RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Knight Krawler

that is a very nice knight hauler just redid mine also gonna post pic soon! funny i almost went with that same color shceme

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

your body work is great.all the corners and rounded parts or spot on. great job!!!!!!!!!!

RIP FREDDYGEARDRIVE
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I can send you the others I have later if you want?
Thanks Aaron, But you posted alot of them already, thanks. Right now I'm having major issues downloading and uploading so theres not alot I could do with them. I need some of that Hi-speed Comcast internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Demond View Post
that is a very nice knight hauler just redid mine also gonna post pic soon! funny i almost went with that same color shceme
Thanks for the comment Diesel Demond. I used the colors on a 1/25th AMT
W900 when I was a youngster, my daughters favorite color on a vehicle is blue so I thought I'd give it a try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudd View Post
your body work is great.all the corners and rounded parts or spot on. great job!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks spudd, it was my first shot at body work since I was a kid bashin' truck kits, I have never been able to build something from a kit without changing it up somehow! We were discussing the paint at PFB's and I told them I used 3 types of masking tape to see what worked the best. Travis brought up your post about 3M Fine Line, I had read that the night before throwing it together to go play. I doubt I'll find it here in town, will probably have to to drive about 45 minutes to get some, but I will definently have some before I do it again, thanks for that info!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well I finally got it back on the table. Took it all back apart to paint the chassis and continue working on the lift axle.

More to come, Thanks for looking!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Chassis looks great!! Love that color of Blue! I bet that color really looks good out in the sun!! Cant wait to see more progress!! What did you use for your lift axle?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Journeyman

plow jockey is on a distinguished road

Nice tri axle. I really like that blue. Thats a sweet lift axle! Can't wait for more updates.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Chassis looks great!! Love that color of Blue! I bet that color really looks good out in the sun!! Cant wait to see more progress!! What did you use for your lift axle?
Thanks Aaron, the chassis will get another coat of blue and a coat of clear. The lift axle is a trailer axle that I cut the center out of just inboard of the inner most bearings/bushings. The center was replaced with 2 pieces of brass tube which the trailer axle sections slide into. I formed a u shaped piece of brass and soldered between the tubes. Then I formed a truss out of brass and soldered it across the top of the u and the tubes. Covered the rough edges with a little filler and primed it. I need to clean it up a bit and top coat it.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by plow jockey View Post
Nice tri axle. I really like that blue. Thats a sweet lift axle! Can't wait for more updates.
Thanks Plow Jockey, the paint is Rustoleum Metalic Colbalt Blue.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Default Bridge Beam Hauler

Well the Knight Krawler has all its own electronics now so I can put my crawler back together. So since I'm recovering from surgery I had the day after Christmas and have got to the point of being able to walk down the stairs to my shop in the basement, I have plenty of time to build! (3 more weeks till I go back to work)
I got the lift axle finished and operating, eventually I will put a digital servo in it so I can program it to get a more prototypical lift speed. Right now its a Hitec MG 645, If anybody knows how I can slow it down I'd appreciate the info, I'm using a aux switch on an AirTronics RDS8000.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUpyghe-nXo

I got the HPI 7:1 GRU and 55T motor mounted and the shift linkage adjusted. Still have a few thing to do before I test run the chassis. Enough typing here's a bunch of pictures.

Thanks for looking
Kent
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have come a long way on this. The lift axle looks good the way you made it, and I agree with everyone else, that is a pretty blue.

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

Sweet set up, I cant wait to see this baby all together.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road

The chassis looks fantastic.

Does the lift axle have any suspension movement to it in the down position, or is it solid? I was just thinking if it is, you may have problems with bumps takiing the weight off of the drive axles and causing you to get stuck? I know in real life the lift axles are raised in rough terrain to prevent this, I just didnt know if yours was so solidly mounted to the servo that it may cause problems on relatively small bumps.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Looking good Kent. The chassis sure looks nice with that paint on it! Is that an aluminum transmission case, or the stock one painted silver? That's a nice touch. A little bling to constrast the paint.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays24 View Post
You have come a long way on this. The lift axle looks good the way you made it, and I agree with everyone else, that is a pretty blue.

Big John
Thanks Big John, The blue really looks good after a couple coats of high gloss clear! Give cindy our Love and Prayers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
Sweet set up, I cant wait to see this baby all together.
Hi BRICKNICK, I'd like to see it done too but I keep coming up with little things to add to it which sets final assembly back not to mention final paint which I need at least 50 deg. to do. One of these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBeagle View Post
The chassis looks fantastic.

Does the lift axle have any suspension movement to it in the down position, or is it solid? I was just thinking if it is, you may have problems with bumps takiing the weight off of the drive axles and causing you to get stuck? I know in real life the lift axles are raised in rough terrain to prevent this, I just didnt know if yours was so solidly mounted to the servo that it may cause problems on relatively small bumps.
Flying Beagle, Thanks for that wake up call! I made sure the axle suspension worked well, and that the servo was mounted in the frame and everything looked good with no interferrence to anything, set the radio up and everything worked! I was happy until I read your post and thought DUH! that won't work. So here is the simple fix. I changed servo arms and slotted it which allows fro full travel up and down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Looking good Kent. The chassis sure looks nice with that paint on it! Is that an aluminum transmission case, or the stock one painted silver? That's a nice touch. A little bling to constrast the paint.
Thanks Nathan, the tranny case is stock, painted with the same paint I used on the headache rack (picture posted earlier in the build). I was going for the DD15 look which all the new detroits are silver.

Thanks for looking and the comments everybody!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:45 PM

uk trucker is on a distinguished road

Hi Kent,
Looking good, to answer your question about lift speed, here in the UK you can buy servo slowers that fit between the receiver and servo, I have used one from here before
http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...oducts_id=9380
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the link I think I'll have to give that a try! I tried to do some paint work and it didn't turn out. Looks like I'll have to redo the cab, probably go with a single color.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Hey Ken, this is a very sharp looking build.....i really like that lift axle setup, care to elaborate on the build technique?

I have used this servo-slower and it works really good (4-7v)

http://search2.hobby-lobby.com/psear...low+down+modul

Rob
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_farmer View Post
Hey Ken, this is a very sharp looking build.....i really like that lift axle setup, care to elaborate on the build technique?

I have used this servo-slower and it works really good (4-7v)

http://search2.hobby-lobby.com/psear...low+down+modul
Thanks for the link and comments RC farmer. If you scroll up towards the top of this page to post #67 I tried to explain it to Dabears. If you have any more questions or I can clarify anything let me know!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Thanks for the link and comments RC farmer. If you scroll up towards the top of this page to post #67 I tried to explain it to Dabears. If you have any more questions or I can clarify anything let me know!
Hey thanks, i guess i was looking more at the pics than actually reading.

Rob
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Not a problem, pictures are always more fun than reading!