RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 PM

TylerDSAudi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Progress Thread - 8750 Marion Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoranWraith View Post
You can have photobucket resize your pics when you upload them. Are you going make a jig?
Ok I'll try again cause I use photobucket. A jig for what?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Great start to the build! I don't think there is anything wrong with the size of your pictures. They are just not being spaced apart. Load each one as if it were it's own paragraph if that makes any sense and it will be fine. The same thing happened to me when I first started posting pics here from photobucket and Joe fixed it up for me by separating them.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Great start to the build! I don't think there is anything wrong with the size of your pictures. They are just not being spaced apart. Load each one as if it were it's own paragraph if that makes any sense and it will be fine. The same thing happened to me when I first started posting pics here from photobucket and Joe fixed it up for me by separating them.

Why thank you! It's a good start I'm happy with. I'll try to space them out
Old 07-11-2015, 03:17 AM

*Update*

Boom is slowly coming along, got all my cross members in on each boom, next will be all the vertical supports to attach the two boom halfs together. After i have these tac down on one boom section I will then add the lacing for extra support side to side, with then putting the other boom half to make it one piece.

Test fitting, checking angles and pre bending the boom sections.

I finally did it! Over years of looking at them, videos and wanting one I went out and got a mini lathe at a wicked deal! Order a bunch of tooling for it, can't wait to start learning to run this machine. Got a good book thats got lots of insight and lessons. Its slowly coming along and a lot of fun!

Old 07-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Ahhhh , now the real fun and satisfaction begins!

As a very new and still learning hobby machinist, here is my advice.

Practice as much as you can, I can do things on the lathe now that I initially had trouble doing.

Make your own high speed steel tool bits to learn about cutter geometry. The only carbide tip tools I have are two parting blades.

Start collecting various bit of stock so when you have an idea for something you are not stuck waiting on an order for material or for the local supplier to open Monday morning.

Start saving for a mini mill to go with that lathe, you're going to want it pretty soon!

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 07-11-2015 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Stupid spell checker...
Old 07-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the advice! I will look into all of what you mentioned and start practicing! I like it already a lot and I'm sure when I actually know what I'm doing I will love it even more!

The mini Mill is next to come in due time, I'm sure this will be addicting little hobby!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 AM

Update

Finally got the boom all together and brazed, Very happy how it came out and it has that big 8750 boom thin to big to thin curve i wanted to replicate. I have to just add all my cross supports, make some plates for the bottom for mounting and tops for the point shives. Then do the prep work and paint it up.

Once thats done I'm going to start on my tub for under the dragline and plan my rotation of the swing.

Also was playing around on the lathe, made some motor axels for my mini D6 Bruder conversion. They work great, not bad for a beginner Im thinking!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:43 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

I find it a little strange that you decided to build the boom first, but it's your build and your rules. You said you were not going to build by a scale but I would suggest you re-think that. It doesn't have to be highly detailed to be a great model but if you pick a scale and use that for all your measurements then everything will be in proportion and the model will look realistic. How do you know what size to make the boom point sheaves? Just an example of how things get complicated without a scale. Looking at the house I would say you are building a large model. Maybe you should try to figure a scale from that and see how it goes. Good Luck
Old 07-25-2015, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
I find it a little strange that you decided to build the boom first, but it's your build and your rules. You said you were not going to build by a scale but I would suggest you re-think that. It doesn't have to be highly detailed to be a great model but if you pick a scale and use that for all your measurements then everything will be in proportion and the model will look realistic. How do you know what size to make the boom point sheaves? Just an example of how things get complicated without a scale. Looking at the house I would say you are building a large model. Maybe you should try to figure a scale from that and see how it goes. Good Luck

I didn't build the boom first, I built the house first and the boom second. I just didn't completely finish the whole house like tub ect.. Im building this model in two ways to figure out the size of it. One is going off how i feel size wise fits me and what i want to build to work for me. Second I'm going off pictures and documents to get other measurements to compare. Like i have said many times Im not building this model to be a perfect scale model, I'm building this for fun and to play with with a lot of function.

When it comes to the point sheaves I'm going to go off what looks realistic to the boom. My model is a very large scale the boom measures from tip to tip just over 4 ft. But i know what your talking about, I'm going to figure out a scale soon cause a lot of people want to know what scale it is and to build certain parts as well.

Thanks for the input please always give more is always welcome!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 PM

UPDATE GUYS:

I've been just super busy with work and camping, my dragline project is in limbo at my fathers house as his work working shop has way more room in it then my garage, but I'm thinking I might need to bring it home soon so I can work on it when I get time.

Couple things, I have to get some welding done in the A frame so I can finally mount the boom to the house. I have been looking over motors for this project but am having a hard time sizing them, how would one go along doing this to determine the rpm needed to have a decent amount of torque but speed as well.

Thanks guys updates very soon!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Couple questions is people don’t mind giving me a hand. I’m looking to operator this machine off of 110v power. I will have a convertor to downsize the power to 12v or lower. I want to use 4 position joysticks I’ve seen online on other robotic websites. Now I want to have this thing wired on a cord from the motors, to speed controls into a wiring harness to the main controller with the joy sticks.

Is anyone able to help me with finding the right motors and speed controllers for this project? Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

I wish I could offer some insight, but 110V stuff is out of my wheel house.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
I wish I could offer some insight, but 110V stuff is out of my wheel house.

Well if you know anything to do with 12v or lower systems that what I need help with. It will be 110v in, but that plug will be attached to a transformer that will be 12v it lower.

So if you have ideas on motors, joy sticks or speed controllers for the project in that area that would be great