RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 11-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skeeters contracting services

A lil more progress was made on the skidsteer, before it came to a screeching halt! I just knew this project was progressing too smoothly. One of the Servo horns I received has NO splines on it. They drilled it, instead of placing splines in it.

unnamed (75) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

At least one side is finished!
unnamed (74) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

The servos fit so close in this project, I had to use some Polish ingenuity to make them fit. On one of the bolts, the nut is resting atop the nut of the other servo.
unnamed (73) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr
Old 11-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Since I'm NOT sure if the video from Flicker works here, I'll link to the Youtube video of them.
Testing the bucket curl
https://youtu.be/WlRAZTQLdU0

Testing the drive train......well, the one side that I was able to finish.
https://youtu.be/vfCVtoQJmNc
Old 11-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

If I were to re-do this skidsteer project, I would space the wheels apart 10(ISH)mm more. that would allow a little more room for strength where the center servo bolts go through! It would also make it so that the bolts wouldn't have their nuts stacked atop each other, thus achieving a better hold to the model.

Additionally, I WOULDN'T epoxy the wire for the bucket curl into the boom arm as I did. I forgot just how heavy that stuff was. It adds up FAST. IDK (I DON'T Know) how much weight this thang will be capable of handling once I get er did.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-22-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

On mounting the drive servos, maybe make an inboard sandwich plate that lets you clamp plastic body between aluminum sheets, and also wraps around the servo bodies (square holes they slide into) with the center mount holes tapped instead of using nuts?

Also for visable wire management, i like to clear tape over wires on the hidden side of the part.

Last edited by frizzen; 11-22-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
On mounting the drive servos, maybe make an inboard sandwich plate that lets you clamp plastic body between aluminum sheets, and also wraps around the servo bodies (square holes they slide into) with the center mount holes tapped instead of using nuts?

Also for visable wire management, i like to clear tape over wires on the hidden side of the part.
I would much rather had the Aluminum plate, or other structural addative(s) on the inside, but there wasn't room. The micro servo's are a=right against the floor board of the model.

Remember this?
unnamed (9) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Well, it now looks like this!
unnamed (76) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr
SOMEETIMES it pays to be a serial builder. I robbed it from that drive sprocket, & re-purposed it to the Bruder skidsteer conversion. Although it is a different thickness that the others, I was able to use shims to make them the same thickness.

Now I've got this.
unnamed (77) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

I didn't get any farther tonight. It's getting late & it's dinner time.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nice repurpose! Looks good

Ok then how about just making an inside plate wrap the servos on sides and bottom? tap mount holes, then throw in a couple more random screws to tie both plates to the body.

It'll hurt the ground clearance a touch, but i think the extra strength and low cg would still be a positive
Old 11-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That's not a bad idea, Frizzen. IF I already had my new computer & was able to do CAD stuff, I'd be trying to do CAD one up right now. The servo's can use all the help they can to be sturdy(fied) in there. Once the new computer is acquired, I WILL be initiating your idea for that.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-23-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Now it's just a waiting game. I've ordered the Sabertooth 2X5 from www.robotshop.com that will run the drive train, AND one that will for a future project. Since they didn't make it before the holiday, I'm not expecting them until next week some time. Guess I'll have to leave this one sitting for a bit, & dive into a different project tomorrow to keep my mind occupied.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:25 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The LHS (Left Hand SIDE) wheels for the Ertl skidder conversion JUST came outta the printer. A 33 hour printing marathon it was.
unnamed (78) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

I had the shop foreman looking at the front loader tonight, preparing to fab the new bucket for it. He said he hired on here to turn wrenches, not to burn metal. I told him that as the HMFIC (Head MF In Charge) of the maintenance division, he'll do ANYTHING in the shop that I want him to do, even if it's as simple as pushing a broom, or as complicated as fabricating from scratch a new loader.
unnamed (79) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Last edited by skeeter; 11-23-2017 at 02:28 AM. Reason: forgotten URL for pics
Old 11-23-2017, 06:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I like CAD, but run the old version... Cardboard Aided Drafting.

33hrs is an impressive print. any grip or does it get coated with something?

Might want to hire it out to a real welder, your shop lead is just gonna booger-weld it up and fail. Then tell him to go hire a Safety Guy to chew him out for how the loader bucket's supported. Need some wood cribbing in there, or he'll need the cast and bandage set.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

For now, I'll just be running the tires as is, made from PLA. Possibly in the future, i might could add something to them to make grip more gooder.

Yeah, I'm sure this project may hire out. I think I know someone that once upon a time has made these buckets I think his name was RCP57.

Frizz, there's NOTHING wrong with CAD, I still use it a LOT around here. Speaking of which, I think it's time to swing by office depot, & acquire some more manila file folders!

Here's wishing everybody a HAPPY Thanksgiving! Hope you all have a great holiday, & can enjoy time with friends & family, while sharing good food.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well, we did it, I bought my FIRST piece of HYDRAULIC equipment. I got this one \/

unnamed (81) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

I'd LOVE to have made the MOSTLY 3D printes, & a little bit of CNC excavator, like Stein did, but I DON'T have access to a CNC machine! Without access to one, I decided I'd just bite the bullet & buy one during RC4WD Black Friday SALE! I feel I got a decent deal out of it. The machine, battery, extra hyd hose, plus S+H was $1644.27! By far the MOST expensive RC I've ever bought, but I feel it'll be $$ well spent.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-24-2017 at 01:35 AM. Reason: add missing pics
Old 11-24-2017, 01:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tonight, after everybody had left to return to their homes, I started a new project. The Bruder Delta Loader. This d@m thing was by far the WORST Bruder toy to dismantle! I thought the disassembly would be the WORST part of this build! WRONG was I! There's like ZEREO room in this thing. I think it'll sit in pieces on the shelf for a bit, whilst I ponder it over a tad. Who knows, I my just slap it back together, & give the d@m thing to one of the nephews.

unnamed (80) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

unnamed (80) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr
Old 11-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Today in the mail was my batteries. The SLOW boat from China FINALLY arrived with my 2/3A 1600MAH batteries. I sat down & did what any RC enthusiast would have done, & made them into the battery pack I wanted!
unnamed (82) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Here's a comparison pic showing the size difference between the 2/3AA 600MAH pack, & the 2/3A 1600MAH packs.
unnamed (83) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr
There isn't much differnce in the amount of room that they need to have inside the model. There IS, however a HUGE difference in the amount of time I can run the Bruder D5 before a battery swap is necessary. Now I just need to get the tiny hardware sourced, & bolt the brass wear plate onto the dozer blade. I'll also be adding some more weight into the model. Since I'm running low on room inside it, I'll be adding that weight the inside of the track bodies.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I had a video to upload of it pushing gravels in the driveway today. At 56 seconds long, it's too long to email from my phone to myself. IDK any other way to get it from the phone into my computer to upload it here.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-24-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 11-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Knowing that the dozer needed more weight added to it, I undertook that task tonight. I added approximately 3/4 of a pound to it tonight. The process I undertook I call the Skeeter special. Cut lead to fit where it's going, mix epoxy, & enshrine the lead in an epoxy coat to eliminate lead exposure(s).
unnamed (83) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

unnamed (84) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

I sure hope this will be enough weight for it, as it's getting hard to find places to sneak more lead into

unnamed (85) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Last edited by skeeter; 11-24-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: left out pics
Old 11-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The video I was trying to post earlier. I called my brother, he's the smart one with computers. When I told him the problem he started laughing hysterically. He then told me I was a dumb@ss, & inquired why I didn't just upload the video DIRECTLY yo Youtube from the phone. He thought it was super funny that I had been Emailing the vids to myself, then uploading them to Youtube from the computer. I told him that NOT EVERYONE is as computer smart as him. without further adieu, here's the vid. Like I said before, it DON'T push well, as I HAVEN'T yet installed the metal wear plate on the blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YChiFPc-yEE

The New BIGGER batteries made a HUGE difference in this thing. I forgot to time them, but I'm sure I can live with these batteries.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Glad the real batteries finally showed up.

Looks like it pushes pretty well. Do you know anybody who reloads for shotgun, or is into muzzleloading shotguns? Lead shot can pack weird areas much easier than rod.
Also once you run out of lead hiding places, think about brass plates glued to flat surfaces.
--

Put away the servos, The delta loader conversions seem to all use the dual-output tamiya gearbox that use the 280-ish motors.

Last edited by frizzen; 11-25-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:51 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I LOVE the idea for the plates. If/when I run out of room, & need to pack more, I'll be employing that method!

Unfortunately, I do not know anyone that reloads. I do, however know of an outdoors store near me, that has said re-loading supplies. Perhaps Monday I'll head there & see if I can acquire some of them lead BB's. I've got the copper BB gun type BB's but I don't think they are as dense as the lead ones are.

No more Tamiya gearbox's here! I still have 3 in the parts bin. I don't like how fast they break. I've ordered a couple motors from the interwebs, as the servo idea WON'T be an option on the Delta loader. Found these on Evilbay, & decided I'll try to fit them in it. SOMEWHERE?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-3-6v-Gea...72.m2749.l2649
IDK if they will fit in it, or not, or how well. Once that SLOW boat from China carrying them arrives me, I'll find out if they will work.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-25-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Today, I lost a dear friend. A friend that's been there for me through thick, AND thin. A friend like no other. We thought you were a goner before, but you pulled yourself together, & soldiered on.

20171125_145000 by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Today when your tails shaft disintegrated, I knew it was the end. Rest In Pieces my friend, you'll truely be missed by me!
20171125_144943 by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Today at 3:15Pm, while I was attempting to craft a part for the Bruder skidsteer conversion my lil buddy, the flex shaft for my immitation dremel tool had the BIG one. The shaft that goes into the colette snapped off. It was a good run of 2+years. I suppose it is time to close this chapter, & start anew with a Dremel tool, The REAL brand name one!

Last edited by skeeter; 11-25-2017 at 11:34 PM.