RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Get it out of your system! HERE!

Get it out of your system! HERE! You have a gripe,bone to pick, Tamiya vs Wedico or just have to let it out! THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE TO DO IT!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:48 AM

Prodrvr2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How about more, detailed pics of your trailer builds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy8305 View Post
Hey

Hey Pro I think its good you wanna learn and help this hobby grow. I do apologize if it seemed like i jumped on you for your thoughts.
Man it's cool, I'm just involved in so much stuff that paying $700 to $1500 for a nice trailer is just not practical for me. I was even thinking of trying to build one in all abs plastic and some strip wood as I don't have a $4000 heavy, all metal loader to pull on it. A lot of you guys are lucky to be able to afford those!!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

just decide you want it and save.. i did snow plowing last winter to buy my excavator
and will do it again this year to buy the eagle dozer
Old 10-18-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford View Post
just decide you want it and save.. i did snow plowing last winter to buy my excavator
and will do it again this year to buy the eagle dozer
Yeah that would be great if I still lived on the island, but there's no snow where I live now lol. However I could save my tax returns for a couple of years...hmmm.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

yea anyway to save would help you out I had to save for mine and make a few deals here and there to get my first grand hauler and some of my other things I have I am making most of the parts for with my mill since I just bought a house and know I cant afford to buy some of the great toys these guys have but sometimes you just gotta do what works for you
Old 10-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

Hi prodrvr I do house renovations for a living and recycle all my scrap metal and cash it in at the scrap yard . Mike
Old 10-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrvr2006 View Post
Well I appreciate that. I'm a grumpy bastard too at times. I'm not here to learn how to build trailers to sell. First off, I don't have the time or nearly anywhere near the equipment I see a lot of you guys have to build these things. I don't have tig welders, slip rolls, metal brakes, cnc machines, etc... But the insinuation of me trolling to get info just blew my mind. As mentioned before, besides now getting into r/c semis, I also run crawlers, onroads, boats, and heli's. Every person on forums for those things will gladly go out of their way to post pics, give dimensions, and give you sites to where they got the raw materials...even the guys who make aftermarket parts to supplement their income. I ask for pics and details because I don't want to waste time or money buying things that won't work or styrene that's not the right thickness or the wrong type of tool for the job. It's all about promoting the hobby, not being all secretive about something you create. And by the way, without a patent, anyone can copy and reproduce anything that's out there. To really be an a s s, you can buy someone's trailer, reproduce it all and resell it for less than them and make a nice profit...just saying.
It is more of the section that you posted it that got the members worked up. Had you just posted in the general discussion for help finding build threads on trailers you would have gotten a better response. There are plenty of builds on the forum to learn from and you can ask for more pics and most will help you out no problems asked. But to start off by complaining did not go over well as you can see.

I will agree that there are not a lot of build threads on trailers as most just modify the stock trailers and often include it in the build of their trucks. Some do keep parts of their builds to themselves and leave you guessing but it just because it makes there build unique which will just make you work harder to figure out how it’s done.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 10-18-2015, 07:52 PM

Gotcha Travis...my bad
Old 10-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

If you want some pointers I'd be glad to share some thoughts. Here's a few thoughts ro start

In my experience, Our trucks and trailers in stock form are not scale. And not width to height to length.
Additionally, getting stock or aftermarket suspension systems tends to be the lesser cost avenue.
Styrene is good, I like .08. Has good body and yet not too thick.

Balsa is a good choice too.

It really depends on what you want to do with the trailer - how much abuse.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
If you want some pointers I'd be glad to share some thoughts. Here's a few thoughts ro start

In my experience, Our trucks and trailers in stock form are not scale. And not width to height to length.
Additionally, getting stock or aftermarket suspension systems tends to be the lesser cost avenue.
Styrene is good, I like .08. Has good body and yet not too thick.

Balsa is a good choice too.

It really depends on what you want to do with the trailer - how much abuse.
Ok cool thanks. At this time, I want to try to lengthen the stock tamiya flatbed that I have to a scale 48'. After that, I would like a dry van trailer. That's probably it, but would like to have a tank trailer too one day.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Ok so how about you start a thread and ill see what we can stir up. Best if you can identify a pic or website that we all can visit to know what you are going for.
Highway trucks and trailers......
Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Ok so how about you start a thread and ill see what we can stir up. Best if you can identify a pic or website that we all can visit to know what you are going for.
Highway trucks and trailers......
Well I have a thread on the truck I'm starting to build now. Maybe I can post a trailer pic there?
Old 10-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

no it is not a shot of any kind ..if anything i am trying to get the comraderie back into this hobby like it was awhile ago.People would be ok with sharing ideas and thoughts or whatever ...unfortunately there still are some people like this but the majority of us are willing to help
Old 10-26-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 kenworth View Post
no it is not a shot of any kind ..if anything i am trying to get the comraderie back into this hobby like it was awhile ago.People would be ok with sharing ideas and thoughts or whatever ...unfortunately there still are some people like this but the majority of us are willing to help