RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Announcement:Safety Tip for Lathes and Mills!!

Please everybody take the time to review some safety tips while operating any rotating machinery. Like Lathes, Milling Machines , Drill presses, etc.

Today, I had a huge shock from my younger son from his work.
One of his co-workers was operating a decent sized horizontal boring mill with a 2'' dia. endmill and got his shirt caught in it tearing his forearm off!!!
My kid is very shook up seeing this. I have always preached safety to my boys and others as I have made some stupid mistakes but fortunate enough not to be as severe as this incident.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Apprentice

cabs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Announcement:Safety Tip for Lathes and Mills!!

Man, sorry to here
Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

That's horrible....hope he is ok....
Old 03-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Terrible to hear. Lathes can be so dangerous and so quickly. Something your son will never forget no doubt. We hear many horror stories about accidents in the workplace but when seen first hand it can really be tough.

Mario
Old 03-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Announcement:Safety Tip for Lathes and Mills!!

I'd like to say that I'm sorry that your son witnessed this tragedy, but it might just save his life some day. So many people go through life with the day-to-day assumption that it will never be them, that they don't ever stop to think about the consequences of their own actions (or worse, their inactions) for almost every situation they encounter. I've had friends get shot, run off the road, and (believe it or not) buried alive because they weren't paying attention to what they were doing or were just in a hurry and didn't consider what could happen if an unforeseen incident were to occur.

May God be with the man who was injured. This is just a terrible accident.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 03-12-2014, 02:31 AM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

I will second RCT, I operate and work around machines on a daily basis and while I never forget what they can do to me I have become complacent from time to time due to the safety features my CNC machines have and this is NOT ok. I can be killed in a split second if one of the lathes looses clamp pressure, or if I don't program correctly and it shoots a blank out, I can get wrapped up in the spindle just as easily if I get to close and these things everyone needs to think about.

Now when it comes to Operating "ole bessy" my WWII south bend lathe, even though it has become second nature I don't get lax or loose focus because if I slip up or don't mind my P's and Q's it could and will easily rip me to shreds in a second and this is something I don't forget!!!! Most likely because it's an open machine not a cnc so it's all staring me right in the the face and with a 12" chuck screaming away its hard to not think about it.......

While not a piece of machining equipment, an auto repair shop that is very close to me had a horrible accident about 2 weeks ago. There lead mechanic was crushed under a lift when a truck came down on him killing him instantly. He had bypassed the safety lock of the lift (every mechanic has done it) and a hydraulic line blew out with it fully lifted and a plow truck on it. Let's just say it was not a pretty sight as they finally got the lift back up off the ground.

Moral of the story's is don't get lazy, don't disable safety features and always know the limits of the machines and your ability to operate them !!!,

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scalelover; 03-12-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Green Horn

carp is on a distinguished road

Lent over the back end of a tractor once when the pto was running, caught my baggy trousers in it ripped them half off then pulled me in luckily the pto lever was close enough for me to knock off but still if it hadnt been id probably have no legs, my car keys were in my trouser pocket and the ignition key was bent double, you dont realise the power these things have until it happens to you or you see it happen yourself.