RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Corral for the IRONHORSE

Corral for the IRONHORSE If it runs on rails,put it here!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road
Default "Steamers" Builds and collection

Was over at robs today and took a few photos of some of his coolection ..Some pretty impressive stuff.

]

Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Steamers" Builds and collection

Wow!, I thought G scale was large. Very nice!!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

No way! Live steam and an electric diesel electric! What scale are the locomotives? Looks like the kind that you can actually pull yourself around in a gondola or passenger car!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Judging by the Cat loader that SD40-2 has got to be close to 1/14.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

That is awesome! Must have a very large space for that layout!! There is a park here that runs 15" gauge train that my kids love to ride. (McCormick Stillman RR Park) Very nice work on both of those!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

I was over to his place as well, I think the CPR 5703 is 1/16. The model he is building now is WILD, I think he said it will be over 500 pounds when finished.

Very Nice Stuff

greg
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

wow impressive collection of large scale trains. there is something about trains that brings out the kid in us all
Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I'd have to guess the CP Rail SD40-2 is a little undersized, to be 1/16 or 1/14 scale. Maybe around 1/18 or so?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

First of all I want to thank Lou for putting up the pictures of some of my trains. Espeefan, the SD-40-2 was built 1/16 scale form GM drawing and I think it's the way lou is holding his model that makes it look small. It's
52" long 7 1/2" wide and 11 1/2" tall. Has two 12 volt air conditioner motors in the fuel tank one powering each truck. I have easly pulled 10 people behind me on flat cars. I have all so built a F-40 thunder wagon in the same scale for GO Transit in Ontario. The little 2-6-0 is the OS World Engines Porter that was on the market back in the 80's and I got it when I sold a CN Hudson 4-6-4. Other loco's I built over the years are NYC Niagra 4-8-4. CP 4-4-0. 0-4-0 Tich, Four GE 20 ton 0-4-0 diesel electric. The big engine in the pictures is a 1/8 scale Baldwin Logging engine that was working here on the island. The real loco is about 40 miles from where I live so I am able to drive there to measure it. If anyone is interested I have more pictures on some of this stuff.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Sweet bunch of engines you have there! Have you built any rolling stock for them? Do you run the 1/16 engine on an elevated track?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Journeyman

Yes i've built a bunch of rolling stock over the years, boxcars, flats, gons and a caboose. There all sold off now and I've only kept the riding car. I prefer myself, to ride on the ground and the track here at my house was on the ground. Pulled it up as the ties all rotted. Next time the ties will be recycled plastic and they'll be around forever. The club here on the island is elevated and the results of a derailment are not pretty, having had one myself. When I get closer to running the logging engine I'll relay the track on the ground again. Rob
Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That is very cool, steamer. To the best of my knowledge, there are no 1/16 scale diesel electric kits out there, or am I wrong? You must have machined just about everything yourself. The trucks included? That kind of takes modeling to a whole new standard. I imagine how easy it is to super detail a model of this size. You don't even need tweezers to hold the parts and instead of glue, it can be bolted or welded together. Nice.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Journeyman

Thanks. Ya, I scratch built the SD back in 84 when I worked for a large company in Guelph Ontario. Had a large fabricating company at my disposal. Realy is nice to use a couple of mill $ of someone elses equipement. I realy miss that facility now, I would put it to good use building the 2-8-2.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:12 PM

mog is on a distinguished road

wow that's nice stuff there would be nice to see the 966 on a flat car going. i like live steam as well very nice done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

I think all your builds are awesome, but personally I'd like to see more pictures of the SD40-2. Like from underneath, the motors, gearing, etc. What type of batteries and ESC did you use?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Journeyman

Thanks guys. If I known there was going to be this much interest when I built these engines I would have payed more attention. SD-40-2, the batteries are from a Sears jeep, two 6 volt 9 amp hr pack. All totaled there are four packs in there and it's enough to run about six hours. The speed control was built from drawing in Live Steam mag, March 89. Bought all the parts, just breadborded it and with a little fine tuning with a scope it works fine. The amp draw at full stall is 62 amp. Put a 100 amp shunt on the output and the meter is in the hand held controler. As I said before the traction motors are from an 18 wheeler cab mount air conditioner and I picked them up surplus. If you look at the large steamer, ones sitting on the rear frame. The motors are in the fuel tank and drive out to the truck with a Boston gear sliding drive shaft. there is a bevel gear box on the front axle and then a 25 pitch chain drive from axle to axle to axle, giving me two motor six wheel drive. Only ever saw it slip on aluminum rail in the rain. I should say that it ways in at 240 Lbs. I'll try to find pictures to post.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Journeyman

Well here goes my first try at photos. Hope this works. All these engines are 1/16" scale.
F40PH

GE 20 Ton with two 20 Ton models

Unlimited diesel power. Four of the same, MU'd together

All of these engines are scratch built as there are no kits. All it takes is a little skill and a lot of patience.

Last edited by ihbuilder; 10-04-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Journeyman

Well I don't know what I did wrong but it didn't work, sorry about that. I'll try again, after I talk to someone who knows. Rob
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Steamer you got a major interest right here A GP38 will be my first . I just haven't found any drawings with some kind of measurement on them . I like your Idea for the traction motor . I had 2 of those ac units in my bone yard but they're fate is ugly (scrapped ) . I have the plans for a live steamer but thats on the back burner for now ( prob. till I get more grays ) are you trying to post your pics from photobucket ? you need to use the IMG code . I usually do copy paste that way nothing gets messed up.

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Well I don't know what I did wrong but it didn't work, sorry about that. I'll try again, after I talk to someone who knows. Rob
Rob
fixed it for you . you had double http://[IMG] in the beginning and the end

IHSteve