RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dragline Rebuild

I have the swing assembly finished and it works good so I am ready to install it on the model. Here is a few pictures-

This is a short test video-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTuLGUQFbJg
Now to put everything together and hopefully it will work.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Wow that works nice, a lot of hard work right there, but for me that's the fun part! great job!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:07 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

So the purpose of the brass counterweight is to smooth out the start/stops? And it kinda looks like you even balanced the counterweight to offset the grub screws of it and the gear below too? What tool do you have to measure that?

Joe
Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Wow that works nice, a lot of hard work right there, but for me that's the fun part! great job!
Thanks for your kind words. I agree, building is the fun part!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
So the purpose of the brass counterweight is to smooth out the start/stops? And it kinda looks like you even balanced the counterweight to offset the grub screws of it and the gear below too? What tool do you have to measure that?
That is correct joe-if I were using an electronic s.c. the flywheel probably wouldn't be needed. I have a balancer that I used to balance my props when I was racing R/C boats but the flywheel is not balanced perfectly. To do that I would need a polished stainless shaft .080" dia. about 3" long and that I do not have. I just drilled a hole opposite the set screw and there is also-2-holes drilled in the top (for extra weight if needed) but I did that with the rotary table so they are drilled and spaced correctly. The balance is close and there is no vibration.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road

Very intuitive, would be very cool if you could figure out or design the shoes that could move it from place to place.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
Very intuitive, would be very cool if you could figure out or design the shoes that could move it from place to place.
I know how to make a walking system but if you look at the 1st. picture on page 1, this is the only place I have to work this model. There is no place to walk it. A scale step for this machine would be 2-1/2-2-3/4". No room for even one step. I have thought about making it a walker just for the fun of making the parts but it would be time and money wasted so it probably won't happen.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

I love that gear box. Once again, quality work upfront.

I would not have thought to use the flywheel.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Lots of fooling around getting that gear train right eh?
I never needed the flywheel because I can program the ramp up on the motor with the settings on my motor drive boards. They can be set from 0-20sec. to ramp up to full rpm then down, "regen to stop" or, "coast to stop" Without, you get a big pendulum swinging back and forth I also have my radio sticks set up on a curve to ramp up. I may try the flywheel someday just to see how that would work.

Last edited by 9W Monighan; 10-06-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

I used one of those doohickeys that slow down servo speeds. It gives the same slow acceleration/deceleration with a continuous rotation servo and it tamed my crane down nicely for much more scale operation.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:51 PM

John T. is on a distinguished road

Do you get much backlash with all those gears?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I love that gear box. Once again, quality work upfront.

I would not have thought to use the flywheel.
Thanks a lot-this is the 1st. construction model I built and it is not engineered very well but I think I have learned a little since this old model was built.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Lots of fooling around getting that gear train right eh?
I never needed the flywheel because I can program the ramp up on the motor with the settings on my motor drive boards. They can be set from 0-20sec. to ramp up to full rpm then down, "regen to stop" or, "coast to stop" Without, you get a big pendulum swinging back and forth I also have my radio sticks set up on a curve to ramp up. I may try the flywheel someday just to see how that would work.
Yes steve-it took some time to get those gears right. The flywheel works well for me but you are doing the same thing with electronics. Todays electronics work so good that I thought about getting a radio and-3-esc's and be done with it but I am going to try to keep it the old-style manual controls.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I used one of those doohickeys that slow down servo speeds. It gives the same slow acceleration/deceleration with a continuous rotation servo and it tamed my crane down nicely for much more scale operation.
I have no servos or radio on this model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T. View Post
Do you get much backlash with all those gears?
There is no backlash. The gear mesh is close to perfect.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Craftsman

Just a small update-I got the dragline back together and with this new swing motor I found the swing speed controller doesn't work. Now I have to sort out this problem and fix or replace things until it works. The flat wound resistor I am using on the controller is only 35-40 years old so I can't imagine why it would go bad. More later.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Would like to see all the details from your controls but maybe we covered that already. Shouldn't be a big deal to replace a resistor or two. I am getting ready to acquire some swing pedals for my machine. I will give an update when it happens.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

ive always wanted one of these sized draglines. the mines here used to have one they took to shows but i think it wondered home with someone.
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Would like to see all the details from your controls but maybe we covered that already. Shouldn't be a big deal to replace a resistor or two. I am getting ready to acquire some swing pedals for my machine. I will give an update when it happens.
Hi steve-Here is a couple of pictures of the hoist and swing control. The first one is the hoist which works good on the resistor set-up-

This is the swing control which I am rebuilding now-

I don't think it is a matter of replacing resistors. These cannot be found anymore. They were made for hi-performance car motors which turned hi RPM and drew lots of current. The swing motor I am now using only draws .125 ma. and I think that is why the resistor doesn't work-(not sure). Anyway I am reworking the swing portion and will post pictures as I go.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
ive always wanted one of these sized draglines. the mines here used to have one they took to shows but i think it wondered home with someone.
You should build one. That's what I did after watching my grandson play in a dirt pile out behind my house. I thought we could have fun with the dragline together and we did for several years but now he is 15 and no longer cares about this but I guess I am still the kid at heart so I still enjoy running the drag.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

oh i might build one some day!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Craftsman

I am re-building my hoist and swing controller with a different device used for the swing. Here is a picture of the frame with electrics removed-

In this picture you can see the left to right motion (swing) axis is off center.

This was okay the way it worked before but now it has to be changed to have the axis on center since there will be gears on this. These pcs. are all chopped up since I had to change things a lot to get it to work originally but I am going to re-use the parts and cut on them some more. Here is a little quiz- does anyone know what this is-

More coming later