RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Berman is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone else using the new Futaba 4YWD?

So when I heard this was coming I was keen to see how good it was
against the old AM 4VWD unit's.

I get glitching at about 25 meters with the AM sets on my trucks with the antennas extended and also using the telescopic antennas.

I bought one of these new 2.4ghz 4YWD units (mainly for my new tank) but also as a hope of getting more range and and end to glitching on my trucks (if it worked out, i would buy more). Well I can tell you you get more range, and the other beauty is internal antenna. I also have to mention that it has a deeper notch in the center of the trims, so you can center the easily by feel.

But...

I can NOT get this radio to work with the multi function unit properly.
even after resetting the throttle endpoints as per the manual, this is what happens:

Continuous horn beeps intermittently and sounds kind of "8 bit"
Hazard lights wont switch on when trim moved up.
Sometimes when you do move the trim up the truck switches off.
When you put truck in reverse, it reverses, but the sound and reverse lights flick on and off.
Turn left and indicator works fine, turn right and it does go, but is delaying in sound and light.

There is probably other things I have forgotten:

I am using a fully charged 7.4v lipo, I have always used lipos, I can plug the AM receiver in, reset the mutli function end point setup and it works flawlessly (apart from the aforementioned glitching at 25m).

Anyone else had this problem or any suggestions?

More than happy to post up a video.

Regards
Neil
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone else using the new Futaba 4YWD?

Not all 2.4 works with MFU, you can try and slide the trim (right vertical) to extreme up or extreme down, works on my rig.
A.M. is totally obsolete.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

I have great success with 2.4 specktrum dx radios with my builds and i still use the futaba am's for some of my builds... they work fine, i got one thats 4yrs old however why would you want your truck to be that far away from you.are you running it on.a large track of some sort.like jack says unfortunately not all radios are compatible with the mfu unit.some on this forum use airtronics too
Old 10-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Hey guys thanks for your replies

This new unit is basically the same as the 4YF, but molded in black and marketed as
compatible with the mfc-01 and mfc-02.

Tamiya actually offer a "Full set" tractor truck kit with this radio.

I have emailed Futaba America but they are not familiar with this radio as it's an overseas model.

I only bought this unit as it was marketed as a 2.4 unit that is compatible with the Multi Function Unit.

1985 kenworth: I have a reasonable sized driveway and I like to hit the top of 3rd with a 55t
every now and again, it is pretty scary when something you've invested a fair amount of time and money into starts trying to do its own thing

Thanks again guys for your help
Old 10-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

I have a 4YF running my truck and it experiences the issues you describe almost to a tee.
The blinking reverse lights and sound always happens.
The lazy right turn signal still happens too but I've minimized the engine shut down by placing the right vertical trim just south a notch or 2.
When you do move your trims do it slowly and not a quick zip to max.
When functions won't work check your left stick centre, things won't work if it's out just a bit. Once I found the proper centre I marked with a fine paint marker.
To make the hazards work, once you move the right stick up and return to centre, give it a small pull down and return to centre. I bet your hazards will work. To shut them off, repeat process. Try it and let me know.

Funny thing is... Some days the truck works perfect and never misses a beat! I spent 3 days at the Indy show last year and never had a problem! It ran great at the Clifford show but other times I have nothing but constant shutdowns
It's really weird.

My wife's truck has a older Airtronics VG 600 FM radio and that thing is awesome! never, ever glitches, all functions run great no problems at all and no visible antenna on the truck. I attached the wire to one of the stacks ( chromed copper pipe ) and have more range than my eyes can handle

Mario

Last edited by Supermario; 10-02-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 AM

Hey Mario, thanks for your post.

I have unfortunately already reinstalled the AM set so I can't check what you asked,
But if I didn't push the trim all the way forward I could sometimes get the hazards to work, but even then, sometimes they would just stay on full time etc.

Before I uninstalled it, I did take a quick video, some of it shows the errors I posted above and usually things like the two trim shut down etc doesnt work but did in the video. I am positive it pretty much has a mind of its own lol. I am going to wait until my tank turns up on Monday, try it with the DMD unit, otherwise I might have to contact the seller and see about returning it.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y62...ps9f011fb6.mp4

Last edited by Berman; 10-03-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

I have a MFC-02 (for the tamiya highlift) and a Futaba 6J. I had to use the dual rate switch to make the blinkers work, and I also use the dual rate switch to separate the high beams and the horn. It took some time to figure it all out, as I was not aware how to use the new radio functions, or how the MFC-02 is suppose to act.

I think I invested over 6 hours in the last 9 months, but is it ever sweet to have it all work!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 AM

Thanks Acadieman. I have heard of others using dual rates on other radio sets with success setting the rates to approx 65% and 100% respectively, then just flicking the dual rate switch and moving the appropriate sticks. Glad you got your highlift sorted.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Well not conclusive right now, But after a few emails with the reseller I bought the radio off, it seems that there was a running change recently with the multi function units to coincide with these new 2.4ghz sets from Futaba.

Apparently the box of the new multi function units has some slight colour/text differences and reference to the new 2.4ghz systems whereas the older still has reference to the AM 4VWD units.

And after picking up a Leopard 2a6 last night with the reference to the AM set inside, I find it unlikely this unit is going to work with a tank either.

I have emailed Futaba Japan and am waiting for a reply.

So options for me are:

1, Replace both multi function units with newer models, replacing both AM radios with 2.4ghz Futaba sets and also with the tank (lol I doubt anyone would consider this!).

2, Buy another 4VWD set for the tank, just roll AM style, risking runaway models and party like its 1999. (Possible)

3, switch all 3 over to an aftermarket 2.4ghz set with multiple memory and receivers (like the Airtronics set a few of you guys use) and run a dual rate setup and sell off the Futaba sets. (Probable)

4, buy 3 hobbyking 4ch 2.4ghz sets (as these work) and sell the Futaba sets (probable).

Any suggestions and feedback appreciated

Regards
Neil
Old 10-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

Party like its 1999.... that was a good party year! Although I hope that Futaba can help you out. Sounds like you know your options if Futaba doesn't step up to the plate. Best of luck and keep us updated!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM

Haha thanks Acadieman B)

Well an update. Futaba Japan, emailed me back and it seems there was a problem with the receivers in the first batch and promptly sent me out a replacement with bonus 5x stickers Via EMS! B)

I had it in my tank and it was fine like the faulty one. But I have only just got around to putting it in my MAN TGX and it works flawlessly with all functions as per manual using the trims like the AM sets and fantastic range with no glitching.

So I would now certainly recommend this radio as a fantastic good priced entry 2.4 that works like it should and with the bigger ratchet in the trims center makes it a heap easier to return to the middle.

I will now be buying two more of these sets to replace the aging 27mhz 4vwds that my trucks currently run on for trouble (and stress) free operation
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 AM

gravely_todd is on a distinguished road

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...system-7255252

Looks like Tamiya will be offering a rebranded Futaba 4YWD that will work with an MFU.

Todd
Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 AM

HOMER.07 is on a distinguished road

I am currently using the Futaba 4YF 2.4GHz on my 1/16 Tamiya Leopard 2A6 and have only had the sound drop off a few times, other than that works good.

I am looking at getting the new Futaba 4YWD 2.4GHz for my new 1/14 Tamiya Knight Hauler and MFC-01, so fingers crossed things will be okay with the radio I receive.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravely_todd View Post
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...system-7255252

Looks like Tamiya will be offering a rebranded Futaba 4YWD that will work with an MFU.

Todd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMER.07 View Post
I am currently using the Futaba 4YF 2.4GHz on my 1/16 Tamiya Leopard 2A6 and have only had the sound drop off a few times, other than that works good.

I am looking at getting the new Futaba 4YWD 2.4GHz for my new 1/14 Tamiya Knight Hauler and MFC-01, so fingers crossed things will be okay with the radio I receive.
Now that Futaba Japan have sent me a new receiver, everything works as it should.
I have nothing but praise for this new radio and both my tank and trucks work flawlessly with them.

I think you both would be more than happy with the operation of this unit.

Todd, it was inevitable that Tamiya would have a rebranded version and these also come in the Japanese Only Full Sets (i.e, tractor, mfu, radio, battery, charger).

All the best
Old 03-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Green Horn

Trucker Al is on a distinguished road

Tower hobbles showing this radio (Tamiya 4YWD) will be in stock in late April, 2014 for $186.00

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 PM

HOMER.07 is on a distinguished road

Hi Trucker Al, I use a Futaba 4YWD on my Knight Hauler that I have just recently finished building, and I could not be more pleased with it. I haven't had any issues with the MFC-01
I have another Futaba 4YWD to use with my MAN TGX 26.540 6x4 as well that I am currently building.
I sourced both of my Futaba 4WYD's, my two Trucks, and my seven 1/16 RC tanks from a vendor in Hong Kong and would be willing to give you his email address if you wish, just PM me. All you have to do is email for a quote on what you want with shipping
He has a eBay shop site but by going in the back door you will get the item cheaper. He ships off items pretty quick.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM

I bought mine from Stellamodels.net for $95 usd.

I now have 3 of the 4YWD's, one in a Knight Hauler with MFC-01, One in a MAN TGX540 with the new MFC-03, and one in my Leopard 2a6 with the DMD-07.

All work perfectly and every sound and function works as it should. Fantastic radio, very happy!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 PM

Steve1503 is on a distinguished road

I have 2, they both worked great.