RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Gotta like CNC!! Multiple parts in one fixture!! Nicely done, seems you are catching on to using your new machine!! Good job man...keep it up!! Looking forward to seeing all the goodies you will be able to make now, so how do you like the machine so far? I've been looking at that machine for a while and was totally surprised and pleased to see you buy one!! Have fun!!
KP
Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Made another set of soft jaws for milling the other side

What would the jaws be for? Sorry if it's a dumb question very newbie when it comes to milling.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

The jaws are the pieces of alum that clamp into vise,, they are called soft/perishable jaws because you cut them to hold parts. It's just a custom made vise clamp to hold that specific part. Not the best for one offparts but for making multiple parts it allows you to hold many parts for machining.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hey kp, I've had some steep learning to do in the computer side of this cnc adventure. The actual machine is simple. And it's nice to be able to do simple things like face or pocket right at the machine without having to make a program at computer. When I first got this I couldn't find anything on break in or set up. Well they run them through a breakin routine and it's not necessary for customer to do. Right out of crate it was perfect and accurate. I did do a lot of research on retro fitting my grizzly mill verses this tormach. A bit more $ but I'm not piecing together something and I really didn't want to learn how it works but rather how to work it. I basically just got what I thought I needed to get by during the learning process. I have switched out the flood coolant to the fogboster ( air blast with minimal coolant). Way better for alum chip evacuation and not as messy. And with dehumidifier running in shop to keep rust down and forced hot air furnace the coolant was being depleted pretty quick. I didn't want to be messing with adding water and not knowing concentration without checking s.g. I do want to get the air drawbar and rotary table 4th axis. And probably get the touch screen shortly just for ease of use. I did get the probe but wish I would have just got the hiemer zero set probe. After a little bit of learning the pathpilot (similar to Mach 3) controller is pretty easy to understand. I don't think I will ever get the tool changer or enclosure. Unless I start doing more steel. If you are looking at these, take my word for what it's worth. ( I'm just a beginner) the machine is pretty solid and I am very happy with it. Plus it's about 20k cheaper than a hass mini mill!! And it's been approved by fat malbert, he just sleeps next to it while running and air compressor kicking on/off!!
My wife's mother was down to see it and she just doesn't understand why I spend $ and countless hours making this stuff just so I can sit in a chair and play with remote control toys!! Had to explain the idea of my mancave and being a manchild!!! Lol!! Parents just don't understand!!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

I think its a mom thing, she looks at my trucks and goes "you made that?" and gives me a funny look, my dad loves to see the trucks and enjoys it when I bring them over, he was always a pencil pusher and never had any thing to do with trucking machining or anything like that. Glad things are coming along well, your already a master modeler and with what your learning now, wow your definitely in your own zip code!
Old 02-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Apprentice

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys....very true...LOL. And you got a real nice toy now!!
I think you bought this machine at the right time, I can see the price of any off shore products going up very soon.
Speaking of toys here is another one...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ziiX_235Q
Old 02-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
The jaws are the pieces of alum that clamp into vise,, they are called soft/perishable jaws because you cut them to hold parts. It's just a custom made vise clamp to hold that specific part. Not the best for one offparts but for making multiple parts it allows you to hold many parts for machining.
Thanks cooper makes total sense now.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Cooper, You wouldn't have had to make the pockets for the track links as deep as you did. Only needed to be as deep as what you wanted to not machine. Since you only milled on end and only about 1/3rd of the way thru the part, that is how deep the pockets needed to be. Would have saved you lots of time making the jaws and milling. Just a little info for next time!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The top and bottom are cut out. I didn't want to clamp against the little points and round end, that's why I cut them .3" deep as the part is .3" deep but offset .15" in heights from one end to other.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:59 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

I've clamped to less then .06" but, seeing the way your clamping them your best off at that depth . Looks good so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:15 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSGARAGE View Post
The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys....very true...LOL. And you got a real nice toy now!!
I think you bought this machine at the right time, I can see the price of any off shore products going up very soon.
Speaking of toys here is another one...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ziiX_235Q
Wow, that's an awesome lil machine!

You have one on order for your shop KP?

I could go for something like that... someday.

Joe
Old 02-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Water jet looks nice but don't want to pay for it. Can't be cheap!!! The floor model one that I use to run cost around $500,000!!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road

https://www.wazer.com

Going for $4,499 at the moment - not too bad really all things considered.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Actualy the price is not bad on the water jet for what you get!
Info here.

https://www.wazer.com/pages/home/#buy-wazer
Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Basic price is not bad but you must remember that you will need cutting media, replacement nozzles, and pump repairs when it breaks down. Media is not all that bad but the nozzles are carbide and expensive as they have a very small hole thru them. I can only hope that the pump repairs can be handled by the owner of the machine. Forgot about the seals and filtration system maintenance plus what type of water do you use? We had to use de-ionized water in the bigger unit to cool the pump.

Would really like to see a cost per year usage chart on this machine. Don't want to burst any ones' bubble on these machines but you must be realistic unless you are a small shop and not a home machinist.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

would love to have a water jet!!!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The d11 is getting a full undercarriage overhaul!!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Apprentice

Nice!! How many hours do you estimate to complete all the links?? Are you going to make new pads as well??
Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSGARAGE View Post
Nice!! How many hours do you estimate to complete all the links?? Are you going to make new pads as well??
Just an estimate but I think I have about 22-24 hours. I have a good bit of unnecessary machineing, like changeling my retract heights and feed heights that I could even get time down more. I don't have a tapping head so I'm tapping them by hand. But that is pretty easy and just a couple seconds per hole. I am not planing on making new pads and am still debating about cutting two small reliefs for links in them. Just like the 1:1 machines. The links curl fine but they don't curl backwards any because links hit. Not a big deal but it would be a simple thing to do.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:24 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Did you program the "Y" axis wrong or locate? I see some holes that look like they're in the wrong place. Or, is the tiny drill bit wondering off center from sticking out of the chuck so far? If so, add another event with a spotting drill or center drill that is more rigid then come back and finish drill.