RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road
Default dx-18

so i am looking for a youtube vid or info on how to make it self centre i think i saw a vid for a dx 6 but i can not find and not sure if that works on a dx 18 also is it possible to turn radio throttle off
Old 12-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: dx-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack van View Post
so i am looking for a youtube vid or info on how to make it self centre i think i saw a vid for a dx 6 but i can not find and not sure if that works on a dx 18 also is it possible to turn radio throttle off
I called Horizon Hobby, and a guy tried to go through the stick tensioning, (Centering), process with me, he came to the conclusion that it had to be sent in to them to have a plastic piece added to the transmitter and then I could make all the adjustments i wanted after that. So I had my Hobby Shop send it back for modification.

David
Old 12-10-2016, 10:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

If you are referring to the left stick for throttle, on almost all radios it is just a matter of installing a spring. If you split the cases (careful with top switches orientation) just look at the axis on the right stick. Should be almost identical. I'm not familiar with spectrum but if thebigo had called tech and they said you need a small plastic piece it's probably a small locking slide that would have a groove for spring to attach. And it also may be just a simple case of going to local hardware store and seeing if they have very small springs with open loop on ends. I never wanted to wait for mail with radios I've had and just installed my own spring. The tensioning devise is usually just a flat spring (strip of metal) that is tightened down to increase friction during the movement of whatever axis. Or a slight tensioning of a ratchet groove and slide.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:34 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

If you cant find the springs or that and the pin that goes in the block along with a metal plate another option is see if your LHS's have used gimbals floating around that they removed from other radios and grab one and use the parts needed for your gimbal, as one of the shops here in Aus just gave me one incase I wanted to do the same but with my right stick, or find your Spektrum dealer in your area and get them to do it....

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:44 AM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road

I was on the fence about doing what Coop and Tracy are suggesting, and I am about 80% sure I could fix it myself, but I just bought the radio and didn't want to open the back and screw something else up and have to send it in anyway, and take the chance that I could have a transmitter that would be messed up for a long time because of other things that I caused. Coop is correct its a simple spring in the back, there is actually a video, and because I don't know how to find, copy, and paste youtube video's I am unable to help you, but just search spectrum dx transmitter gimble adjustment. The youtube video is for a Dx 6 though, not sure it would be the same as the 18? The guys was told the same as me about having to send the radio back but he just loosened a screw on the spring for the throttle side gamble and it worked fine?

Let us know what happens,

David
Old 12-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

If you contact Horizon at 1888 959 2306 they will tell you exactly how to set up what you want no charge they are great people to deal with. Ed

Last edited by JAMMER; 12-11-2016 at 10:41 AM. Reason: ad phone number
Old 12-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Apprentice

thanks every one for your help and i think i am gonna send it to the service centre i dont want to screw up radio lol
Old 12-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

That is a smart thing to do. if you told them when you bought it they would have done it and cost nothing. That is what I do when I buy a radios I tell them I want the left stick to be set centered like the right one is. Ed
Old 12-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Apprentice

hehe oh no now you tell me haha darn if i knew that oh well i plan on getting at least 1 more radio in case i have a friend come by thanks ed

Last edited by jack van; 12-12-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Might be late but I have a dx18 and successfully made the left stick center by calling spektrum and asking them to send the gimbal self centering spring and a small plastic lever. It's very easy to install. I have taken pictures if anyone is interested in seeing just PM me with your email address.
You might need to call spektrum a few times to speak to the right person. They Try to get you to send the radio back to them. Just tell them all I need are those 2 items mentioned above.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road

Actually any of the new Spektrum radios have all the parts installed. It's just a matter of taking the back off and adjusting the centering spring and loosening off the ratchet spring. As well as you need to remove the 2 limiting stops that are installed on the throttle stick. I've now done this on my DX8, DX9 and DX18.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Apprentice

thanks all
Old 05-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick0 View Post
Actually any of the new Spektrum radios have all the parts installed. It's just a matter of taking the back off and adjusting the centering spring and loosening off the ratchet spring. As well as you need to remove the 2 limiting stops that are installed on the throttle stick. I've now done this on my DX8, DX9 and DX18.

mavrick0 or anyone that has a DX9, I have a new DX9, mode2, I want to center the throttle, doesn't seem too difficult. My question, which I'm having a hard time finding info on due to what we do with these transmitters is what mode should we set them up as, leave it in mode 2 after centering the throttle?
Old 05-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road

That depends on your preference and what you are using it for. But mode 2 is standard and leaves the throttle on the left stick