RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default 1:50 Dragline

Just a quick video of my new dragline. It is a 1:50 Menck M251 that will likely spend most of its time about where the video was shot. I think I will put a sand pile behind the wall and use the crane to load barges.

Has anyone got any tips motorizing something this small? Does NOT need to be RC, and if it works out the motors could be remoted using a cable drive of some sort.

http://youtu.be/uGDkN3aCH8Q

Worst case scenario, it is going to look good just sitting there as a barge pulls up to the wall!

HEEYYY, it is supposed to get near 60 degrees F today and getting better! YYYAYAAAAAA!

Jim

Jim
Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:50 Dragline

Hi, Jim,

You could modificate servos for continuous rotation and that gives you a speed control and gearmotor in one compact package that can be plugged directly into the receiver. Or mount your winches underneath a platform that the machine sits on and run the cables up through the center of the swing circle. Just have to remember not to swing too much and get them twisted up. The hard part in either case might be the swing.

I think your pond is pretty neat, especially the locks! I'd like to do that same sort of thing someday but the problem is it would be full of ducks, nutria, muskrats and labrador retrievers. Sounds like your tug has Jimmies in it.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

360 degree robotics servos, receiver, 4AA battery pack in there somewhere.
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Craftsman

I finally around to rigging the crane yesterday. Took the cab off so I could easily get to the three winding drums. Could not tell exactly how the brake on each drum worked but they work good enough to make me think they would need to be disabled and the servos would need to provide that function. Also, there is not a lot of room in there.

Jim
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Wannabe

Seilbagger is on a distinguished road

Hi Jim,

welcome to the Menck community.

To move the drums, i think the construction of SmallHauls unit cable crane will be a very good possibility for this scale.

Best Regards
Wolfgang

Wolfgang

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Seilbagger; 04-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Craftsman

Default Crane Barge and Hopper Barge

Finally got a bit more done on the hopper barge and the crane is sitting on two flat tops all tied to the sea wall. I have some video of the tow moving the crane, but can't get it from my SD camera card onto the iPad for upload.

http://youtu.be/hH-ftQtlKSU

Jim
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road

Wow, just finished watching your videos. I love your pond setup and the lock is so cool. I cant wait to see it when your out there dredging gravel from the bottom and stockpiling it in the barge. Again I am very impressed, thanks for sharing.

Also sorry I dont have anything to add to the purpose of your thread, the conversion of the crane, but there are a number of 1/50 crane conversions that can be found on the internet, especially in some of the german forums. I use google chrome to browse them, it does a decent job of translating.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Craftsman

Cool Re: 1:50 Dragline

More Progress...

I went to the hobby shop and bought two mini servos and successfully modified one to turn continuously! Ya, I was afraid I would end up with a inert hunk of plastic.

I cobbled up a piece of brass square stock and a wheel collar and got it to turn the hoist drum at a very pleasing speed going direct drive from the servo to the shaft of the drum! So, tomorrow I'm going to see if there is actually going to be room for two or maybe three servos and a battery and RX inside the cab.

I have also been playing with the idea of running a pulley system instead of direct drive. Got to think on both options and see how it goes...

Should be cool if this comes together

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Craftsman

Default Diecast Conversion

Not sure why I didn't put this thread into the diecast conversion section?

If someone can/wants to move it I guess that would be appropriate, it is definately turning into a conversion!

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Craftsman

Default Re: 1:50 Dragline conversion FIRST TEST VIDEO

I cant believe how good this has turned out! I am going to have just enough room inside the cab for the batt, RX and ESC.

I really have got to figure out how to slew it! Stay tuned!

http://youtu.be/d69MPI4AerM

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Craftsman

Default More video

Here is a bit more video! Sort of comical at the end, "how the heck do ya run the goofy thing again?"

http://youtu.be/mX2XQnqcviw

What FUN!

Ya think I will ever stop playing with it long enough to finish the conversion?

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 05-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Rvjimd-I really admire you for taking on a project this small. Having built a few complicated models that were medium in size but they were giants compared to this one. I have really bad eyesight and I promised myself that I would never take on another "small" build. Just a suggestion for the slewing gear. You need a large gear under the base of the model and I think a servo like you are using will work to turn it but it needs to be slow if possible. They make plastic gears for helicopters I think in the 3"-5" range and that could possibly work. Most draglines and big shovels use a gear almost as big as the house. They also make matching pinion gears that you probably could adapt to your servo. Keep at it and post lots of pictures and good luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Craftsman

Model man,

Thanks for the comment. I'm with you on the eyesight! Here is a shot of the bench with a lighted mag viewer! I have three of those suckers at each one of me hobby/shop areas!

In the other pic you can se e the cast slew ring. I'm going to try exactly what you suggest, using a rubber wheel on a servo to drive up against the ring. Hard part will be finding space in the cab for the servo, in the right spot!

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Craftsman

Default Pic from today's conversion progress

Here are the pictures of today's progress. Disassembly and took the hoist and drag drums out of the carrier bracket. Drilled thru the hubs and screwed thru and into the servo.

Gonna have to edit this after I get the pics moved... Stand by...
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Craftsman

Default Re: 1:50 Dragline build pics

Okay, here are the pics...

Had to notch the drum frame to allow inserting the drums back into the frame after screwing the servo to the drums.

The shaft with the small pinion gear is to become the drive gear running against the ring gear.

I'm loving this, hope you guys enjoy it half as much as I am.

I hope to have it back together and running three channels by tomorrow afternoon!

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 05-01-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Some pics dirt make it...
Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd-you are making good progress. Wow-this thing is tiny! The pic of the magnified light gives a great size comparison. I could not see which servo you are using but I think mini-servos would fit inside the house but I don't know if they are strong enough to hoist and drag.Could you please post a close up picture of the tracks and drive sprocket. This looks like a well built model so would you mind saying where you got it.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Craftsman

MM, the model is made by NZG, a German company. They are one of the big diecast makers. I got it locally at a dealer that carries mostly ag farm equipment. Ther drive and pads are cast and steel parts. I have actually been thinking about driving the tracks parallel off of the single axel.

Jim
Old 05-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Craftsman

Default Quick Update and slew ring question?

First, thanks for all the comments and help!

I got the third channel working today! I think I may have had something pressing on the servo when I put the cab back on, because the pinion gear did not line up as good as it had when I originally fit it.

And, it is colder that CRAP here in iowa today and SNOWING! We are setting records for late year snow accumulation, man I am sick of winter! So, I did not take any video on the loading wall.. And, my brief testing with the pinion not lined up quite right caused a bit of binding and the shaft unscrewed from the servo. I'll be taking it apart to fix that so, if you are still reading....

Is it more common to use a big long chain around the slew ring gear and drive the chain with a pinion, or like my initial attempt of driving the ring gear directly with the pinion?

If I can figure out how to keep an o-ring on the slew chain ring it seems like that might work better? I have a perfect pinion pulley that would work good on the servo, front wheel from a slot car is actually an o ring tire on the rim with a set screw for the shaft! I would just need to fit or modify the ring gear with a grooved slot or ring.

Jim
Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 PM

MattDk is on a distinguished road

Hi

I'm new here, and the list of things that I want to make just got one item longer.

With regards to the servos Modelman might be right that you might find a servo that is smaller, that would not stick out, but I got another idea that might solve the problem, let me see if I can describe it in text.

If you took the servos and moved them to the back og the plastic that holds the "wire" and lay them down on top of each other, (if there is room) then they can stick out on each side, and you could make a pulley that goes from the servo to each cable drum. Te system could be made of string, and a positive side effect would be, that when you reach the very end, the string would just slip on the pulley setup, not damaging your servo.

Might workimage.jpg

Good luck with your build, looking forward to see the end result

Mario
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd-The standard way is to let the pinion gear run against the swing gear. However I understand you have to do what you can with the room you have. On the pictures you posted,I cannot see what is what.(eyes) Are the servos in the model mini servos? Also I cannot see the detail of the drive sprocket but that is okay. Just keep doing what you are doing and I think you will have an operating model soon.