RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Wannabe

Brel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Awesome piece of kit, a well crafted Model of a dragline
Been reading this topic for ages and finally decided to post a comment
about twenty years ago I was working in demolition (when I was younger and fitter (now 48) and was watching the dragline operator that was knocking down a pre-fab concrete building with a 1/2 ton ball, he was getting the building down in no time at all and was a artisan at driving the machine, I believe it was a Ruston-Bucyrus machine and ran on tracks, it was of 1950's vintage, I sat in the machine one lunch time and went what the **** do all these levers and pedals do, I had not got a clue.

Last edited by Brel; 05-25-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great day steve! That's a big pile of dirt there. Maybe a yard?? The 9W must have been working perfect. That looks like sand. If so did you have any problems with the sand binding the moving parts on the bucket?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Looks like a great day steve! That's a big pile of dirt there. Maybe a yard?? The 9W must have been working perfect. That looks like sand. If so did you have any problems with the sand binding the moving parts on the bucket?
The soil is sandy and packs when wet but not like the river sand pile from two weeks ago. Good thing the soil is sandy because over the years we get rain at the show but it dries quickly thank God.
There were no problems with anything binding up on the bucket. It digs nice but I still want to make the bucket as close to the 1:1 as humanly possible. We still need to learn a good digging pattern so we aren't sliding sideways as seen in the video a time or two.
I hope one of you guys bring a dozer some day to clean the roll in front of the fairlead such as a certain Terex or D8
Old 05-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Craftsman

Thanks steve-the reason I ask these questions are based on the troubles I have had with my dragline. Sometimes the fine dirt gets in the trunions and the bucket will not dump. I have to take it apart and clean it. It's not a big job but I know the real draglines don't have this problem. I must have done something wrong but not sure what.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I haven't done anything on the 9W for a while but one thing I need to do before taking it out in two weeks is, I need to machine 6 cleats that go on the bottom of the shoes. I scanned a drawing and they can be seen in black on the drawings. These little Vee's will enable the machine to walk better with some traction. What happens now is, it will either just slip or pivot around the other one getting a little more traction. This is very frustrating when on any kind of incline especially. Just ask Scot and Ed.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here is my progress on the walking shoe cleats. I think now we'll be able to walk up a 10% grade. Definitely on level ground too. I should add about 15-20lbs ballast in the rear of the revolving frame to compensate for the boom now installed because the edge of the tub is somewhat heavy and not sliding along easily while walking.

Roughed in pieces:

Cutting a 45deg. bevel:

Beveling the ends:

Attached with #1-72 screws:

Ready to walk again:
Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Good job Steve. That will make loading a lot easier too.

"No load is too Small"
Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

nice work Steve I need 1 of those tables now how to ask mrs IH for it I'm gathering more stuff for the 40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Looks like it should do the trick for you. I want the full size equipment besides the adjustable table What I wouldn't give to have room for full sized machinery
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
Good job Steve. That will make loading a lot easier too.
I can't wait to try next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
nice work Steve I need 1 of those tables now how to ask mrs IH for it I'm gathering more stuff for the 40
I think I paid around $40 for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
Looks like it should do the trick for you. I want the full size equipment besides the adjustable table What I wouldn't give to have room for full sized machinery
May need to find a way to add on.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

awsome work Hopefully sometime i can see this thing in person lol
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by td9clyde View Post
awsome work Hopefully sometime i can see this thing in person lol
Just get on I70 east and come down to Brownsville,PA on the 12th. Don't forget to bring your dozers.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Getting ready for this weekend for another "BIG DIG" I finally took the time to build a suitable shipping box for my machine. It measures 174''x40''w x 48''h. Now I'll be able to haul it on my gooseneck trailer with some other stuff.

I want to put some eyebolts on the sides to hook a bungee cord to give the boom a cradle for a cushion ride.

Another quick fix was to break some welds on the bucket so I could bend the teeth down a few degrees to give it a better bite. This is still going to be a temporary bucket till I can fabricate a better replica.
A quick set up in my press brake did the trick:

Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Nice box, guess it can be used shipping the machine abroad

Temporary bucket, hmm, guess I would be more than happy with a final bucket like that one!

Couldn´t make it to Brownsville next weekend hope to do it next year, this is a very fine show, I would say the best one.

Dan
Old 08-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Nice box, guess it can be used shipping the machine abroad

Temporary bucket, hmm, guess I would be more than happy with a final bucket like that one!

Couldn´t make it to Brownsville next weekend hope to do it next year, this is a very fine show, I would say the best one.

Dan
I guess I would have to make the box much heavier. But you know, you could ship the D8 over in a much smaller box so we can test it for reliability in the dirt! You could even fly over next spring and I would let you try your dozer too.
I talked to Smallhaul earlier this evening and he was already at Brownsville. I was still loading my trailer so I can leave home tomorrow early. From his report the Thew steam shovel has to be moved out of the shed so we can get our pile of dirt under roof in case it rains this weekend.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Hey Steve, we'll see you out there. I'm taking the fifth wheel and we'll be camping there all weekend

Brian
Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Craftsman

Nice work steve-you should think about becoming a machinist !! That should give you good traction now. The show sounds like fun! I hope you have someone to take lots of pictures and videos!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Nice work steve-you should think about becoming a machinist !! That should give you good traction now. The show sounds like fun! I hope you have someone to take lots of pictures and videos!
X2 since I can't be there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Adding some pictures of my machine to this thread I have elsewhere on the forum.
Aerial view from the D9G

I clamped my camera on where the operator's cab will be to get an operators perspective.

I need to cut the excess links off the drag chains now that I have tried digging with them shorter than I originally had. I think now they are closer to the proper length per scale. I can also dig about 3'' closer to the fairlead now.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Green Horn

Car5858 will become famous soon enoughCar5858 will become famous soon enough

Like the operators perspective.

Thanks for posting them Steve.