RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Green Horn

Thorsteenster is on a distinguished road
Default Radios, stick or pistol, building a cheap 6ch 2.4ghz pistol

I'm guessing most of you use stick radios, but if you like pistol grip radios, I found this thread on RCC, and as well similar threads and on other forums. It's basically retrofitting 6ch stick guts into a pistol grip case, and as well adding a few bells and whistles and as well being 2.4ghz.
Thought some of you might find it interesting or worth a try.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263939
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Radios, stick or pistol, building a cheap 6ch 2.4ghz pistol

Slick! It's pretty involved but basic soldering and electrical knowledge. I read some other threads referenced in there as well. Stuffing a dx6i into a pistol grip! Wow. I like stick radios since all my first radios were of this variety. First pistol grip I learned to drive wrong with squeezing the trigger for brake so I cannot drive a model if it isn't reversed. Was great on my forward only RC10
Old 08-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Blueshirt is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda partail to the stick radio for semis, but a pistol is great for something that goes fast.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Green Horn

Yeah, I'm kinda partial to stick radios as well, that's what I started with back in the 80's. My first wheel radio was an old Futaba box radio with a wheel on it.

The coolest thing with the above link, isn't so much being a pistol grip, but some of the customizations they are doing with the channels as far as mixing and switchs etc.
The link to the RCG thread, on one of the 250 pages is a link to software that looks to give programmability over mixing any of the channels.
So really with reading thorugh those, you could modify it and leave it in the stick case.
I've also thought for $50 you could bash two together for a 12 channel radio, 8 proportional channels and 4 on/off/multi position.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
The link to the RCG thread, on one of the 250 pages is a link to software that looks to give programmability over mixing any of the channels.
So really with reading thorugh those, you could modify it and leave it in the stick case.
I've also thought for $50 you could bash two together for a 12 channel radio, 8 proportional channels and 4 on/off/multi position.
I think the price is right for bashing two together into one case but I can't see modifying the boards for 12channel reception. Those hobby kings are darn cheap.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Green Horn

Lol, yeah that's what I meant, still two seperate radio systems but one case for the controllers.

You could make a mini dash layout, have a steering wheel, shift lever, some toggles and knobs, build in an MP3 player too. Probably use some thin MDF and some sheet metal on the back to cover it.
Would make a cool controller for trucks and beat carrying two radios, and with a neck strap you could have both hands free to operate.

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 08-29-2010 at 09:18 PM.