RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default for the radio wizards

Finally got some pics so I can start to build my rotator wrecker (in my free time ) building it no prob just take some time for all the detail . mechanical/electrical no prob. now here is the run down for channels
truck drive and under lift function 6 channels
1 fwd/rev
2 steer
3 shift
4 under lift flip down
5 under lift extend
6 under lift up down
rotator function 10 channels
out riggers
1 extend
2 down
boom
3 up/down
4 swing
5 boom in/out
6/7 boom winches
8-10 bed winches maybe (would like too)

now I know there is away to add channels . who,where ,do i get the parts ? and is it legal to do this my self ? I was thinking of getting a airtronics sd-10 If there is a better alternative ,I'm all ears (well eyes )

thanks for any input
IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road
Default Re: for the radio wizards

I don't know if a channel expander can get you the functions you want. They are on/off or (on)/off. I know there is a switcher that can switch 6 or 8 channels between functions in a model. Like from drive to the rotator. You just have to leave a channel to do the switching. Lil' Giants Joe I am pretty sure has posted links to it before but I don't remember who made it. Easiest would be to just run 2 radios. Might be cheaper too since alot of the fancy radios that have switch decoders cost $$
Old 08-27-2010, 07:23 PM

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

THanks Matt I was hoping to switch from 1 function to the other I know Joe (lil giant ) had the link on gt like a dummy I did not bookmark it . Maybe he'll chime in on it .

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Green Horn

Thorsteenster is on a distinguished road

I bought a, I guess it's a switch decoder, off a guy in Canada. It uses one proportional channel but gives me 8 on/off's and works on Spektrum radios. Paid like $80 or $90 for it.
I'm going to be picking up one of those cheap Chinese 2.4ghz radios, I've found a few threads on them and they seem to have a pretty good following and work well. But you could get 2 for $50 and have 8 proportional channels and 4 aux channels. Plus you can program mixing on your computer via software.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Rx_V2_(Mode_2)
Old 09-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

I think this is the device SonoranWraith was talking about. There might be others out there. I found this on the Leimbach site.

http://translate.google.com/translat...tbaustein.html

Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
I think this is the device SonoranWraith was talking about. There might be others out there. I found this on the Leimbach site.

http://translate.google.com/translat...tbaustein.html

Hope this helps.
thats the 1 Thank you ,Brian . I've been talking to Travis and I think I got it pretty much figured out We'll just have to wait and see .

IHSteve

Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Green Horn

The one I got was from Model Control Devices. His site is down now, and about the time I bought mine there was a thread on RCgroups about how poor his service was getting.
Mine's a 16 function on/off control and works on Spektrums. It takes up one propo channel, and can turn motors on/off up to a certain amperage.
Haven't tried it out yet as the project I bought it for got put off, but I'm thinking I ought to now to see if I got jipped lol.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

There used to be a device called Switch 8. It was a similar channel expanding set-up. Ric at PMD used to sell them. He may still. I haven't heard anything about them since a couple guys planned to use them on their radios, back on the old gt forum. Some sort of digital decoder, I think, that used one radio channel to give you 8 more functions. Not really sure how well they work.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
There used to be a device called Switch 8. It was a similar channel expanding set-up. Ric at PMD used to sell them. He may still. I haven't heard anything about them since a couple guys planned to use them on their radios, back on the old gt forum. Some sort of digital decoder, I think, that used one radio channel to give you 8 more functions. Not really sure how well they work.
That's what I got, MCD made them and as well in a 16 function flavor. Thought I had the 16 but just the 8. It has a linear push button panel that mounts on the TX and a module that mounts in the vehicle. I'll get some pics up, but it doesn't look anywhere near as compact as the unti above. The Switch though was made for model boaters where a scale boat that calls for something as this would be 2' and up, so size wasn't really a concern.

Just found a pic.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Green Horn

Okay, here's a pic of mine so you can get an idea of size. You can control motors with it as I said, and you can also set each funtion to be on/off or momentary with the bank of micro-rocker switches in the upper left hand corner.

I think he's gone out of business tho, his site is not up, but seems a few online sellers may have them, although may be for Xtal radios only. My Spektrum system I got direct from him and it wasn't listed on his site. He told me he had Spektrum models when I contacted him to ask if they worked with Spektrum radios. Convenient huh?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Okay, so they are one of the same device! Makes sense.

Has anyone ever considered wiring two radio receivers to a toggle switch, so that you can select control of one or the other? Say one receiver to run the servos or drives for the rotator, and then the other to drive the truck? Seems like it would simple enough to do. The only possible hang up I see would be the radio programming and the trims of the channels being off.

Last edited by Espeefan; 09-06-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Green Horn

Look at post number 4
Hobby King has 6 channel radios for $24 bucks, you could easily get two of them. Somewhere else I posted two you could make a new "case" for them and like a mini truck dash or something with a wheel, shifter etc. Probably need a neck strap, but a little work could make a rightous truck controller.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I run my stick radios using a neck strap anyway. I pinch the sticks with my thumb and index finger. Something I learned to do when I started flying helis. You get a lot finer control.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Green Horn

Huh, interesting. Only stick radio I've really ever used was a 2 channel for RC cars and just used my thumbs. First 4channel/more than 2 channel radio was a Nomadio Sensor which I still have and love, programmability is awesome. I have a DX6 but yet to use it, guy was selling it on Scale4X4 and just one of those too good a deal kinda things.

I'm getting kinda keen on the dashboard controller, I came up with it on another post. I may have to give it a try, seems it would be pretty cool with a wheel and shifter instead of just sticks and switches. The shift gate really doesn't make it feel like a shifter......
lol
Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

When I was talking about switch decoders, I was talking about radio modules that radio manufacturers make but are add ons depending on what you want to control. Switches, motor control, proportional, etc. Most people are probably familiar with this in the Futuaba/Robbe F-14 that you can still get from some RC boat sites. Robbe radios not sold here still have this as well the very popular in Germany, Brixl. If you have seen the leiberrmodelle site and look that is one of their radio options.

Problem is once you spend so much on a radio, you want to use for al your models, but then you only have 1 Tx. That is why the cheapo Hobby Kings are nice if the functions for the radio suit your build.