RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 01-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

I'm so jealous! There was a used(but nearly brand new) Tormach CNC mill for sale locally about a year ago. The guy had receipts for over $20K worth of goodies and wanted $12500CAD for it. It all looked brand new. Someone told me I should go and buy it but as per usual I didn't have the cash so I didn't. It sold within 2 weeks of being posted. I still don't have the funds but I've kicked my *** for not "finding the money" ever since. You already have some design experience so I'm sure you'll be fine. Part of my hesitation was that I have none at all and would have to start from scratch with the expense hanging over my head. Now being on the wrong side of the fence, I could be out of business very soon anyway thanks to Trump Doggy so then the mill would only be a toy. Everyone knows I just hate having toys.....
Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

You talked about it all weekend and now you "gone and dun it"! Good luck. Of course, when you get fancy tools the expectations go up. After seeing the 785 in person, I'm not sure how much "up" is left!

Ken
Old 01-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Is it too soon to setup a shop tour schedule and signup sheet?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Reg, I've been looking for a while and never find any deals like that!! Was going to source parts and try to do a conversion but the lack of my knowledge and limited learning capacity got the better part. Figure if I have to learn how to operate it with the cad and cam software it doesn't leave much room in my head for figuering out how to build one!!

Had a great time talking with you ken!! Wish we talked a little more, always have my head in a swivel at the shows!! Lots going on!! At least this time I remembered to eat, at least Friday and Saturday

Any time you are over my neighborhood Jim just let me know and I'll cut the grass in the field!! Perfect landing strip, well couple groundhog communities might pose a problem!! But if you are ever over here and have the time/room I would love to ride along!! Just something about flying that I enjoy!! I thought you flew in commercial to the area, I didn't realize that you actually flew yourself , damm cool!!!!!

Anytime anyone is around here just get ahold of me , welcome to stop by!! I'll let the little dogs out and keep the big guy in fence, when I can put my whole head inside his mouth he gets a little more respect!! And he is super protective of my wife, not a bad thing, never worry about her when she is walking two 160-180 pound doggies!!

Haha, bigger expectations?,, naaa. I'll just be able to make a better square block and cost a lot more to do!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Had such a good time at the show the boss at Great Dane construction company decided we need to expand the fleet!! In process of making three new sissor neck trailers. Good project for the new metal cutter coming. And also get to tig some steel!! Have been looking forward to working on some steel with the tig torch after all that alum!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:53 PM
Apprentice

trucker n is on a distinguished road

any chance u going to sell these trailers
Old 01-20-2017, 09:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I had a look back through some stuff and it was $12400USD OBO he wanted for it all. He had the 4th axis and a lot of tooling. Probably would have served me well now but hindsight is.... Anyway, Looks like you have some projects going. I've had a number of people ask me about building that sort of thing lately. I have said no every time because I don't have the tooling or the time to start from scratch on that. Should I point them in your direction???? I would be happy to do so. Get ready for the tire kicking to begin!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker n View Post
hey thanks for your interest, ill send you a message
Old 01-20-2017, 10:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
I had a look back through some stuff and it was $12400USD OBO he wanted for it all. He had the 4th axis and a lot of tooling. Probably would have served me well now but hindsight is.... Anyway, Looks like you have some projects going. I've had a number of people ask me about building that sort of thing lately. I have said no every time because I don't have the tooling or the time to start from scratch on that. Should I point them in your direction???? I would be happy to do so. Get ready for the tire kicking to begin!
with all that, that would have been a good deal!! door is always open for tire kicking!!! just not sure how much air is in um!!! lol!! ill have to shoot you an email, haven't busted you nutt eater in a while!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
with all that, that would have been a good deal!! door is always open for tire kicking!!! just not sure how much air is in um!!! lol!! ill have to shoot you an email, haven't busted you nutt eater in a while!!!
Ha! Be careful what you wish for.lol Lots of people on Facebook that will kick and deflate your tires. Very few will inflate your bank account. The forum here has been much more productive for me. Not everyone buys but the ratio of serious modellers to looky loos here is great. Almost everyone here that has contacted me about a project has eventually had me do a build even if it wasn't what we originally talked about. This is a great spot to get the ball rolling! I wish you luck and I'll be waiting for the ball busting email...
Old 01-20-2017, 11:10 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the dark side ..lol ..Once you get the hang of it you will be thinking why didnt i start this a long time ago ..Cant wait to see what comes out of the shop a year from now ..What software do you plan on using ..Myself I am using Bobcad . .not that impressed and they bug the crap out of you to upgrade ..hobby use was around $600 if i remember correctly .One good thing that I like is to simulate the tool path before I start the program ..good habit to get into and start with slow feed speeds so you can stop if need be .If you can get your hands on solidworks go for it ..There is a bit of free stuff available like fusion 360..i have been dabbling in it for my 3D printer ..Congrats buddy and if you have any questions feel free to ask ..I am no expert tho lol .. good luck RW
Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker n View Post
http://youtu.be/oTcXiPWJxP4

This is the only video I have of that trailer working.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksntreadslou View Post
Welcome to the dark side ..lol ..Once you get the hang of it you will be thinking why didnt i start this a long time ago ..Cant wait to see what comes out of the shop a year from now ..What software do you plan on using ..Myself I am using Bobcad . .not that impressed and they bug the crap out of you to upgrade ..hobby use was around $600 if i remember correctly .One good thing that I like is to simulate the tool path before I start the program ..good habit to get into and start with slow feed speeds so you can stop if need be .If you can get your hands on solidworks go for it ..There is a bit of free stuff available like fusion 360..i have been dabbling in it for my 3D printer ..Congrats buddy and if you have any questions feel free to ask ..I am no expert tho lol .. good luck RW
I've been using fusion 360 for making parts to 3d print. Far from efficient at it, but slowly getting down the learning part of designing the part. I've messed around with setting up parts for milling in the cam part of it. That's where I need to do a lot of learning. I may even take a couple day class. If closer to home I already would have but closest classes are 3 hour drive. Anything local is basically enrollment for a semester. And if I compare that time to me playing with it I'll probably figure it out befor class would be over. And only thing I hate about taking classes is they are usually targeted to a broad understanding and not as point specific as my learning needs to be. Nice thing about learning stuff in the computer world is you can always hit undo/delete!! And yes I do believe the simulate tool path is something I will always watch and detail.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:51 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Don't feel bad Reg, I bought multiple mills, shaper, lathe, and a tig welder last year.
No power in the garage yet! Must have patience!
Cheers!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:09 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to see what you'll be making with your new tools. As for software, you should also check out Vectric. Vectric Aspire should meet your needs.

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got a new toy for the shop,,

A spot welder!! I don't know how I didn't get one of these before!! 22g steel and I can't rip them apart the metal will rip before weld lets loose.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:11 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

What make of spot welder is that?

Joe
Old 01-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Green Horn

Hofabooz is on a distinguished road

Hi Cooper

Please show us a pic of the welder the out put looks great.

Mark

Over the Pond in the UK

Member of Ribble Valley Radio Controlled Truck Club

my weather station
Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The spot welder was from harbor freight. I got the 110 version but the 220v version was same price. Figure for what I'm using it's simple to just plug in wall outlet. The 110v states 1/8" capacity for welding and the 220 was 3/16 or something. 50% duty cycle. But the spots take about half second or less so more time positioning than welding. I know a guy that made one from a microwave transformer pretty simple but I would rather trust something factory made even from harborfright tools!! Works better than I thought! I can't pull, pry, or twist welds apart before the parent material would deform or rip. For my uses I don't mind getting the cheeper stuff for light or occasional use. Time will tell
Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Great Dane excavating co.

I envy your shop you have quite the collection of tools Spot welder definitely could come in handy to have. Going to keep up with your lowboy trailer build I like the og one