RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 02-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Did you program the "Y" axis wrong or locate? I see some holes that look like they're in the wrong place. Or, is the tiny drill bit wondering off center from sticking out of the chuck so far? If so, add another event with a spotting drill or center drill that is more rigid then come back and finish drill.
Steve, in the first pic the divots are in the vise jaws. I drilled .05 past the part. And the jaws are only about 75% of the width of the part in order for the other jaw to clamp onto them. So if looking at that pic it looks like they are off but they are in the right location. The second pic shows parts in the jaws and were machined where they should be. And the orange strip is just a piece of vinyl tape to take up any slight difference in part sizes so all parts were held firmly in vise jaws. I did use a spotting drill 1/8" 90^ point at .04 depth so not to enlarge the holes for the #50 drill. The holes came out perfect, no wondering of the bit. At least from where I'm looking . Lol!!!
Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here is a better pic

Old 02-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I see it now. I looked quickly not noticing I was looking at the bottom of your jig
When you go to steel; Are you going to make a pin and bushing like Stevie did on his tracks?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I was worried about not having any negative arc and having to cut reliefs in each pad. But there is plenty, although the two reliefs would only help in partical release.

Steve, I am just using a 3/16" rod cut down to 1/8" on each end for the pins. Made out of brass just like first time I did them. They have lasted awhile but I still would like to make a set in steel. I am thinking I'm going to just do them the same way. Steves bushings are better but a bit more work. Although I could still do something similar. The way I have the pins , once the links are bolted to pads is when the links are secured and can roll or grind . In the past the brass pins were the first to wear and not the aluminum. Not saying these are now easy to make but a couple years of hard service isn't too bad. For however old the dozer is , it's had a lot of time in it and links are original. I did replace pins last year. Mistakes I made on them- I cut 3/16 hollow rod and soldered onto 1/8 pins. Figured it would be easier. It was but the solder has reacted with alum and seized to where I can't get them apart. And I don't have any master link. I just take about 6-7 pads off and that allows me to work enough distance in the pins to get the one side to rotate off and then easy to pull tracks.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I know it's not any particular part but I just wanted to make something with some complex curves to see how the 3D machineing would work. All the ball endmills I have are well abused to it could have been a little better. Maybe this will help anyone thinking about one of these machines , and how easy it is. ,,, again I never had any experience with cam or cnc machines so if I can do it anyone can. Really opens the door for some future projects I have in mind!!, enjoy,,,,

Just a quick rub with some scotchbrite

Old 03-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The machineing took just a little over 2 hours. Had a step over of .005 for final pass. It's pretty smooth but some visible paths are there. Some fine sanding would eliminate them. I did give it a quick polish with dremel, spent a whole 5 min!!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

What's the nipple for and why is there only one?

Looking sweet! Keep it up! My wife says I can buy one but she thinks I should learn how to draw first. I have been working with my etch a sketch ever since! Just need to sell about 50 trailers now to pay for it!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
What's the nipple for and why is there only one?

Looking sweet! Keep it up! My wife says I can buy one but she thinks I should learn how to draw first. I have been working with my etch a sketch ever since! Just need to sell about 50 trailers now to pay for it!
Lol!! Had some geometry in the part I wanted to see how it machined with a ball endmill. The nipple has a couple features, flat top and round curved base. The others are the lines that are barely visible at other end. They are transitions on uneven planes and curves. So the part is just a paperweight and no significance other than just playing around.

Hey reg, the best thing about this is I can't draw either!! The computer can!! Only problem with that , I don't communicate with computer very well!!!! When I want to make a simple square the darn computer asks too many questions,, like, where? What plane? What shape, size? How thick ,,, alot like a first date!!! Way too much questions and not enough actions!! But eventually I'm learning to speak computeries , very similar to my chinglish voculabarly. I've traded in my usual torture tools (hammer and torch) for more appropriate computers, now I threaten it with a magnet!!! So far the hard part of this has morphed into part holding. For the track links it made sense to cut soft jaws because of so many parts to be made. On some other one off parts the challenge has become how to design and make it with having to hold and machine it in mind. From my university of YouTube degree in cnc machineing a few guys had said that designers should spend time in the machine shop to get a better understanding of what available machines the company has can do. And the process involved. Really helps knowing what you can do and can't do. Like if I don't have a 1/2" drill then I better not make any holes 1/2" while designing my part. ,,,,, but I'm also learning from a lot of knowledgable people to think outside the box,,, like no 1/2" drills, no problem, use a 1/4" mill and extrapolate out to 1/2".
Old 03-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And also chipping away at the fleet expansion project. Some pics of the camber I'm incorporating into the beams of trailers.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Looking good DB I 'll have to come down to your place so you can teach my. Ed
Old 03-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

I like the bent beam ok sorry camber
Old 03-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Forgot I had a two piece vise, coming in handy now. I made two end pieces for the frame rails to nest in. Clamp them together and holds everything vertical and in dimensional shape for welding.

The piece of alum in front is the first jig holder I made, it was too tight and needed a relief radius for the bend of ibeams. A little humor on that side project, first ones took me about 4 hours to figure out the cam for the cnc mill, the second set took about three min!!! One nice thing about fusion 360 is they give a brief description of what task at hand will do. Nice but if you don't know what any of it means then it's basically keep hitting buttons and operations until I find one that does what I want. That's why the 4 hours vs 4 min!!
Old 03-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The bulkhead between deck frame and axle frame.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Last week

This week

And some more on the trailer , close on the chamfer mill while machineing the support arms

Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And starting to understand the benefits of the printer, can make parts for penny's before setting up the mill and actually cutting the part from metal.

Some of the machineing, this time I completely let the computer generate oath and speeds,, worked out well .

Have to machine bottom side and one side opp for the pivot pinhole.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Look at you with your fancy tools hey?lol Awesome work as always. Let me know when you get the suspension figured out so that I can order some.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Look at you with your fancy tools hey?lol Awesome work as always. Let me know when you get the suspension figured out so that I can order some.

Just for you reg .

I think it will work?!?!?? Lol!!! Have been meaning to Email you and harass you!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

Just for you reg .

I think it will work?!?!?? Lol!!! Have been meaning to Email you and harass you!!!
You sound like my wife. Making promises to me but not following through. I know, I know, back to the shop just in case she reads this....
Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

Looks too me that you have two 3d printers , one for plastic and one for metal....one which can only add material and the other can only remove material to make a part!!! Nice!!
Old 03-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

On my journey home yesterday, I stopped in to have a visit with Cooper. I managed to get through security by infiltrating the giant watch dog and little Bulldogs by letting them slobber all over my face