RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Farm Tractors and Implements

Farm Tractors and Implements Discussion of farm equipment

Old 06-19-2019, 11:30 AM

pedrcri is on a distinguished road
Default John deere 7930 conversion.

Hey Guys.

I know there are more builds on here on modifying and converting bruder machines but this is my conversion which takes a bit of what others have done and made some changes that work with my budget and product availability.

this is going to be a 2wd since I dont have a CNC machine to make the 4wd conversion but if you guys have suggestions that are reasonably priced I will make that conversion to 4wd.

Apologies about the image quality. these are scaled down photos.

So here goes the tear down...

Hood comes off easily. just lift and pull.

Next is the steps. its not mandatory to remove but I wanted to see how this worked. Just 1 tab to pull on under the first step.

The exhaust comes out with 2 tabs. the one important tab is against the window which needs to be accessed from under neath the exhaust stack. the other tab just pulls out from the side of the engine.

Now the scary part! cutting the axle to remove the tires which will be modified later.

With the 2 parts separated you will have to cut all the backing on the wheel so that it is flat to accept the new hub. I used my cutoff tool but if you dont have one use some side cutters or an exacto knife to get the same results. The 6 hole hub was purchased through RobotShop. It is a 6mm diameter since I will be using a 50:1 motor per side and it has a 6mm shaft.

for the center hub hole I used a step drill bit to make the hole. I forget the size but just cut till the hub fits snug. Then clean up the face of the wheel so you can drill the 6 holes for the screws.

last attach the motor to the hub and tighten the set screw. Then attach the hub to the wheel and make sure the screws all line up. (this is just a test fit for now).

well that is it for now. stay tuned for more breaking down the model.. Cab next and then splitting the frame.

any questions let me know.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: John deere 7930 conversion.

Seems like you are off to a good start. I enjoy doing farm stuff myself.

Rob
Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

I LIke it a lot!
Old 07-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Nice, keep the progress photos coming!

Jim
Old 07-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Step 2 is to start cutting and tearing apart the model to get the motors to fit and the servo to fit.

before we cut up the model I make the holes in the rear wheels to fit the hub to attach to the motor. a Step drill works really good here. I cut all the support pieces on the back of the wheel so that it is flat.

Then step drill and make holes for the screws to attach to the hub.

First think is to figure out where to start cutting for the cylinder to attach to. I have a bandsaw which makes it easy to cut the plastic and be a little more accurate than a dremel tool.

Next test fit the cylinder with motors to check gaps with wheel well and spacing between wheel and center of vehicle. some trimming will be done to make it fit
just right and aligned. I will then paint the cylinder pipe and make final fitment of the motors with a set screw so the motors dont move. A lot of hot glue will hold the cylinder in place.

You can see the hole for the servo is also made. there is a plastic bracket inside the model that is conveniently placed by bruder to hold the servo at the right hight.
Servo is an HS-82MG Hitec servo. it should have enought power to handle the weight and turning in the sand.

Next I start to work on the cab and the lights. there are 4 tabs inside the cab you need to pop so you can take the green roof off. once you remove those there is some room to place the lights and the wires to run inside the cab. I used some heat shrink around the wires to hide them when going throught the cab. and out the bottom.

I used a dremel to open up the light housing on the bruder model. it was to tight for the light to sit in there with the housing for the light. also, I had to make some cuts where the tabs are to run the wires. no picture but you can see where they come throught.

so this is the final look for the lights setup. lights on the nose, top of cab front and back and break lights and turning lights.

Now back to the model. mocking up the components. I decided to stay away from speed controllers and have gone with the sabertooth 2x5. it will help with the differential steering.

that is all I have for now. next time I will show the battery location, steering setup and location for electrical components.

Hope you like this and leave some comments.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:58 PM

well its complete. all the exlectronics are in the machine and added a beacon. the last post shows where the steering servo goes and it is just connected to the reciever. all the components are tucked in the space infront of the rear axle. pretty tight with all the wires from the lights. but it fits.

here is the electronics layout. the lights are running on a separate battery and switch.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Any video(s) of this lil conversion hard at work?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:05 PM

Hey Skeeter, Yep, I have a link below if you want to check it out. I would do more videos but the tipper portion of this build is waiting for a new motor. I would make more videos with it once I have that part installed.

Youtube link:
https://youtu.be/k1LkNg_WwUE

Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

It seems to work well.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Great Job on the conversion!!

Rob
Old 09-09-2019, 07:08 PM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask what motors you used?? I am just going to start that same build...
Old 09-10-2019, 01:33 PM

hey Flatdeck, I got these from Robotshop.com
12V 50:1 170oz-inc Metal Gearmotor
Product Code : RB-Pol-283
by Pololu
Old 09-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.. I have the same Bruder tractor to do...Thanks again....