RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Australian Rigs & Roadtrains

Australian Rigs & Roadtrains A place for aussies to show off their unique truck configurations.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Freightliner Logger - Built By PaulNZ

Polished aluminum pipes, that's a good idea!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Green Horn

PaulNZ is on a distinguished road

Hi Jack

I picked up a length of Aluminium tube, cut it at 45 deg at the length I wanted the pipes then polished them up, as they are heavy wall they went straight on where the originals came off with a dab of glue. as mentioned they are 10mm dia. 12mm was too big but would look good on a more custom build, I was looking at putting a slight bend at the top to curve them out for a more traditional look but the straight ones suit my truck.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Journeyman

That's a good way to go. I might try, until now I used copper pipes and after polishing them sent for chromium plating, expensive though.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Green Horn

Hi All

small update, plastic Bolsters have gone and I have made some Aluminium ones, using some channel and plate, will post a picture when I have them mounted on the truck and trailer

Below is what they will look like: they will fold down by pulling the top pin. The other holes will be riveted or screwed not sure yet, in the assembly stage now.

cheers
Paul
Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Green Horn

Bit more progress with the trailer design.....next start building from Aluminium most parts will be cnc cut and drilled.

Trailer will take the std 2 axle set without the shocks.

Should be able to carry 1000mm logs with this set up and still get it on the back of the truck..... that's 14.5 meters at 1:14.5 scale.

If I am carting full length stems then they can overhang

Old 10-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

That looks good!!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker_Jo View Post
That looks good!!
Thanks Jo

........still a lot of work to be done but its getting there and I'm pretty happy with it too

As you can tell by the pipes it is a fair bit longer, should be able to cart full length stems at @ 1200mm long with only a small overhang (that's 17.4 scale Meters or 57 Feet)
If I follow what they do in the real world I would be looking for trees 1500mm long. (21.75Meters or 71.36 Feet) I cant remember what the stem length was that they are carting, someone will know

found a use for a few of the hooks from the kit also, I will also put one on each corner of the base of the Bolsters also to chain the load down.

now to go and find some trees to cart......................

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by PaulNZ; 10-10-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Journeyman

No Paul, bad idea, leave the trees alone. You should go and make a grill for me. HA HA
Old 10-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Green Horn

LOL....... I need to deliver the trees to the mill so they can make cardboard so I have a box to send it in!

lol

seriously, have a look in front of the truck, that's the last one, just need to polish it up..........I'll find time ........ somewhere

the beauty of CNC is that you can set it and forget it, give me time to multitask...........now I sound like my wife

Last edited by PaulNZ; 10-10-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Green Horn

Hi all,
time for an update:

Never liked the rear bumper and mudflap pole, although the pole is not too bad, but its still plastic, so I made my own, polished aluminium, what else!
Here in Aus and in NZ we have to run the tail lights and indicators out wide unlike the way that they can run them in the US in the middle so I made a set that are similar to what we see down here.
I am going to have to weigh this thing and see how much all the metal hanging off it has increased the tare........

also made a 6 pin connector for the trailer wiring, used the old bumper mounts for this, worked out perfect! its funny because I had the dremel fired up ready to cut the mounts of the cross-member then I had a thought......... timing is everything

Tail Lights on the inside, brake lights on the outside and indicators in the middle ........

I will post a bit more about them in my Vendor section if anyone is interested.
Next will be aluminium cross-members, but first I need to finish the trailer and I have a few bits to make for fellow truckers.............
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road

That is one awesome freight shaker. Truck upgrades are great!! That trailer is very nice design. Do you have a mfu in it!!

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Demond View Post
That is one awesome freight shaker. Truck upgrades are great!! That trailer is very nice design. Do you have a mfu in it!!
Cheers!!

I don't have a mfu in it, I am thinking of putting one in but it will not be the Tamiya one as I don't have the room, space for a speaker is an issue.

I will do another truck one day and that will have one as I'll do a semi with a sleeper.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:01 AM
Green Horn

Hi All

Just a small update: made a light and mudflap bar for the trailer, need to wire it up but I'll paint the trailer chassis first.

still need to find some tree's .....................
Old 11-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a great looking trailer Paul... great detail......

Wayne
Old 11-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Green Horn

Thanks Wayne, I stripped it down and painted the chassis this morning, went and found some tree's, cut down 8 that were perfect and cut them to a length of 1m, that has given me 16 1m length logs, if its not enough I will go back and get a couple more. now I just need to reassemble the trailer, put the lights and wiring in and load it up.

Can anyone tell me where to get load binders from? I want the chain type not the straps.

PMD? I cant find them on the site if they do.

cheers
Old 11-02-2014, 01:13 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Hi Paul nice truck and trailer, here is a link to binders and chains
http://www.gardentrucking.com/list.t...tegory=Binders
http://www.gardentrucking.com/sublis...%20and%20Cargo

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:23 AM
Green Horn

Thanks Tracy, I thought they would have them

cheers
Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 AM
Green Horn

Smile Re: Freightliner Logger - Built By PaulNZ

Hi All
A couple of updates, this is getting close to being finished but still a few details to get done.

First load of Pine to the mill, load is a bit small, need to cut down a couple more trees to fill the bolsters.
Payload is 15KG, it gets along ok with this but I still have some work to do with the motor and gearing.

As mentioned early in the build, I am running an 80 Turn motor and std Pinion,
I find it is a little fast but not to bad, but surprisingly it has no power, one of the guys on the Aussie Forum warned me of this but I had already ordered and paid for it so I thought I would give it a go.
I have now ordered a 60 Turn motor, its a Venom Brand from the US, the type with the exposed brushes (not sure what they are called, remember I'm still new to RC) and three new steel pinions, a 10, 11, and 12 Tooth so I can play with the ratio's a bit. I had thought of putting one of those reduction box's on it but I still would like to make my own range section on the back, bit like a two speed planetary as seen on Euro trucks, this will be the most compact way to do it I think, 6 speed would be cool!

It was funny, the other day I was in second gear going along the footpath, and turned up the neighbours drive which is a slight uphill, half way up I had to change down to first and it launched the front off the ground for a second, I didn't back off the power and it just grunted up the hill and settled back down, I wish I had a video running at the time! its interesting because if you look where the fifth wheel is its forward of the centre unlike the std position behind centre, and with that much weight over the front axle it still lifted it, imagine what it would do in the std position, no wonder guys complain about the steering, I don't have an issue with the steering due to the weight over the front. I will do a Tare weight split with front and rear plus total, this will be one of my decals that I will make along with my Company Logo that will go on the doors.

Also ordered a sound module for it last week so that should bring it to life.
Not Sure where I will hide the speaker.........................

Below pictures were taken from my Daughter who has a Photography business and has done this for me, looks cool in B&W!

thanks for looking
Paul

Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a great looking truck Paul.....
Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

That looks awesome! I wish I could find some logs like that around here. Most everything here that small has a ton of limbs and doesn't look very scale. Those look perfect! I use mostly red cedar for my KW but the truck is so big that the load is still close to 30KG. I don't want to cheat and use fake logs but I am afraid of breaking it with that much weight on anything but flat ground.

Oh, yes I have had the same experience with the 80 turn motor. My KH has one in it and it is very flat for power with no snap at all. I changed to a 9T pinion and the speed is better but if you need a burst of power good luck!lol