RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MY NEW GRAND HAULER/KENWORTH BUILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjetexpress View Post
there is a check mark there that says I can receive??
I tried to send you a pm, but it tells me the same thing. You can't receive pm's. But the measurements are 4-3/16" opened, and 3-3/16" closed. I don't need the support legs, but thank you anyways.

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I received my aerodyne roof yesterday, and I didn't post anything because my daughter, her husband and my grandchild came down for the weekend. I wanted too know if the gap between the cab and sleeper roof's is to big? I'm not really sure, so if you think it is please let me know. Here are a few picture's.

Thanks for looking, Big John.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!

Last edited by glorydays24; 04-17-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Honestly I think the gap is a little high but I would not worry about it. When you paint the truck, add the lights, air horns, stacks and mirrors it will all help hide that gap. If you do some shaving, keep the rivet line on the sleeper and work on the roof section.

here are a few 1:1 examples, it's hard to find a good top view.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for the pic's Claus. I might leave it, not sure yet. What to do, what to do...

Big John

Old 04-17-2018, 12:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Testing.

https://s19.postimg.org/3p2s91qpv/100_1085.jpg
Becomes
https://s19.postimg.cc/3p2s91qpv/100_1085.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays24 View Post
I am as excited as a kid on Christmas...

I have a lot of plans for this beast, and I have to order quite a few parts if I want this to be a KW.

Thanks for looking, Big John
Old 04-17-2018, 11:27 PM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road

hi big john truck is looking good i have a question have you looked into the all metal transmission at all
Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack van View Post
hi big john truck is looking good i have a question have you looked into the all metal transmission at all
Thanks brother! If you are talking about the all metal gears, I had considered it. But I don't think I will due to the fact these transmissions hold up very well. And if you are talking about the aluminum housing I never have thought I needed it. Now if I start stripping the plastic gears, I probably would go all metal gears.

Big John

Old 04-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I received a little something in the mail today. It's the Tamiya metal air horns, and they are saaaweeet! Here is a couple of pic's.

Thanks for looking, Big John.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:23 PM

ittigger is on a distinguished road

Nice!
Old 04-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

I have those air horns on my truck, they are very nice indeed.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Green Horn

lenny is on a distinguished road

Can the house come down at all? Bottom of cab and bottom of house should line straight across, and crown tight to cab roof. The time is now !!
Old 04-18-2018, 11:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittigger View Post
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
I have those air horns on my truck, they are very nice indeed.
Thanks guy's.

Big John

Old 04-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny View Post
Can the house come down at all? Bottom of cab and bottom of house should line straight across, and crown tight to cab roof. The time is now !!
Yeah, I know the cab and sleeper bottoms should be level with each other. The only way to fix the problem (and easiest) would be to add a strip of styryne to the bottom of the sleeper. But I am planning on having led's running along the bottom of both. Hopefully when I have everything put on, I can hide the mismatch. As far as the roof, I did see a picture of an actual truck with the roof having a bigger gap, so I think I will leave it the way it is.

Big John

Old 05-06-2018, 12:22 PM

HAZMAN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays24 View Post
Yeah, I know the cab and sleeper bottoms should be level with each other. The only way to fix the problem (and easiest) would be to add a strip of styryne to the bottom of the sleeper. But I am planning on having led's running along the bottom of both. Hopefully when I have everything put on, I can hide the mismatch. As far as the roof, I did see a picture of an actual truck with the roof having a bigger gap, so I think I will leave it the way it is.

Big John
I had the same issue with my Aeordyne build and I decided to go the 85 w900 look by raising the roof of the cab by inserting a wedge creating a 2mm gap between the cab and lip of the roof. I also lengthened the cab 4mm behind the doors. Looks like your going for the 76 look then you could also separate the cab from the sleeper and raise the cab up 3mm. If do this then you'll need to to add washers under the cab mount to achieve the new height. I did the cab separation and washer with my build as I wanted it to sit a mm or 2 higher than my other King Hauler. As for the bottoms matching up , cut and add 2 or 3mm strips of styrene to lineup the cab and sleeper.

Last edited by HAZMAN; 05-06-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZMAN View Post
I had the same issue with my Aeordyne build and I decided to go the 85 w900 look by raising the roof of the cab by inserting a wedge creating a 2mm gap between the cab and lip of the roof. I also lengthened the cab 4mm behind the doors. Looks like your going for the 76 look then you could also separate the cab from the sleeper and raise the cab up 3mm. If do this then you'll need to to add washers under the cab mount to achieve the new height. I did the cab separation and washer with my build as I wanted it to sit a mm or 2 higher than my other King Hauler. As for the bottoms matching up , cut and add 2 or 3mm strips of styrene to lineup the cab and sleeper.
Thanks for the info brother! If I was to cut the sleeper from the cab and raise the cab with washers, wouldn't that make the gap between the grill and front bumper be to much? If you have a thread on your idea, please let me know so I can see what it look's like.

Big John

Old 05-06-2018, 04:49 PM

No thread but a lot of pictures. I actually made a new bumper mounting plate and raised the bumper 3mm. I'll upload the build picks to my post image page and send you the link.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
No thread but a lot of pictures. I actually made a new bumper mounting plate and raised the bumper 3mm. I'll upload the build picks to my post image page and send you the link.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:04 PM

https://postimg.cc/gallery/jzniiriy/

OK, I included a link with build pics of my Aerodyne. I checked the gaps on my Aerodyne with one screw spacer under each cab mount and I'm seeing about a 1 mm gap between the bumper and the fender, and a 2mm gap from the top of the cab to the aerodyne cap. There's a pic of the front bumpers of the 85 KW and of my latest project the W900 Studio Sleeper with a 4mm spacer lift. I wanted body flaring under the cab and sleeper for lights but covered them with chrome step trim. I added flaring to the front lip of the fender to close the bumper gap and purposely left the space under the grille open. if separating the Cab and sleeper you can also elongate the bumper mounting holes to raise it up, which I may do. This only works if using a aluminum bumper as the stock plastic bumper has the molded slot for the bumper mount.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/jzniiriy/

OK, I included a link with build pics of my Aerodyne. I checked the gaps on my Aerodyne with one screw spacer under each cab mount and I'm seeing about a 1 mm gap between the bumper and the fender, and a 2mm gap from the top of the cab to the aerodyne cap. There's a pic of the front bumpers of the 85 KW and of my latest project the W900 Studio Sleeper with a 4mm spacer lift. I wanted body flaring under the cab and sleeper for lights but covered them with chrome step trim. I added flaring to the front lip of the fender to close the bumper gap and purposely left the space under the grille open. if separating the Cab and sleeper you can also elongate the bumper mounting holes to raise it up, which I may do. This only works if using a aluminum bumper as the stock plastic bumper has the molded slot for the bumper mount.
Thanks brother, this helps a lot!

Big John

Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 AM

No problem Brother, that's what we're here for.