RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Metal forming & tools

Metal forming & tools If it bends,twists,welds,cuts & turns metal.Post it here

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Green Horn

CrimsonCorsair is on a distinguished road
Default Drill Press Advice Please

OK - I have a set of FGD rails that need drilling. I have an old - ancient really - drill and a generic 'strap any drill into it' drill press. I have no table or vice for it. I have a short rail I have been practicing with and it is just not stable enough holding it by hand for me to drill these holes. They either come out off center, not round, or worse I break the bits.

What would you all recommend for drilling rails? I would like to be able to use it for other items too - that is why I was looking at a drill press.

I have looked at Lowes and Home Depot - the presses there all look like the chuck is way too large to accurately hold the tiny drills needed for the rails. Help!

And thanks in advance - I really appreciate your advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Drill Press Advice Please

You can always change the chuck out to a smaller cap or sensitive feed chuck. Check and get one with taper shank chucks (the spindle will have a taper in it). Then get a diff chuck for fine work and a set of wedges for pulling them apart.

Myself I picked up a nice Delta DP350 last year. Works well and I love the variable speed on it, very happy with it. Comes with a nice big 1/2" chuck. I have a small precision chuck with a straight shank on it I can use for small stuff but that typically gets done in the cnc mill. Mostly I use the drillpress for countersinking backsides of holes and a few odd quick jobs here and there.

Have a floor standing drill press to, don't use it much cause I hate spending time adjusting the belts for the right speed, though it can go slower then the delta for larger drill bits.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

I have a Ryobi drill press I got from Home depot for $119 and I have drilled many a frame rail with it and have gone down to as low as a #61 drill with no problem. it has no problem what so ever handling the drill you need to drill frame rail.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 AM

siuvinson is on a distinguished road

harbor freight has a nice looking drill press for $70 - decent reviews...people say that attaching the chuck can be a bit difficult though. I had looked at it, but did not pull the trigger b/c my fiance agreed to let me register at Menards for our wedding so I chose to wait until then.

In my experience, the harbor freight stuff can be hit/miss...between my father and I, we've been pretty pleased overall, but have had our share of poor investments on a few products from them.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by siuvinson View Post
harbor freight has a nice looking drill press for $70 - decent reviews...people say that attaching the chuck can be a bit difficult though. I had looked at it, but did not pull the trigger b/c my fiance agreed to let me register at Menards for our wedding so I chose to wait until then.

In my experience, the harbor freight stuff can be hit/miss...between my father and I, we've been pretty pleased overall, but have had our share of poor investments on a few products from them.
Which part of the chuck were they refering too? If it's getting the morse taper to stay in the drill press spindle, clean everything with brake clean or solvent. I still have to whack my chuck with a 2 x 4 it make it stay. Greasy tapered part's won't play nice!

If the chuck won't stay on the morse taper shank, clean both peice's, heat the chuck up in your oven for 30 or so minute's(300'), handle with glove's and stick the morse taper shank in the hot chuck, give it a whack with a hammer and let it cool. doesn't alway's work on import stuff.

I bought a harbor frieght drill press for my dad, didn't work, but they exchanged it for another one.

Find some small "center drill's", and use that before any small drillbit's, help's stop the drill from "walking" and breaking.

I use a magbase drillpress and steel work bench for project's, never use the drill press anymore.
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road

I have an eye for tools, being that I used them for 20 years or so for a living, but I am not too impressed with the quality of tools/power tools at Harbor Freight. If that's your price range and you're only going to use it once or twice a year, then go for it.

I feel I stepped up buying a Black & Decker Fire Storm at Lowes for $75.00 5 years ago. After doing so I realized it's limitations. It does the job but isn't expandable to what can be attached to the table.

Now Model Expo had some nice table top press and I know Grainger http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WES...EN4?Pid=search has this one I have been eyeing for quite some time.

It really depends on use and wallet size. Don't buy a tool on price but usage and you'll be satisfied.

(Oh, and I do not work for any of the above companies I listed)

~ Jeff

Last edited by Panther F; 01-26-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Although not a drill press an inexpensive alternative if you have a hand drill or cordless drill driver is one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-4525.../dp/B000JCIMEA

I haven't drilled frame rails with one but I've gotten good results using one for other jobs. If I were to use one to drill the rails I'd build up some plywood (and whatever else to shim it to the right height) on either side of the rail for support. Hope this helps...
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Green Horn

Thanks to everyone for the advice - I like the Model Expo solution, but can't seem to find any reviews on it. They also do not offer any vise/table options, but it looks like it is slotted to fit any of the other solutions out there...

I am still reading this if anyone else wants to chime in - I would love to know what you are using...

Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you end up with a drill chuck that is to big to hold the smaller drill bits, get yourself a pin vise chuck, which is just a small chuck, designed just for the smallest drill bits. They simply chuck up into your larger drill chuck, and they are really not that expensive.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Gregg is on a distinguished road

I have the Harbor Freight drill press. Same as mentioned above and it works great. the chuck easily holds .125 drill bits which are the proper clearance bit for M3x.05 screws.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Green Horn

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Here is a drill press I bought about 3 weeks ago at Menards, paid $105.00. I have drilled alot of holes in plastic,brass and aluminum, it does a great job so far. I use a very small bit to start my holes for better accuracy with no problem. Also look at the vice on the table It was only $12.00, it comes with a clamp attachment that you can clamp it vertically or horizontally to your bench. The jaws are stepped at the top for clamping plate or bar stock without having to use parralells, nice touch!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Green Horn

Awesome - thanks! No Menards in Louisville - but I pass one on my way to Indy several times a year. I appreciate the photos too - thanks.