RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Tracked Utility Vehicles

Tracked Utility Vehicles Snow,Mud or just plan dirt if it has tracks it goes here.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Espeefan's Blizzard SR project

Well, looks like I get to be the first to break in this section of the forum. A little while back, I picked up a brand new Blizzard SR. I had one in the past, and I always had a blast running it, so I had to get a new one.

The first thing I did to it was swap out the stock ESC set-up for something better. It's now running a Novak M2, but I'm still not happy with the way it drives. Ultimately, I'm going to get a Sabertooth 2x12, I think. I hear these run tracked machines very nicely. I also went ahead and added a bunch of work lights, to try and dress it up.

They improved the look quite a bit, but to be honest, I'm still not a big fan of the stock body. So I decided to try my hand at building something a little nicer.

I did some digging on the net, in search of some snow cat related photos. I found quite a few, and I have always liked Pistenbullys, but I felt that building a cab like that was a little beyond my skill level! To many curves.

Then I found something I thought I could work with.

Tucker Sno Cats. I'm actually quite fasinated by these machines. After finding more info on them, I started considering the idea of building one exactly like it, but just not right now. Anyway the cabs on these machines are really pretty simple. Boxy, but cool. I decided to give it a go.

Yeah, I know the Blizzard only has two tracks, and not four, but I sketched up a real quick drawing to see what it might look like on my Blizzard. Then I wrote down some rough dimensions, pretty much winging things as I went, and started building.

The basic structure of the cab, I built from rectangular styrene tube.

Just checking the fit, to get a rough idea of the size.

I thought it would be neat if I could build working cab doors, so I tried my hand at making one just to see how it would turn out. I wanted a more detailed look, so I also made window gaskets. The 'glass' will sit flush inside the gasket, when done. It took a lot of time to cut and file the opening and gasket, but I think it was worth the effort.

Since the doors will open and close, I also had build up the door jamb areas to keep the operator nice and toasty on the cold winter days. It also helps close up the gaps and prevent daylight from being seen through the gaps.

Since my first door turned out good, I needed to make three more! To stiffen them up, I reinforced the backsides with some lighter sq. tube.

Here, I was just checking the fit to see how things might look.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's Blizzard SR project

The next thing I started working on was getting some skins on the cab. I finished the front windows, the face of the cab, the roof, and the sides.

A little close up of the windows and the gaskets.

The inside / underside cab view.

And plopped on top the Blizzard chassis, just for the heck of it!

Still, I have lots more to do, but I'm actually pretty happy with the way this turned out. It's really my first purely from scratch build, and I think it's looking pretty good so far. What do you guys think?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Very nice plastic work. It looks great!

"No load is too Small"
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Your plastic work is Top Shelf there Nathan.. I really like the look of the SC 2000 it si a great machine I have ran one for a season about 5 years ago very smooth great view in the cab..

Keep up the great work..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

looks great Nate . It's gona look a whole lot better then the stock body .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I appreciate it. I'm not really a pro at this scratch building stuff, so the positive comments mean a lot. There is still a lot more work to do yet. I'm hoping to get an interior inside this thing, plus I haven't even started on hood and engine compartment yet. My lights should be arriving soon, and then I can build some mounts for them too. There are plenty of chances to do some details as well! It'll keep me busy for a while, I think.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Apprentice

trucker n is on a distinguished road

your styrene work looks sweet nathan also do i see a leimbach pump in one of the pics what you doing with that
Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Very nice clean looking lines on your widows.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

The scratch cab is definitely a work of art and looks better than the original! Can I ask what your cutting your windows out with? I'm trying to build my tools back up. Looking forward to seeing how you finish it off.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Awesome styrene work Nathan! How do you make your lines so nice???????
Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker n View Post
your styrene work looks sweet nathan also do i see a leimbach pump in one of the pics what you doing with that
Trucker n, thank you for the comment! I'm afraid what you are seeing in the pictures is not a Leimbach pump, but rather part of a panetary gear head motor. I wish I had a Lemibach pump just sitting around on the workbench!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Very nice clean looking lines on your widows.
Thanks Moninghan. It took a bit of work to get them that way. More then I thought, but thankfully, I only have one more window to do. The rear one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
The scratch cab is definitely a work of art and looks better than the original! Can I ask what your cutting your windows out with? I'm trying to build my tools back up. Looking forward to seeing how you finish it off.
Thanks Truckmaker! I'm glad you like it. You sure can ask. I'm always willing to answer. For the windows, I've actually been filing them to shape. I make some rough cuts with a regular hobby knife, but I leave a little room to finish the openings with a file. That way I can get a much cleaner edge. Hobby knives cut clean edges in thinner styrene, but it seems once you get past .020" thick styrene, your cuts get a little less crisp. Especially if you use the scribe and cut half-way, then snap method. My doors and cab skins are all .040" thick styrene. The window gaskets layered over the top are .020" thick. I have very little finish work to do on the gaskets because they are thinner. Mostly just hitting the corners up with a small needle file, to get the radius.

All I use for working with styrene is the folliwing. A plate of glass - as my cutting board, a good standard hobby knife, with lots of #11 blades, an X-Acto precision razor saw, and some # 17 chisel blades, which fit the razor saw. The chisel blades work great when you need to clean up the inside of square corners. The saw is good for cutting styrene tube. I also use a miniature miter box that fits the razor saw. Beyond a simple set of files, which includes needle files, a nice straight edge, and glue, I haven't used anything else.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in PA View Post
Awesome styrene work Nathan! How do you make your lines so nice???????
Thanks, Brian! You replied, while I was still typing, but the answer is in my above reply. I appreciate you checking my project out. I still think you are a better builder then myself! Just look at your Peterbilt.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for the info Espeefan, I do need to get some small files, The ones I have are full size metal files. Also a lot of practice on some thinner material wouldn't hurt.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

Very nice styrene work. I can't wait to see it finished. Good to see Optimus has the security handled.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 PM

B-Train Hauler is on a distinguished road

That work is the proof that we don't always need hitech tool to make hitech jobs! The guy behind always makes the difference!
Great project too! Can't wait to see next steps.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Looking good there, Nathan! I have one of the original Blissards that I run around every now and then. Yours will look much beter than mine Wish I could take the time to upgrade mine. But that is not going to happen any time soon.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

Nice work Nate, and smooth lines too! I really like the Tuckers, they are the most popular groomer in the U.P. of Michigan where I snowmobile. I had originally wanted to buy one of the 1:12 R/C Pisten Bullys (300w or 600w) from Germany but I never have, one day maybe. Do you on making it articulate?

Ben
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

NAte - exccellent styrene skills! the fit up is great and that detail line aroudn the windows is a really nice clean detail!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank you guys! I appreciate the positive responses! I wasn't sure how many of you would be interested in this project. It's been a lot of work, but fun too.

Ben, to answer your question, I'm not trying to build an exact replica of any particular Tucker Sno Cat. Maybe in the future I will though. I am fasinated by these machines. Rather, I'm just loosely basing my scratch built cab off a Tucker cab, because I want something better for my Kyosho Blizzard then the lexan cab that comes with it. The chassis will stay more less stock, which is not correct for a Tucker, as they run four tracks. So, no articulation - actually the Tucker Sno Cats do not articulate either. They have turning platforms front and rear, under the main chassis. Basically four track steering. Been doing a lot of digging and I think I could accurately model a Tucker, but I would need to machine a lot of parts.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Fantastic styrene work Nate, this should be a good looking model when you are through upgrading it.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11