RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:21 AM

Benni is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts

I've been drawing in Fusion 360 lately and would love to get some feedback, especially from those who have some experience with 3d printing.
I was Planing on printing the knuckles and case, the rest is a mix of commercially available parts, later headache, and magic.

[IMG][/IMG]

I know, I know, it's not for a semi or a construction machine, that will come later.
Even though I've been drawn towards trucks and construction machines I still would like to have a "normal" car/SUV and because I'm weird I want to have everything the same scale, My TF2 is too big and build semi or excavator in 1/10th scale is, well, too much.

The car I'm planing on building using this axle is series 1 (1991-1994) Ford Explorer simply because I used to own 2, and no I'm not even going to try making TTB like they came with original (lift them a little bit and you'll ruin the steering geometry)
This will be more like I always wanted my car, modded after my head.

The STI File;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16U...FjNokayNzUiCrA

Feel free to download and take a look, like I said, I would love some feedback.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts

Thats looking really good. Magic and headaches for internals sound fun.

Might be worth checking out the WPL axle upgrade guts. Cheap way to get brass and steel gears/shafts with bearings, with a couple driveshaft options.

As someone who also does 'regular' cars this scale, an Explorer sounds pretty cool. Are you thinking 2 or 4 door?

Just be careful with the 'truck comes later' thought, sometimes other cars keep cutting it off in traffic...
Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Kinda forgot to mention, before I started drawing I ordered WPL diff from Banggood and designed the case around that, looked small enough so the axle wouldn't be too bulky.
I wanted to have most of the "normal" components commercially available, I might be able to draw a diff but I doubt I could make one...
Had before a set of smaller bolts, smallest I think are 1.2mm.
Also had some bearings from previous builds but needed smaller, was surprise to find 2x5x2mm bearings, friggin tiny.

And it will be a 4 door, 2 door is a rarity since majority of them came 4 door. but who knows, I might design the body in pieces so a 2 door could be a option for later, or a ranger...
Old 08-16-2019, 09:33 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

question: what infill are you using?
I do alot of 3D printing, I am currently printing a 1/14 Scale Manitowoc crane but 1 issue I always find myself wondering If my gears that I make will hold up to the wear and tear since its plastic and not metal just some thoughts i have
Old 08-17-2019, 06:14 AM

Haven't given it too much thought, did design it so most of pieces are about 1mm thick (a bit more were I thought strength was needed), I need to experiment with it.
One thought was to simply try printing it 100% ABS.

But before I can try anything I still need to buy the printer itself.
Did have my eyes set on the Tevo Tarantula, good? bad?
But can't really allow myself to spend much yet when 75% of the household has had some serious health issues the last months.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:47 AM

Not much has happened here past weeks.
I am at a stand-still with the body/axles and unsure which direction to go next, might even start again from scratch.

But while I was so unsure I started up drawing the next thing, a conveyor belt.
Designed in sections to be about 60cm long but easy to expand, just add a 20cm section and a longer belt.
Does anybody have a good idea for the belt? I was just thinking about cutting a tube from a bicycle tire...

Yes, I'm still bored and this helps keep my sanity
Since funding for RC-related tools and parts is a low priority all I can do for now is draw.
Got an idea what I should do next?