RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:56 PM

scottyk is on a distinguished road
Default First Tamiya truck build, MACK Dump truck 6x6

Hey guys I just purchased a abandoned bruder dump truck conversion from a fellow modeler and I decided to give it new life with a 3d printed MACK Cab. I have already done some body work to the cab which includes a few coats of high build primer and sanding it down, making body mounts and adjusting everything to line up and look correctly. the chassis I painted a redish orange color to match the full size rigs I see pictures of on google "I know really fancy" lol. I think I will go ahead and make it a 6x6 with a driven front axle. This is where I run into a question for you guys. If I put a TLT axle in the front can I get the ride height back down to where it is with the solid axle? It doesnt look like it will work mounted above the spring and mounting the axle under the spring would raise the ride height alot. What have you guys done to make it work Im curious?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Tamiya truck build, MACK Dump truck 6x6

Nice to another Mack being built
Old 01-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Since your using the stock 3 spd, rails and the axial trans for a transfer case you'll have issues with front driveshaft routing. You'll either have to space the 3 spd up as high as possible or ditch it for a planetary type transmission. And that's just a start to the issues you'll encounter.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:54 AM

gotcha, I was planning on moving the trans toward the back of the truck and extending the output shaft so it will stick out the front of the trans and use that to drive the front end. I have no parts gathered yet so I havent checked fitment of this. I was just looking at ride heights the other day and realized with a driven front axle it would be difficult to match the ride height of the solid stock axle.

With the Mack cab I have it lowered as much as possible, I actually cut the cab in the front to sit lower on the frame to get it to look right. So Im not sure if its worth it to jack up the whole truck to gain 6x6.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

It can be done but it takes a lot of modification to do it. Based on the wheel base your working with, moving the 3 spd back and modify it is going to take up space needed for you dump mechanism unless your going hydraulic, then you might get away with it. I would ditch the 3 spd before I'd get rid of the driven steer axle idea.
I'm on this kick about replacing all my 3 spds because they are a pain to keep adjusted and pretty much worthless in the big picture. They also take up way to much space that can be used for other stuff. Good luck and keep the pictures coming it'll be nice when its done.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the advice man I do appreciate it. I will keep going with it and see how it ends up. If the 6x6 isnt meant to be it wont be the end of the world, I just want it to look a certain way Im sure we all know that feeling.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:37 PM
White Line Fever

roadranger is on a distinguished road

Nice cab and extended hood! Are they for sale?

Jim B.
Colorado Springs
Old 01-07-2017, 12:21 PM

Well, everything is for sale for the right price but it will definitely not be cheaper than buying brand new if that helps your decision at all. Specially once the RCP dump bed gets mounted
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM
White Line Fever

roadranger is on a distinguished road

Understand! Was wondering if the cab and fender/hood assy. were for sale somewhere and then I found them at Shapeways. Is this cab the one with the non opening doors?
Looking forward to this build, as I might have to change plans on my 6x6 tractor build from a Globe to a R model. Spent a lot of years/miles in R models.
I hear that sanding these printed bodies down smooth for paint is a bear...

I'm using the F350 powered steer axle with F350 springs with factory holes drilled in them, and it does lift the front end up some. But so are the 1:1 6x6 trucks. I've seen some guys redrill the rear suspension mount holes lower down to get the frame to ride level. OK for a straight truck, but a tractor will be too tall to hitch up to stock trailers anymore, just like the 1:1. You just put blocks under the landing gear legs.

Jim B.
Colorado Springs

Last edited by roadranger; 01-07-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Looking good!
Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadranger View Post
Understand! Was wondering if the cab and fender/hood assy. were for sale somewhere and then I found them at Shapeways. Is this cab the one with the non opening doors?
Looking forward to this build, as I might have to change plans on my 6x6 tractor build from a Globe to a R model. Spent a lot of years/miles in R models.
I hear that sanding these printed bodies down smooth for paint is a bear...

I'm using the F350 powered steer axle with F350 springs with factory holes drilled in them, and it does lift the front end up some. But so are the 1:1 6x6 trucks. I've seen some guys redrill the rear suspension mount holes lower down to get the frame to ride level. OK for a straight truck, but a tractor will be too tall to hitch up to stock trailers anymore, just like the 1:1. You just put blocks under the landing gear legs.
Yeah shapeways is where I got mine, I also got a few extras like MACK emblems and the bulldog for hood ornament. The prep work is a little bit tedious but really not that bad. Just take a couple days to get plenty of high build primer built up and sand after 2-3 coats seemed to work the best. I think I have a total of about 8 coats. I plan on using a nice automotive clear and helps hide alot of imperfections that aerosol clear coat cans doesnt.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SJ...=user-wishlist
https://www.shapeways.com/product/DQ...=user-wishlist
Old 10-25-2017, 01:48 PM

Well this thread is kinda old, PB wont show my pics, so Im going to post pictures directly attached here.

I have not lost interest in this project and I am trying to build this a little differently than standard practice. Which is probably not the smart way, but I am tying this with my other hobby of casting and forming metal along with my 3d printer and design ability. So I am actually attempting to cast the majority of the dump bed from aluminum which is going well, although it is a pretty heavy dumper I think it will still work fine, I will modify my pattern to make thinner castings and maybe even make the walls shorter and use a piece of wood at the top like some full size truck do.

I attached some pictures of the process, the bed is cast from aluminum with traditional sand casting methods using petrobond sand and 3d printed patterns that I finished with primer and sanded down, the casting duplicate the patterns finish almost exactly, as this petrobond sand is MUCH finer than standard water bonded sand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161229_212122.jpg (157 Bytes, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 20170210_233146.jpg (157 Bytes, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 20170210_233153.jpg (157 Bytes, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 20170325_151141.jpg (157 Bytes, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 20170325_155251.jpg (157 Bytes, 205 views)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:53 PM

Some more pictures of the dump bed.. This file uploading sure does take a long time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170325_161953.jpg (157 Bytes, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 20170325_164925.jpg (157 Bytes, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 20170325_172029.jpg (157 Bytes, 205 views)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:58 PM

Well, Im sorry guys if this isnt working but Im not seeing the photos.. Im hoping maybe they're pending approval by a moderator or something but here are more pics of the bed sitting on the truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170921_000050.jpg (157 Bytes, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 20170921_000058.jpg (157 Bytes, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 20170921_000105.jpg (157 Bytes, 206 views)
Old 10-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road

Pics don't work
Old 10-25-2017, 03:53 PM

Well that pretty much figures.. That sucks I got some cool stuff to show you guys too. too bad photobucket had to take a crap
Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyk View Post
Well that pretty much figures.. That sucks I got some cool stuff to show you guys too. too bad photobucket had to take a crap
PB for now, works, IF you have the fix installed on your computer to make it show the pics.

I use Flicker, as it's...........................free, FOR NOW. Just upload your pics there. When you want to share the pic, click that pic. It'll pop up, with some weird looking icon things below on the rioght hand side. Click the one that looks similar to a right turn arrow. Select BBC option, & MEDIUM for the pic size. COPY the BBC it generates, then paste it here into your post. Hope this helps ya
I'd really like to see your progress with the casting attempts.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Here's a link that'll walk you through how to install the patch so you can see ALL of the pics again, EXCEPT the ones that were delted &/OR moved.
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ad.php?t=12878
Old 10-25-2017, 11:24 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

Believe some have to move to other pic servers such as flickr to post pics or start albums. I'm still using PB, but was new when the bs happened so I guess I slipped through a crack or didn't have enough used on their site YET.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Wow that link totally worked for me! but that doesnt mean everyone that visits the page will install that patch to see them. I really really dont want to upload all my pictures to a different server. but, in the interest of being a good sport and mainly the interest of shared knowledge between all of us I better just get started making a folder of all my project pictures, in hopes everyone else will do the same. Its a small community and if we all stop sharing experiences because of some inconveniences that would be a shame.