RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Scale Buildings, Warehouses and Structures.

Scale Buildings, Warehouses and Structures. If you have buildings and other structures that you have built to use with your Rc's here is your place to share them.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wanco vertical mast arrow board

I couldn't resist, I had to share the video on PNWSTE Facebook page, so the guys can see the latest addition!
Old 04-04-2020, 09:33 PM

jrdido is on a distinguished road

In need of your help, I've built an arrow sign, and wired the leds so that I could have an arrow in either direction. Or just center line, I've watched a few you tube videos on making a pc board. my problem is. I don't have the ability to solder on such a small pc board, can you please help me. I want to be able to change arrow fron my radio. TIA
Old 04-04-2020, 09:51 PM

Frizzen, I've built an arrow sign, so that I can either have a center line, or arrow in either direction, I've bought everything to make the pc board, and watched a few you tube videos, the problem is. I don't have complete control of my hands, they shake, I can't make the flasher pc, can you please help me
Old 04-04-2020, 11:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Skeeter, awesome let me know what you think when it arrives.

Jrdido, You'll have a pm soon.
Hmm, adding remote controlled arrow changing is going to add some complexity.

My quick & dirty idea on that would be to add a tiny servo that could just operate a "microswitch". Then you could hook up the output from the timer to the 'COM' pin, then one direction arrow to the 'NO' pin, then other direction to 'NC' pin.

You'd either need a radio that lets you bind 2 RX at same time and has more channels than your (truck?) needs, or maybe get something like what the Rock Crawlers use as an Add-a-Channel style Winch Control?
---edit
https://youtu.be/kEPff6pSmpU
It's way overkill but if it must be stand alone and remotely switchable, you could grab something like a heyok add a channel, to run a servo, to push a switch to go between Left and Right directors
---/edit

I'm sure someone else has a nicer / cleaner way to do it, but i just heard the problem and i'm a hack that likes discrete components or off the shelf parts.

Last edited by frizzen; 04-05-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:50 PM

Thank you, yea micro servo. or Airplane wing servo, Inside inside sign box. Good idea. Please contact me. When you can. Please
Old 04-10-2020, 12:18 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Jr.... I was thinking about your idea for 'Remote arrow change' (or maybe powering a conveyer system i was thinking about) and came across this device. There are some between 6-24v dc input, and different amperage relays, there are even some with more channels. What really does it for me on this is it has solder pads for Com, NC, NO. Plus it's 12v with a working voltage down to 3.7v

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Cont.../dp/B077ZQMQDZ

Tx is a remote fob like cars keyless entry, it could be fastened to your radio with Velcro, Lanyard, whatever.
Rx looks to be able to do latched or momentary switching. It's voltage range should give enough options like a RX pack, 9v batt, Stick pack, 2s lipo...
Old 05-04-2020, 05:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

If a guy knows a tamed pooping-robot, he might want to stick one of these on a trailer kinda like this

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3857245

https://youtu.be/8HU2aZumxQQ

It's a Vertical Mast trailer. He's setup to run 2 or 3 of the LED name tags. It could probably be adapted fairly easily?

https://www.thingiverse.com/Goodsons...scaler-trailer mr goodson has several other cool trailer designs that might be adaptable.

Looks to be designed as scenery for 1.9" rock crawlers. I haven't tried it, no connection to the maker. Looks pretty sweet if it works though.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Jrdido sent this great looking arrow board over for me to help out with some electronicals and wizardry.
He already had it built and 5mm leds bussed together, so i just tweaked on the wiring a little and put together a flasher. Wasn't sure what brand board he's building no i didn't want to mess up how they tie together.
I love those sunshades around the lights.

Bring the thunder!!!

Guts

I didn't know your planned wire routes, switch location, or what power source to set up for. So i'll throw in some heatshrink to help you finalize that stuff once you get to it.
I like the flash rate i have hooked up, but i've set the others a little different if you like those more. Also your boards have some solder bars on the outputs to help make swapping easier if you want.

Hopefully this setup makes more sence when you get it in your hands

Last edited by frizzen; 05-18-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:49 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road

There is something very pleasing about directly soldering circuits like this. I like your design.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:00 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I LOVE Jeremy's arrow board design! Even with having one in my hot lil hands, I Still am not capable of reproducing the masterpiece that he made!
Old 05-26-2020, 04:08 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank you wombii, it took a while to figure out how i could reduce it down to this design. I was hoping it might be less intimidating for a hobbiest following along at home. I didn't want to design and etch boards, or learn programming, or any thing like that.

You're being far too generous skeeter, i'm sure you'd get it. Although for simpler on the flasher side i probably should have just sent a fixed flasher, but i was low on parts and really wanted to see if the variable resistor would work for adjustment. Plus i knew you run videos, so i didn't want you stuck with it looking funky if i sent something that happened to be a freq that didn't play nicely with your frame rates

I really do need to just grab one of these and draw up the schematic already.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I just found some 3D printed options, and it's got to be easier than diy.

Arrow board
https://thescaleking.com/contruction...w-trailer.html

Text sign
https://thescaleking.com/contruction...n-trailer.html

Light generator
https://thescaleking.com/contruction...t-trailer.html
Old 03-05-2021, 12:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
I just found some 3D printed options, and it's got to be easier than diy.

Arrow board
https://thescaleking.com/contruction...w-trailer.html

Text sign
https://thescaleking.com/contruction...n-trailer.html

Light generator
https://thescaleking.com/contruction...t-trailer.html
Those are some FANTASTIC looking trailers......but DAM! for the price they are asking I'd expect that they'd be made of metal, rather than 3D printed!
Old 01-06-2022, 08:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Skeeter has called me out a couple times about needing to *FINALLY* get a trailer built under this board. I think it got to him too much, and this great looking 3D printed setup arrived over here!

It tucked in a little closer to the tow rig than i wanted, so i stuck an aluminum link before the ball coupler.
Then i opened up and chamfered holes in outriggers, chunk of toy rc stainless antenna wire for the battery lid hinge.

Looks like i'll have a little brass work, some paint & epoxy, poke a couple holes, and some wiring to make it all reach.

This is awesome, thank you so much man!
Old 01-08-2022, 06:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ugh, what now?

Traffic is backed up in the hallway due to construction, try to avoid that area if possible

Old 04-07-2022, 11:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Skeeter has called me out a couple times about needing to *FINALLY* get a trailer built under this board. I think it got to him too much, and this great looking 3D printed setup arrived over here!

This is awesome, thank you so much man!

I'm happy it arrived safely. This is the least I can do for you helping me..............OK who'm I kiddin, doin the HARD & COMPLICATED part of the arrow board for me!

I like what you've done with er. It'll be a nice addition to the fleet once you get er all did!
Old 04-08-2022, 10:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks again man! This is a really sharp trailer.

I'm not great at backing trailers in RC, so i threw on a tongue extension link. Not playing that in Expert Mode. (Erm wait, i mean "So that i can use it with other trucks that have more overhang past the hitch")

I soldered a couple chunks of brass box-tube into a square, made a crossbar so it can hinge at the board. Punched some wire holes under trailer. Roughed and epoxy putty the mast to trailer. Dropped some phone-cord through to get blinky and direction up top with On/Off and Right/Left switches down at battery box.

Once I got to that point decided before i paint the mast, i probably needed to make a lever on the mast with a linkage to move the board between Vertical / Horizontal.
Somehow it stalled again at: cut a slot in mast, solder a 90 to bottom of board, drill a couple holes, insert a couple pins and run a linkage.

Part of me wants to find reference pics to do it 'Correct' style, the other says Just Send It! If board goes up/down happy you're good, bonus if it latches.

Last edited by frizzen; 04-08-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Wait. What kind of weirdo has a HOBBY that would involve reading stuff like Federal Highway Administration manuals?

Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices
https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2003r1/part6/part6f3.htm

So my 4x8 foot panel Flashing Arrow Board is a 'Type C' panel, and is suitable for High-speed, High-volume traffic flow control projects
Old 12-12-2022, 04:29 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road

Well, now that you mention it, I am one of those weirdos. I love the MUTCD. I really like the models I build to look like what they do in the real world. And standards like the MUTCD are a great resource in determining sizing, clearances, functionality, etc. I've been in the standards world for most of my working life and have learned that there are standards for almost everything, just have to figure out which organization writes the one(s) your interested in.

I like to make items that no one else does and that add some variety to the operations of our models. As an example here are a few of the models I've made that are in fact based on the MUTCD like Frizzen's arrow board. If you've been to the Indy or Ohio meets the last few years you've probably seen them.
Portable, Changeable, Message Sign (PCMS for short). The one I made meets all the MUTCD criteria for size, height above ground when deployed, font, maximum number of characters and lines of text, and color.

[img][/img]

The traffic cones around the sign are also scale 28" high with proper 6" and 4" reflective bands so they can be used on all roads under all light conditions.

Another item I made is a set of temporary traffic contol lights. The MUTCD dictates size of light heads, their color, color of trailer, height of the individual light heads above ground when set up and more. The MUTCD also provides guidance in how to set up traffic control zones.

[img]/img]

I think signs add a nice touch of reality to our scaled down world when we get together for meets. I've seen a number of different signs in use over the years but almost none of them really resemble their real world counterparts. The MUTCD has a whole ton of standards dealing with size, shape, color, wording, permissible fonts and sizes. height above ground, placement and on and on. Can you imagine the confusion that would exist if everyone made and placed signs as they saw fit to do?

[img][/img]

The top sign in this photo is correct to scale 48" by 48" 'square on point' (government verbosity at it's finest) with correct font, size and placement and colors. The bottom sign is ???.

Just a few examples of why I like 'standards'. And Frizz, I absolutely take no offense to the term 'weirdo.' I am. But the general public probably considers us all to be a bit weird in being grown ups playing with our "toys."
Old 12-13-2022, 12:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Zabco, I didn't intend for anyone to take offense or feel called out. I love seeing your work and how much more it kicks up the realism!
But i also randomly like to Shake the Monkey-Tree, to see if anybody is paying attention.

Those portable stopsigns look very sweet! Are they functional and coordinated too?

My hackjob of an arrow board started as Stuck in traffic watching one, designed the rest of circuit sitting in traffic. The tougher part was trying to learn the correct name, to find a manufacturer with listed specs or a scaled pdf drawing. Wanco had the documents available, so it 'won'.

The industry i work in is even more full of standards and regulations, often with differing regulatory bodies overlapping all over the world with similar or conflicting things. Somehow it feels fairly natural to try digging into the various guidelines to see what's going on. The minutia of a "square on point" sign, or how many flashes per minute isn't that exciting, but it still beats watching a bunch of millionares playing Sportsball.

I try to build most of the world to 1/14 scale. Then a lot of the cars i've converted are somewhere 1/14 - 1/16, or just not scaled correctly. The semis are usually claimed to be 1/13.5 scale. The excavators 1/12 - 1/16 scale...

Mostly i'm trying to hype myself up to make a stow/deploy handle, do the final wiring, and finish this thing in case i hear about a Winter indiana meet.

I dunno. I've gotten similar to reactions when people find out i'm into "Hobby Grade RC'' stuff, but i absolutely don't care about how fast the latest project can go. It cost how much? You're NOT racing? Mind blown!