oh come on now that's just cheating! What happened to the build it wrong ten times, get p'd off, forget about it and have the solution come to you when you are thinking about something completely different way of building? I need to get more computer savvy!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Apprentice

I need all the help I can get.....I still make things wrong ten times...I just make more mistakes faster....