RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Apprentice

cabs is on a distinguished road
Default axial scx10

Im thinking of getting a crawler. Anyone ever ran these, what do you think.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: axial scx10

I've built and ran a few of them and they are a fun rig, depending on the model you get they do decent out of the box but could use a few small upgrades to take a bashing. I'm assuming your going to but a kit and not a RTR? If you do get the RTR immediately upgrade the servo bushing to a bearing to extend its life, I've seen many die after the first time out.

I'd recommend getting yourself the axial aluminum link set or build your own, the stock plastic ones are pretty flimsy. They will work to get going but allow a lot of slop in the suspension. I'd also recommend upgrading the trans gears to metal ones if you plan on running any decent power through it. Axial has a set for 40ish bucks that replaces them all.

-Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Apprentice

Thanks man, I had a stampede and summit but neither were good for rocks. Hopefully I'll find a good used kit. Thanks for the info
Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Journeyman

No prob, there's always good finds on CL or evil bay. Right now I believe tower has a decent sale going on for the rubi kit and I think *** has the same kit on sale and they come with a free winch and lift kit.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me I'll help you out as best I can. I'd hook you up on one but just sold mine about 2 weeks ago......

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Apprentice

Thanks, I'll probably have to look you up soon. They look like a fun truck. We have losi sct for racing but want a truck other then traxxas for now
Old 03-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Apprentice

What do you like better the wraith or scx10
Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Journeyman

It really depends on what you want to do, I personally don't own a wraith but have driven a few and they are really fun but much more a "basher/racer" type rig than trail/crawler. It will trail ride/crawl with some throttle control but seems to be more suited for speed than slower driving. The scx has proven itself over and over as a crawler and trail rig, plus it has more aftermarket parts support as well tons of small guys who make great products for it.

The wraith has a cult like following for converting it to front Indy suspension to make it more like a rock buggy calling it the "wrexo" because you use the front end from the axial exo terra to do it. These are pretty sweet especially if you like the buggy or southern crawler look.

--Dan

Old 03-03-2014, 01:40 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I run an Axial SCX-10 Jeep also. I bought the kit version, built it myself, added a couple custom touches of my own, as well as the basic upgrades. It's a lot of fun drive around the yard, in the woods, on some smaller rock piles, and on the trails. If you're looking for a nice scale 4x4 to do a little of everything, definitely get one, but if you're looking specifically for a hard core rock crawler, I'd suggest you take a look at something else, in the 2.2 sized tire class, or larger. Personally, the scale 4x4 trucks are a lot of fun, and sometimes they are more rewarding to drive. The models with larger tires sometimes make things too easy, if you know what I mean.

The SCX-10 is a popular platform and there is a huge aftermarket of parts available for it. It doesn't need a lot to be a good solid platform. My only suggestions for upgrades are the machined steel gears for the transmission and differentials. I'd also suggest looking at getting some better shocks. The stockers are horrible leakers. Other than that, I have no complaints with mine. I run a 35 turn hand wound motor on a 3S pack, with stock gearing, and it's a blast!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:36 AM
Apprentice

Very nice
Old 03-03-2014, 04:30 PM

RCLaser is on a distinguished road

hey,, got the same bug awhile back and picked up an Axial G6 kit --- built it and so far so fun!!

Then decided it needs a garage

Crawler

nice lights Espeefan

Regards,
Jeff
Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Apprentice

very cool guys