RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Snowman3725

Default DX 18 set up queation

Hi guys, I have a question about setting up a spektrum DX 18 with a wedico 345. The current dual motor controller is operated using the throttle and steering channels. The sliders won't work so I was wondering if the transmitter could be programmed to where the throttle and steering (left stick) could operate both excavator controls and tracks by flipping an unused switch?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DX 18 set up queation

why wont the sliders work?? thats how it is on my kat with the dx9
left stick boom up/down left/right cab rotate. right stick up/down dipper
left/right bucket curl. right knob pump throttle . back sliders the tracks
Old 02-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Snowman3725

I believe it's the way the dual motor controller is set up. When connected, the sliders work, but not independently. Left slider all the way down is neutral, and it moves forward at mid point and up, no reverse. Right slider mid point steers left, and all the way up steers right. Makes no sense to me, other than its set up to be used on stick not a slider
Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 AM
Green Horn

rc13 is on a distinguished road

Hi, That sabertooth will not work properly using the sliders. If you were using it for one of the sticks it would work great. The easiest and most common thing to do is to just use sep. speed controls for the tracks, and then assign each slider for each track. Done....
And then if you want to assign a switch so you can then use a stick to drive/crawl with more control/accuracy then set up your radio like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09fe49ply7o.
That is a great example of what I was talking about on that other thread the other day. Including how to mix the tracks to perform just like your sabertooth would, withouth having a sabertooth. That video is using a dx10 but the programming and system is identical to the dx18. The radios only look different. I have both and they are amazing... Anyway, if you still wanted to use the sabertooth, then I think assigning a switch for another flight mode then using one of the sticks to drive is your only option. & if you did that, then you would not need to perform all of the mixes shown in the video. But like I suggested, 2 sep speed controls for each track and boom! Your set!
I prefer to use the sliders when I drive/crawl any of my excavators. The main reason is because I sometimes operate the swing, boom, arm, and bucket when I am moving to get it in a better position to accommodate my driving. And it looks pretty cool when I do that too.. LOL
Old 02-29-2016, 12:35 AM
Snowman3725

Eddie, why exactly won't the saber tooth work? It is my understanding that it can be programmed to run each track motor individually. One servo lead for left track and the other for right track?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:55 AM
Green Horn

rc13 is on a distinguished road

I assumed the Sabertooth was only for this example of usage only: Usually installed on a tracked machine to control the right and left tracks forward, backward, left turn, and right turn movements using one stick on a radio.
That is how I used them for the tracks on my snow groomers and another tracked machine that I sold a while back.
If you are using it another way, I did not know there were other options with the Sabertooth.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman3725 View Post
Eddie, why exactly won't the saber tooth work? It is my understanding that it can be programmed to run each track motor individually. One servo lead for left track and the other for right track?
Old 02-29-2016, 01:26 AM
Snowman3725

No sir, I believe this type is called mixed tracking hence having to set mixes in the radio. Individual mode should be the same as using 2 esc's (I hope) thanks for the link to that video too, it helped immensely.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:29 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I use the Sabertooth 2x25 in my JD850 & the 2x12 in my old Stahl 922, both models are on the DX18 & both have their DIP 1 set to mix.

On the DX18, Aux 4 is left slider, Aux 5 is right slider.

The dual esc does behave differently on the sliders vs a stick, the "sub trim" in radio settings is neutral or center point & the numbers are excessive one way or the other to find neutral for both steering & for/rev motion.

The dead band on neutral is very small for both steering & for/rev, just one click from center on the indent of the slider to make the tracks stop moving. I've fussed with DIP 5 & DIP 6 switches to try to calibrate & hold, but it seems to change every time I turn on the model. I believe I have both DIP 5 & DIP 6 switches up so the Sabertooth initially recalibrates itself every time I turn on the model.

I use left slider (Aux 4) for steering & right slider (Aux 5) for for/rev.

My memory doesn't serve me quite as precisely anymore, you'll need to look at Sabertooth manual, it's DIP 1 is the motor controller mix, but I don't recall if UP is on or off. And I find that DIP 4 acceleration ramping on works with better results than off.

My JD450 has brushless motors to propel the tracks, so it has individual esc's, & trying to mix the sliders so I can drive it like a Sabertooth... I couldn't get it to work properly, so I operate one track on each slider... I would prefer the mix control, but it is what it is with this model.

Joe
Old 02-29-2016, 03:50 AM
Snowman3725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
I use the Sabertooth 2x25 in my JD850 & the 2x12 in my old Stahl 922, both models are on the DX18 & both have their DIP 1 set to mix.

On the DX18, Aux 4 is left slider, Aux 5 is right slider.

The dual esc does behave differently on the sliders vs a stick, the "sub trim" in radio settings is neutral or center point & the numbers are excessive one way or the other to find neutral for both steering & for/rev motion.

The dead band on neutral is very small for both steering & for/rev, just one click from center on the indent of the slider to make the tracks stop moving. I've fussed with DIP 5 & DIP 6 switches to try to calibrate & hold, but it seems to change every time I turn on the model. I believe I have both DIP 5 & DIP 6 switches up so the Sabertooth initially recalibrates itself every time I turn on the model.

I use left slider (Aux 4) for steering & right slider (Aux 5) for for/rev.

My memory doesn't serve me quite as precisely anymore, you'll need to look at Sabertooth manual, it's DIP 1 is the motor controller mix, but I don't recall if UP is on or off. And I find that DIP 4 acceleration ramping on works with better results than off.

My JD450 has brushless motors to propel the tracks, so it has individual esc's, & trying to mix the sliders so I can drive it like a Sabertooth... I couldn't get it to work properly, so I operate one track on each slider... I would prefer the mix control, but it is what it is with this model.
Thank you, very informative. The sabertooth website actually has a dip switch guide where you enter some basic information and it shows you how to position the 6 switches in order to achieve what you're looking for. I also read that auto calibration can be turned off using 1 of the switches. Ideally, I'd like to have left slider control left track, and right slider control the right track and set up a mix through the DX 18 to use the right joystick for more precise controls. I'm not sure what kind of motors are in it, so im going to pass on the esc for now